• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers 2013/14

Sale announcing a signing at 6.15am tomorrow - no word on whether it's for this season or next.
Presumably it's Braid on a short term deal.
Daniel Braid really messed up in his past life, eh?
Blues last season, Reds before 2011, Sale, and almost the Scarlets.

To be honest, I don't know why we'd sign him - we're missing:
a) Props who can scrummage
b) Locks who aren't beanpoles (though Ostrikov is due back soon - fingers crossed he makes it)
c) Defence coach
d) Forwards coach

I mean Braid's a good player, but he's not as good as Seymour and Doyle has shown himself to be a worthy back up to Dave.
He'd be a good addition to the depth of the backrow, but there are more pressing issues to address first...

To be honest, I don't know why we'd sign him - we're missing:
a) Props who can scrummage
b) Locks who aren't beanpoles
We're all right for back rowers, especially with Doyle putting in some good performances at 7 when subbing for Seymour.

c) Scrumhalves who can pass
d) Standoffs who can tackle
e) Centres who have brains
f) Wings that can score
g) Fullbacks than can defend

This also applies to the Scarlets and Dragons.

c) Scrumhalves who can pass
d) Standoffs who can tackle
e) Centres who have brains
f) Wings that can score
g) Fullbacks than can defend

This also applies to the Scarlets and Dragons.
Pfft,
If you ignore Peel then we're good for #9s. Fowles, Willis and Cliff all have a good pass on them.
MacLeod is a fantastic defender - Cips can tackle, it's just whether he feels like it or not that day :p
Leota's got brains enough to finish off Wales :p
Frank's top try scorer ever
Miller and Shepard can both defend well - Shepard especially.

P.S. Fight me IRL

According to Olyy, Seymour has been perhaps one of the only players to be up to standard this season for Sale. So it is baffling as to why they have signed a player in his position. They might as well have kept Onosai Tololima-Auva'a (who hasn't found a club after being released) and would have been much cheaper and been good backup to Seymour.

The money spent on Braid would have been better spent on a player from any other position on the pitch tbh.

And by the way, Sale's other signing from Super Rugby Cameron Shepherd has certainly so far lived up to his reputation of being frequently crocked. A shame as I was very impressed by him a few years back and he looked a good composed back three player.

Daniel Braid really messed up in his past life, eh?
Blues last season, Reds before 2011, Sale, and almost the Scarlets.

Yep.

He was born in the same generation as McCaw and also Holah and Masoe meaning international chances limited.

He Joined the Reds when they finished 13th in the 2009 Super 14 and then left just before they became Super Rugby winners to rejoin an underperforming Blues side. Now joins a struggling Sale side who are the bookies favourite to go down. So not much luck in the teams he has joined in his career.

Although at least he narrowly avoided joining the Scarlets when they were about to finish second bottom in the Magners League and he did win the Super 12 ***le with the Blues in 2003.

Hendre Fourie ---> Retired
Dan Braid ---> Sale

I wonder if they'll use Braid at 6? I think that was the plan for Fourie when we signed him.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Hendre Fourie ---> Retired
Dan Braid ---> Sale

I wonder if they'll use Braid at 6? I think that was the plan for Fourie when we signed him.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Probably the most obsurd omission from the Blues squad this season seeing as he was in reasonable form and was Auckland's captain.

Haven't watched much of Sale this season so can't comment too much on the make up of their loose trio, but Daniel Braid is a reasonably small openside flanker - accurate tackler, good fetcher and good support play - but he's not likely to make many big hits or hard carries that you'd want from a blindside. I'd be suprised if he wasn't on par if not as good as just about any openside in the Aviva Premiership though - In 2010 he was arguably the best openside in the Super Rugby with his form - being Reds player of the season, and has been one of the few leaders for the Blues over the last two seasons (which is why it is mind boggling he was left out - but I suppose it's no dumber than making Ali Williams captain or snubbing Gareth Anscombe, jeezzz Kirwan...).

Last edited:
Wenceslas Lauret is going to Racing Metro and the incompetent bunch of ....... have let another decent player leave Biarritz whilst keeping the old, incompetent and plain bloody daft!

Meanwhile "Serge Milhas is announced Castres next season"....a good appointment for him and obviously, with the speed of finding a new job, his face did not fit in the clique that runs the club and I have to say thank you for his efforts and wish him better luck and support than he had at BO!

Isaacs is still seeking settlement of his contract and one wonders where he will get another job!

Last edited:
Racing putting together some pack, is Lydiate confirmed as going there yet? Last I read it was between them or Toulouse.

This site: http://www.londonscottish.com/news/3108.php

says Eric Fry has signed with London Scottish, after playing in the ITM cup last season with the Turbos

eric-fry-homepage.jpg

Cardiff Blues have signed Samoan international lock Filo Paulo.

I still think the Blues should be looking to sign better players in the jerseys #1, #2, #3 but if Paulo brings the same physicality he brought to Samoa he could be a decent, relatively cheap acquisition. However the last lock from Samoa to play in Wales was Filipo Levi with the Ospreys who was rubbish and had some of the worst handling I've seen (very surprised that the Highlanders fans consider him one of their greatest locks of the past decade), but from what I've seen of him from Samoa he should be better and offer good physicality, a signing the Scarlets could have done with actually.

No doubt this will leave Draggs further asking the Blues to offload those kid locks who never play for them to the Dragons.

Although Paulo is known as one of those Samoans whose physicality can get him suspended regularly I think. He was the guy who injured Dan Biggar in November and also did this ...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aIYGzEeRRPg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Last edited:
Can you blame me?
He should have more fizzikality than Davies, Down, and Reed, so that's something...

Paulo is a pretty average player to be honest. He is a big guy, but he is very much a 'flat track bully' - he is good at running over / smashing small backs, but against forwards he is remarkably soft. His work rate is pretty average, and he doesn't offer a lot at lineout time. I think he could potentially be a very good lock given his size and athleticism, but at this stage of his career I really don't rate him...

Wats the crack with Toby faletau and a move to bath I herd when his contract at dragons runs out they wer looking for a contract there

Is Flouw leaving at the end of the season?
If not then Bath don't really need him - money would be better spent on the front row, or on an experienced flyhalf.

Sexton to Racing Metro? According to Twitter its all over the French media.

http://www.rugby-transferts.com/top...9079-sexton-se-rapproche-du-racing-metro.html

I can't find an article in English that covers the story so I fed the one above through Google Translate. :p

"After Jamie Roberts, Brian Mujati and Marc Andreu, Racing-Métro may strike again a big hit on the transfer market.

According to Midi Olympique, the club is in the process of Ile commit Jonathan Sexton (photo). The opener of the XV Clover (27, 34 caps), end of contract with Leinster in June, has already met twice Jacky Lorenzetti and may give its consent before the start of the next Six Nations."

Anyone think this is legit or just the one of the usual "possible moves" that are mentioned whenever an Irish international is trying to get a better contract from the IRFU?

Edit: Irish Times article on the story. http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2013/0114/1224328821975.html

Last edited:
Just recieved my copy of the Midol and its says Racing are in line to sign Sexton he met with Jackie LORENZETTI this weekend but Toulon and Stade Francais are also interested but if you read between the lines Racing seem to be first in line...but quite often in France the agents are also trying to push players and their prices (salary) and it would not be the first time that Midol has written untrue statements so we will have to be patient as April is when the clubs are allowed to release new signing and departures.

I'd be surprised to see him leave - especially as it'd put a bit of strain on his international availability (though as first choice 10, I don't think it'd matter too much).
He's won everything there is to win with Leinster (well apart from a celtic league since the playoffs came in) so he's got nothing to prove there.
Still, I'd be surprised to see him leave.

Doubt it I'd say it's one of those to push up his paycheck from the IRFU.

Latest posts