• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Lions squad for 2021 prediction

Left field option potentially if you're worried about wing... big Jacob?
If he shows some form in domestic rugby there may be an outside chance
Defense isnt always the best positionally and the poor guy has been left isolated one v one against Kolbe a few times already this year, but ball in hand, a really dangerous player

Is there any other international starters that would have had a shot, who missed the tournament through injury?

Left field option potentially if you're worried about wing... big Jacob?
If he shows some form in domestic rugby there may be an outside chance
Defense isnt always the best positionally and the poor guy has been left isolated one v one against Kolbe a few times already this year, but ball in hand, a really dangerous player

Is there any other international starters that would have had a shot, who missed the tournament through injury?

you make a great hype man

you make a great hype man
Thanks.
I mean i feel for anyone that Kolbe faces one v one... but also, he has been made to look ridiculous this season and last, so its a very outside shot. But at least he has the past credentials eh?
I wouldnt be a fan of DvDM being a wing, partly because of the residency issues (leaving Scotland as soon as he achieved residency status) , and because Ive always been a fan of speed and style on the wing. Rees-Zammit looks so damn good, and Watson, I think if fit I'd love them to be starters, but even if Williams replaces one of them, it's gonna be a cracking back 3

Lukhanyo Am, Jesse Kriel, Jan Serfontein and Damien De Allende does not agree with this statement...

That was the general idea during Wynand Olivier's time, but we've evolved since then.
So you're saying the Boks would be troubled by a big, 1 dimensional carrier crashing into them? Ok news to me.

To be fair it depends how good you are at that 1 dimension. I wouldn't exactly say Tualagi is some amazing all round player with a varied skill set. We all know what he brings and, tbh, if England had him this 6N you probably wouldn't have finished 5th. He's a good example of a brilliant 1 dimensional player. He can do the odd bit of offloading and what have you but he's in the side to smash people and get over the gain line and I wouldn't mind betting that if he was in good form that the South Africans would be a tad worried. I mean, what center would line up opposite Tualagi and think it's going to be a walk in the park.

I really hate that I'm typing this..... but based on this 6N Keith Earls has been absolutely outstanding. Surprised (or not, really) the lack of chat about him.

Obviously the (justified) hype of LRZ gets all the talking points but I'm not sure how confident I'd be sliding him into a starting Lions test jersey against SA... it's not all about the flashy tries. How good is he at coordinating with the back 3? His decision making to kick or run? His kick chase? His communication with the 13?

LRZ is someone who would have to be exceptional in the midweeks before he's even considered for a test spot. He's not like the others who will walk into a spot regardless of form.

Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if Gatland leaves him out altogether. The Lions is not a development tour and LRZ has not played any team outside Europe yet.

I really hate that I'm typing this..... but based on this 6N Keith Earls has been absolutely outstanding. Surprised (or not, really) the lack of chat about him.

Obviously the (justified) hype of LRZ gets all the talking points but I'm not sure how confident I'd be sliding him into a starting Lions test jersey against SA... it's not all about the flashy tries. How good is he at coordinating with the back 3? His decision making to kick or run? His kick chase? His communication with the 13?
If anything is worthy of a ban it's this.

I joke but Earls just had his six nations swan song. He's not a lion this summer surely.

I have spent the majority of the last decade despising Keith Earls BUT, I do agree with UlsterRugby2012 that he warrants being in the conversation at the very least.

After being a little bit sceptical on LRZ's all round game to begin with, I'm converted. However, does that mean I'd be looking at him as a Lions test starter? Short answer, no.

TIL Jamie Roberts hasn't retired

I think you read that wrong: He's saying the Boks defence would love a centre to just run at them all day, it's easy money to them
Unless you're implying the current crop of Boks defenders can't tackle? :p
Yeah sorry. Haven't been sleeping much this past 2 weeks with the twins being sick and also teething and going through a growth spurt...

It's mad what stringing two good games can do for you in international rugby. If you're looking for the form Irish winger, I think Joe Biden has his number.
Dangerous Dave only deals with Churchill Cups in these cycles. Don't lower him to these mediocre glorified friendlies.

So I see that Pfizer has committed themselves into sending 9 million doses of the Vaccine between April and June to SA.

And the only hold-up might be how our local distribution company, BioVac, will do the distributions.

According to the articles I'm seeing here locally, the possibility is, now that 3 companies abroad, as well as the local company producing the Vaccine, that should the doses be available to be implemented, about 30 million people can be vaccinated before the end of June.

Which will be about 60% of the local population, and that means we will be herd-vaccinated. And well in time before the tour starts. So here's hoping the presentation made by SA Rugby to parliament about their plan for the tour will get the green light to have fans in the stands.

So I see that Pfizer has committed themselves into sending 9 million doses of the Vaccine between April and June to SA.

And the only hold-up might be how our local distribution company, BioVac, will do the distributions.

According to the articles I'm seeing here locally, the possibility is, now that 3 companies abroad, as well as the local company producing the Vaccine, that should the doses be available to be implemented, about 30 million people can be vaccinated before the end of June.

Which will be about 60% of the local population, and that means we will be herd-vaccinated. And well in time before the tour starts. So here's hoping the presentation made by SA Rugby to parliament about their plan for the tour will get the green light to have fans in the stands.
If you see the rest of the world. Alot delivered similar promises etc and well alot are now failing to achieve it.

If you see the rest of the world. Alot delivered similar promises etc and well alot are now failing to achieve it.
True, But our local factory has been making the vaccines now, it's just about the approval and distribution of it that needs to be done.

They showed the factory on the news this past week, and how many doses are ready to be shipped...

True, But our local factory has been making the vaccines now, it's just about the approval and distribution of it that needs to be done.

They showed the factory on the news this past week, and how many doses are ready to be shipped...
Don't get me wrong I hope it all does be a success and goes per plan.

Just here we had local factories etc (us being EU) and well it has got messy.

According to stat in the Times today only 278k of total dose have been administered in SA so far or 0.5% of population. That compares to 46.9% or 31 million administered so far in the UK and we started in December.

I have read it is at least 70% of population in order to achieve herd immunity.

Last edited:

Latest posts