• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers 2015/16

Ah - wouldn't surprise me if my ignorance has been shown up - is there great things expected of him?.

Surely though, Connacht won't want to be relying on only 2 THs?

Big things expected of Conan. Many think he will be an international for a long time. Very good technically and still developing. Connacht probably have best prospects of all provinces on both sides of scrum so they won't be short here

How about replace Foley and demote him? Forwards coach?

In an ideal world that'd work but well I don't think either would go down to assistant and I don't think O'Shea will come myself. It must be added (Quins fans can say more) but O'Shea isn't a hands on coach so if he were to come it'd mean a restructuring of Munster coaching set up. Not just personnel but dynamics of it too.

But right now, if anywhere in Ireland needs a restructure, its the Munster set up.

Bringing in a pair of fresh eyes with relevant experience, local understanding and major credibility with the IRFU would be the best way to go about it.

This makes so much logical sense I'd be surprised to see it happen.

But right now, if anywhere in Ireland needs a restructure, its the Munster set up.

Bringing in a pair of fresh eyes with relevant experience, local understanding and major credibility with the IRFU would be the best way to go about it.

This makes so much logical sense I'd be surprised to see it happen.

Irish Rugby doesn't usually do DoR though and like to keep the same coaching styles across the board. Nothing to do with just a fresh pair of eyes or voice. But it'd be changing transfer policy, coaching mechanisms, selection procedures. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but that IRFU mightn't be wanting to break their system.

Conor O'Shea would be well suited to a non-coaching Director of Rugby role above Anthony Foley at Munster. He has experience with the RFU as Director of Regional Academies where he revamped the development structures. He's also been National Director of the English Institute of Sport. Munster's development structures need an overhaul. O'Shea has shown that he has the capability to do just that.

I expect him to get the Italy job.

Conor O'Shea would be well suited to a non-coaching Director of Rugby role above Anthony Foley at Munster. He has experience with the RFU as Director of Regional Academies where he revamped the development structures. He's also been National Director of the English Institute of Sport. Munster's development structures need an overhaul. O'Shea has shown that he has the capability to do just that.

I expect him to get the Italy job.

Your 100% correct. But IRFU don't do DoR. He's well equipped and experienced. Would make a super CEO too. I think the Italy job is his though.

Your 100% correct. But IRFU don't do DoR. He's well equipped and experienced. Would make a super CEO too. I think the Italy job is his though.

Who in their right mind would take on the poison chalice that is manager of Italy?

Irish Rugby doesn't usually do DoR though and like to keep the same coaching styles across the board. Nothing to do with just a fresh pair of eyes or voice. But it'd be changing transfer policy, coaching mechanisms, selection procedures. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but that IRFU mightn't be wanting to break their system.

They did it with D Humph though, no?

Yea and they deemed that a failure. Now they want all provinces to have same

dHumph was vital in turning a shambles into a serious contender for Pro12 honours and at one point threatening to do something in Europe. Hardly a failure! Can you indicate who deemed it a failure?

Also, Ulster still have a DoR in Les Kiss.

dHumph was vital in turning a shambles into a serious contender for Pro12 honours and at one point threatening to do something in Europe. Hardly a failure! Can you indicate who deemed it a failure?

Also, Ulster still have a DoR in Les Kiss.

Kiss is a hands on coach though and DoR is just his ***le but the role isn't a traditional 1 and IRFU deemed it a style of failure not necessarily D. Humphreys a failure but the structure. They want to have all provinces in same mould as national team. I'm not saying it'd be a failure but the facts are what they are. Now I'm also not 100% educated but the transfer system is 1 of issues and the traditional DoR role is hard to fulfil in IRFU model. When Humphreys was there he had more freedom with transfers and Ulster were given extra dispensation as was disclosed in their accounts at the time showed they got a £500K top up to sign Pienarr and later Payne and Afoa. A lot of the admin is by team manager and procedures are implemented by IRFU down. It is hard to explain but as I say I wouldn't be against us getting a DoR but can't see it happening.

Just on this - and after some extra digging. Part of the reason Humps left was because of IRFU. He was given extra private funding to get things up to scratch and he did participate in off the field DoR areas like Marketing and Commercial. But was pushed and if you read Ulster AGM notes it seem IRFU's appointment of Nucifora meant a clash of roles which ultimately meant Humphreys role was kind of minimised. And when I say failure I mean it in terms of it ventures away from the IRFU's desire to have central control from the top.

Last edited:

Latest posts