• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The unconditional love for a team, where does it come from?

Saracens and Ospreys for me! I live in Watford, so that's why I support the Sarries. But the reason I like Ospreys is because I've always had this fascination with Wales

When I said I had a fascination with Wales, I meant that in a nice way

Thanks mate! At least someone's on my case.
Unfortunitly that person also did not seem to get the joke...

It's not a play on words, he means that it seems unhealthy to have a facination with Wales, like Wales is something undesirable.

I can't believe I just had to explain that...

Unfortunitly that person also did not seem to get the joke...

It's not a play on words, he means that it seems unhealthy to have a facination with Wales, like Wales is something undesirable.

I can't believe I just had to explain that...

Gee thanks! ... I might have been trying to point out that the initial joke was not that nice/unnecessary OR I might have been trying to make light of the situation and make a joke of my own OR I might have been trying to do both ... you're obviously so much more clever than me Nick ... maybe you could tell me which one it is :p

Could not possibly give you a reason for supporting Randwick. My mother always supported Gordon because she was friends with the girlfriend of a player, so she knew half the team back in the 70s, but I was never pointed towards or away from any team in particular. Don't even remember when I first chose to support them; think it was just a case of watching Shute Shield on TV. I do remember thinking Gareth Smith (former Randwick winger and legendary goalkicker) was the best thing since sliced bread at one point though.

The Brumbies, well, I had an affinity for Canberra as a whole after my Dad took me there on holidays a couple of times, and then I moved to Brumbies territory in 2007. Will always cheer for the Tahs though if they're not playing the Brumbies.

Support the Dragons in the NRL, my parents both support them, so did my grandparents; you don't survive in my family too well if you don't. My little sister even went against her mother's (my stepmother) support of the Bulldogs when she realised she'd have more fun watching the games with us if she supported the Dragons.

It comes from pride and patriotism of the region/community you come from.

You would always want your immediate area/teams to do well, as they represent your area, thus they represent you.

If you don't support your local team by means of going to the games, just because you don't fancy the sport being played, doesn't mean you are unpatriotic.

However, if you do fancy the sport, and fancy another team from another area of which you have no connection to (and said team happens to be a succesful team a.k.a Man U), well then....

You're a gloyhunting scumbag :mad:

So how would you describe my support for the Natal Sharks (because of my father-in-law), Racing Metro and Ulster (because of my favourite players going there)?

Well I'm from Connemara, probably the only rugby area outside of Galway city in Connacht so of course I support them but I'll always root for Irish teams whenever they face non-Irish opposition. I wouldn't exactly call myself a supporter but I'd have my favourites in other leagues, Biarritz because I go there every year, Queenland reds because I lived there for a while and the Saints because, er..... I'm not sure actually. They have nice hair.

So how would you describe my support for the Natal Sharks (because of my father-in-law), Racing Metro and Ulster (because of my favourite players going there)?

Well, with regards to the latter, if you actually attend a few of the games, then it is not so bad, as you are actually a supporter ( a person who goes to lend suppport to his/her team, when they are playing)
If you don't go, and parade around with a Metro/ulster top, then you are a gloryhunter. Fullstop.

With regards to the Sharks, I always thought you were an ex-pat from durban, so...
Are you from SA (by birth), and if so, where from?

Here's my story: I am born and raised in Holland, my wife is from South Africa. That's how I got into rugby in the first place. My father-in-law was a Sharks fan so I picked that up automatically. I watched every match from 2006 onwards. Not a lot of glory in those days by the way. During the years I picked up a certain sympathy for several players (Ruan Pienaar, Francois Steyn, Ryan Kankowski, Sterfan Terblanche and Craig Burden). Because of some players moving to Europe (Pienaar to Ulster, Steyn to Racing Metro) I decided to follow those clubs when I started to follow European rugby a couple of weeks back. I planned trips to Colombes and Belfast this season because I started to love rugby so much it actually took over my love for footbal (FIFA, not NFL).

Surely is Ezequiel was a glory hunter he'd've picked whoever was champions at the time?
So he'd be an Ospreys and Clermont fan (or whoever was champions at the time he started following the two leagues)

Thank you! That's true. Actually I've seen both my teams beat the reigning champions already (Ulster vs. Ospreys and Racing Metro vs. Clermont) haha

Am I a glory hunter for supporting the Pumas in the Currie Cup? I know we're awesome, but still.

Latest posts