• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Lions squad for 2021 prediction

I'd say Curry has become a good lineout option, and cant faletau take ball too? Meaning you'd have 4 lineout options, which is more than enough, especially if youve got athletic second rows that can up and compete quickly at the front. The rest is more tactical, positioning, etc. Couple this with the predominance when not mauling of 4/5 man lineouts these days, and yeah I think you're more than safe with 4 options, 2 very good, 2 good jumpers, and strong lifters. It's a tactical battle these days more than anything

Dont forget the Lineout lifters can be just as important in getting someone in the air quickly. Tadgh Furlong is an excellent lineout forward, as is Andrew Porter,

Last edited:
Wouldn't that be CJ Stander???

Nah, he's not a 7 and I don't think he will be playing ahead of Faletau at 8. Maybe I could see him at 6 but I think Gats will put a lock in there so either Beirne or Itoje. Stander I think will be an impact sub but anyone's guess really.

I'd say Curry has become a good lineout option, and cant faletau take ball too? Meaning you'd have 4 lineout options, which is more than enough, especially if youve got athletic second rows that can up and compete quickly at the front. The rest is more tactical, positioning, etc. Couple this with the predominance when not mauling of 4/5 man lineouts these days, and yeah I think you're more than safe with 4 options, 2 very good, 2 good jumpers, and strong lifters. It's a tactical battle these days more than anything

Dont forget the Lineout lifters can be just as important in getting someone in the air quickly. Tadgh Furlong is an excellent lineout forward, as is Andrew Porter,

Yeah good points there and I agree. For what it's worth I was only joking really, no way Tipuric going to be in the starting 15 on his lineout ability alone. Tbh, I'll be surprised if he makes the match day squad.

Agree about the lifters, I think the main reason why Tipuric is so effective in the lineout is that he's probably easier than most to lift not just cause he might weigh a bit less (though probably not much in it) but frame wise he's quite athletic. His quads are probably like handels and has decent height in him I guess but I agree with what you're saying in general

Hopefully his time at Leinster will trump Gatlands insistence and we get Furlong and Porter at 3 and 18, not Francis

Based on Gatlands historical pettiness, the above article, and Bristol almost definitely making the prem final I wouldn't be surprised to see Sinckler left at home
Agree on Porter. I think he started out as a LH, did he play enough there to be emergency cover if the first choices go down?

The captaincy duties aside, what AWJ do that no other second rower does?

He's got to be the most overrated and overhyped player there is (after Billy Vunipola)

The captaincy duties aside, what AWJ do that no other second rower does?

He's got to be the most overrated and overhyped player there is (after Billy Vunipola)
I'm not sure anyone actually rates Billy. Even at his peak I know loads who would have preferred a more mobile 8.

I'm not sure anyone actually rates Billy. Even at his peak I know loads who would have preferred a more mobile 8.
Ship long sailed but its criminal that Ben Morgan didn't get a second's game time under Jones. Won his last cap in the 15 RWC at 26, just as he should have been coming into his prime. And if work rate was the issue, it seems to have been one rule for one.....

Ship long sailed but its criminal that Ben Morgan didn't get a second's game time under Jones. Won his last cap in the 15 RWC at 26, just as he should have been coming into his prime. And if work rate was the issue, it seems to have been one rule for one.....
Yeah Morgan should have been our first choice 8 with Billy coming off the bench for some ballast in the second half. I'll never understand Jones' selection policy as why some players are in the chosen few while others are not.

And his reluctance to not have at least 3 locks and 3 13s on the pitch at anyone time.

I think AWJ is nailed down for tour captain at this point, leadership is valuable if you can bring those around you to be better
Might not start him in the test personally, as he doesnt have the big interventions needed for me, although he has a lot of involvements, but he's far and away the best Tour captain available in terms of experience, and the high standards you know he'll be demanding and pushing for

I think AWJ is nailed down for tour captain at this point, leadership is valuable if you can bring those around you to be better
Might not start him in the test personally, as he doesnt have the big interventions needed for me, although he has a lot of involvements, but he's far and away the best Tour captain available in terms of experience, and the high standards you know he'll be demanding and pushing for

This is fair. I shall let you live.

Who do people think are nailed on for the squad? This is what the sages at WOL think.

Back three
Certainties:Stuart Hogg, Liam Williams, Anthony Watson, Josh Adams

Centres
Certainties:Robbie Henshaw, George North

Fly-halves
Certainty:Owen Farrell

Scrum-halves
Certainty:Conor Murray

Props
Certainties:Wyn Jones, Mako Vunipola, Tadhg Furlong, Kyle Sinckler

Hookers
Certainties:Ken Owens, Jamie George

Second rows

Certainties:Alun Wyn Jones, Maro Itoje, James Ryan, Tadhg Beirne

Back row

Certainties:Taulupe Faletau, Tom Curry, Justin Tipuric, CJ Stander, Hamish Watson

Even AWJ has something to prove on this tour after being dropped for Shaw after the first test In 2009.

Even AWJ has something to prove on this tour after being dropped for Shaw after the first test In 2009.

He's had something to prove every year for at least the last 4 years or so as people keep on writing him off. Wasn't good enough for the last lions tour, not good enough to lead Wales, he's past his best etc etc etc. A successful lions tour, a Grand Slam, a WC semi final, a 6 nations championship and soon to be lions captain later and people still write him off. I'm sure he absolutely loves it but it's nothing new

He's had something to prove every year for at least the last 4 years or so as people keep on writing him off. Wasn't good enough for the last lions tour, not good enough to lead Wales, he's past his best etc etc etc. A successful lions tour, a Grand Slam, a WC semi final, a 6 nations championship and soon to be lions captain later and people still write him off. I'm sure he absolutely loves it but it's nothing new
Most of that is irrelevant. All the wins and trophies are from being in a team that is performing. The question is, would the team perform any better had someone else taken his starting spot and captaincy was different?

If Tipuric was captain and you played a younger guy with more energy instead of their grandfather, that semi-final might have been a final. That 6N win might have been a Grand Slam. AWJ doesn't really do much on the pitch (apart from give away penalties).

Most of that is irrelevant. All the wins and trophies are from being in a team that is performing. The question is, would the team perform any better had someone else taken his starting spot and captaincy was different?

If Tipuric was captain and you played a younger guy with more energy instead of their grandfather, that semi-final might have been a final. That 6N win might have been a Grand Slam. AWJ doesn't really do much on the pitch (apart from give away penalties).

In fairness have you seen Wales' other second rows? They regularly start Adam Beard.

Do people actually like the idea of a tour captain who might not necessarily make the bench let alone start (this is the theory not the player don't make this about AWJ)? It just feels wrong, surely they should be part of the leadership but the captain should be the guy leading from the front on the field in the matches and nailed on to do that.

Personally I much prefer the idea that it isn't any nations current captain as well but slightly different topic.

What do you think the Wales players and coaching staff would say to the bollix you just wrote?

Latest posts