• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TMOs, Asst Refs, Refs...isn't there still s problem with consistency

Even then. The refs don't even need to ask the questions now. The TMO can point out things to them without being asked.
And although interpretation is a part of it, it's hardly all. Take Ireland vs France's game. How on earth did the TMO missed O'Brien's punch? When Pape is laying in the middle of the pitch, you would expect the TMO to have the curiosity to check what the **** happened. That was a straight red card that would have conditioned the rest of the game.

You have one French ref missing a forward pass and hell breaks lose, forever. Owens and the TMO miss a blatant red card and it's as if nothing happened.

Owens is a great referee and I have no complaints about Owens' performance last week and even less with Ireland's merited and spirited victory - but really, there is part of me that wonders whether the TMO would have brought that incident to the referee's attention if it had been Robshaw or McCaw had been rolling around on the floor.

Where I would criticise Owens is his self-love and susceptibility to banter with players, as if he craves to be best mates with some of the game's stars. Paul Ackford in today's Times commented on various exchanges between O'Connell and Owens last week where POC was pointing out French infringements (no criticism of O'Connell by the way, it's his job!) and noted how there were no exchanges between Dusautoir and Owens. It is a skill of a captain to have the referee's ear (Moore and Robshaw?) and for scrum halves, but how would it be if Agustin Creevy or other players from the Top 14 were bantering with Poite or Garces in French with the Anglos excluded from any exchange or acknowledgement in English?

There is Owen's weakness in my view - he "banters" in English which is not a requirement and makes less effort than other Anglophone referees to ensure comprehension from the non-anglos - but again I thought he was in practice very fair and authorative last week and had no influence on Ireland's well deserved victory.

We have seen two brilliant performances from Barnes and Owens today and hearty congratulations to them!

Accurate and lucid on most all calls and they should be applauded.

I am sue some eyed idiots will disagree but as a neutral, all I can say is I wish everyone was up to their high standards!

Owens is a great referee and I have no complaints about Owens' performance last week and even less with Ireland's merited and spirited victory - but really, there is part of me that wonders whether the TMO would have brought that incident to the referee's attention if it had been Robshaw or McCaw had been rolling around on the floor.

My hypothetical question what if it had been McCaw rather than Pape was certainly answered last night.

We have seen two brilliant performances from Barnes and Owens today and hearty congratulations to them!

Accurate and lucid on most all calls and they should be applauded.

I am sue some eyed idiots will disagree but as a neutral, all I can say is I wish everyone was up to their high standards!

I'm not as impressed as some with O'Wens, but I have to say Barnes' communication with the players is as clear as any I've heard. He xplains decisions on the hoof very clearly.

.....how would it be if Agustin Creevy or other players from the Top 14 were bantering with Poite or Garces in French with the Anglos excluded from any exchange or acknowledgement in English.

Well, exactly that happened in the Napier test between the All Blacks and Argentina in 2014.... Pascal Gauzere chatted quite a few times in French to Argie players who had played in France. Other than Grant Nisbett mentioning it en passant, it went unnotice by "Les Anglos"

Latest posts