• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Time for Hadden to go.

W

Will

As the ***le suggests, I fully believe that it is now time (well, to be fair I think it's well past the time) that frank Hadden should step down as head coach of the Scottish national side.

This is not a knee-jerk reaction to losing at home to Wales yesterday. Wales are the best Northern Hemisphere team at the moment and I can accept losing to them. What I can accept is the manner of the loss and the distinct lack of any real progress in the last 2-3 years.

If you look at Wales and Scotland side by side, 2-3 years ago they were in a similar position. The difference being that Wales have made huge strides forwards under gatland, whereas Scotland have only moved sideways at best.

Hadden seems unable to nurture and properly use some of the good raw talent Scotland has at the moment. Names such as De Luca, Rennie, the Evans brothers, Houston, Kellock, to name a few come to mind. The fact that Scotland "A" continues to be a very competative and (relatively) attacking/high scoring team proves this to be true. Hadden also seems to have a real blind spot to a number of players who continually play despite perhaps not merriting a place in a starting IV at that time.

The point with Hadden is that he fits in with the Edinburgh establishment. The SRU is essentially an old boys network that needs a major upheaval.

My vote for the job in place of Hadden would go to Sean Linen. Whether the SRU would ever be adventurous enough to consider it though I doubt it.

Completely agree, although i would go for a southern hemisphere coach and maybe he could link up with Lineen and Robinson to beging. Jake White possibly? though i doubt the SRU will satisfy his wage demands, even someone like John Connolly,Eddie Jones..

Yeah, I'd agree we need a change, he's simply not doing a good job anymore.

Jake White would be my dream situation.

Yeah, it's probably unlikely.

I don't think it's far off though, he'll probably pack it in after this 6N campaign. Unless we beat England, he's been riding that wave for the past 2 years.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Feb 10 2009, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah, it's probably unlikely.

I don't think it's far off though, he'll probably pack it in after this 6N campaign. Unless we beat England, he's been riding that wave for the past 2 years.[/b]

yeah but surely beating this England team is nothing to write home about.

Some of his selections are just plain weird.

How can he justify not picking Thom Evans, arguably the form wing in Europe out of the 22?

Who knows.

There is talk of there being a pro-Edinburgh bias by Hadden, and the fact that the Evans brothers play for Glasgow means they aren't in his plans to the level they should be.

I think the only reason both are now in the team to play France at the weekend is because Hadden is having a little bit of a panic. Might as well play the in-form players now eh Frank. Your job may well depend on it!

well I'd imagine it'll come down to the Italy game, lose that and he should be getting his p45 even if they do win the Calcutta Cup or beat Ireland that shouldn't be enough to save him, maybe 2 wins might.

2 wins or he should go agreed. Rugby is about hard results, whether we lose all the games by a point or win one by 40 it shouldnt be enough to keep him in his job. We SHOULD beat Italy, but its going to be tough to beat England or Ireland, ive already written the France game off with our forward deficiencies.

I disagree. I don't see how having a target of winning two games could or should keep Hadden in a job. My whole point is about the sheer lack of any direction Scotland have taken under Hadden. I'm sick of reading the programme notes about how the team felt they "underperformed" and the usual "must try harder" platitudes.

Under Hadden Scotland are going nowhere. That has already been proven in the results and performances in the last 2-4 years. There needs to be a real change at the top level. As much as Hadden seems to be a nice guy, he just doesn't have what's needed as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, maybe relegate him to a specific area and put someone with a more contemporary look on the game in.

My dream coach would;

Develop some fetcher flankers, good Richie McCaw, Shaulk Burger, Serge Betsen type 7's.
Use Godman at 10, but use older guys like Gordon Ross and Chris Paterson to fill in while younger talent is nurtured (not rushed).
Drop Dan Parks, maybe give him some elementary coaching role if he wants it.
Not be discouraged by players playing overseas, in fact, encourage it to diversify our team.
Rotate players to keep us from putting people out of position.
Pick teams in accordance with the team we are playing, just generally play smart.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Feb 13 2009, 05:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah, maybe relegate him to a specific area and put someone with a more contemporary look on the game in.

My dream coach would;

Develop some fetcher flankers, good Richie McCaw, Shaulk Burger, Serge Betsen type 7's.
Use Godman at 10, but use older guys like Gordon Ross and Chris Paterson to fill in while younger talent is nurtured (not rushed).
Drop Dan Parks, maybe give him some elementary coaching role if he wants it.
Not be discouraged by players playing overseas, in fact, encourage it to diversify our team.
Rotate players to keep us from putting people out of position.
Pick teams in accordance with the team we are playing, just generally play smart.[/b]

I think Barclay could become a world class 7, but I don't think we should use Ross or Paterson at 10 (Ross isn't good enough, and Paterson isn't a 10).

Please don't give Parks a coaching role!

The idea behing keeping players at home is that they can gel, and also eb rested, and available for al games, which isn't the situation for French clubs and summer tours.

Latest posts