• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF's UEFA Euro 2016

This week's done my head in. On top of all the Brexit fallout I now understand that Wales can play football but not rugby and England can play rugby but not football. Yet England beat Wales at football. I think my brain would explode if the Welsh ever took cricket seriously!

Luckily it's the England and Wales Cricket Board, so we collaborate ;)

The times they are a changing.
Also LOL at the FA having Lancaster on a informal advisory group, FFS at least ask Eddie Jones.

Really hope England go with Klinsman or Blanc.

The times they are a changing.
Also LOL at the FA having Lancaster on a informal advisory group, FFS at least ask Eddie Jones.

Really hope England go with Klinsman or Blanc.

Yeah, think Klinsman could be really good for England. He adapted his playstyle dependent on the country he played in.

Yeah, think Klinsman could be really good for England. He adapted his playstyle dependent on the country he played in.

I don't know why American fans don't like him, they seem to think they should be world beaters within 5 years, despite having a shocking grassroots (from what I gather it costs 1,000's of dollars to play football).

*Three Englishmen :p

All three have one Welsh grandparent.

And are as Welsh as I am from the passion they showed for their country on the pitch ;)

Still hasn't quite sunk in what they've achieved though. I mean qualifying in the first place was a massive achievement, so to reach the semi final is just crazy... Wales is currently a little bit in dreamland!

English media claiming players as their own when another country is better than them, it was the same when we beat them in '88 and were better than them in '94.

Is it a "claim" when they're born and raised in England, and have two English parents and haven't lived in Wales?
Sounds more like a fact, to be honest.

Is it a "claim" when they're born and raised in England, and have two English parents and haven't lived in Wales?
It's a claim when they put on a red or green jersey, have played for Welsh or Irish underage sides and play with more heart and do better than their English counterparts.

In few cases the players might even consider themselves English but they're Irish or Welsh footballers.

And are as Welsh as I am from the passion they showed for their country on the pitch ;)

Still hasn't quite sunk in what they've achieved though. I mean qualifying in the first place was a massive achievement, so to reach the semi final is just crazy... Wales is currently a little bit in dreamland!

It still shows that the English youth setup/premier league can produce players and a team that can compete and win at international tournaments.

Doesn't make it sound any less graceless and sour.

Ah jesus christ mate, you don't even like football :lol: hell you even hope England lose when they play football! Why are you so actively getting behind a genuinely sh*tehouse article by a Daily Fail journalist who's clearly salty because of that Welsh celebration video after England vs Iceland?

You ask those lads if they're English or Welsh, and I honestly cannot see them saying they're English! You can clearly see what it means to them to play for Wales, not just in this tournament but all through the last 6 - 8 years they've been part of the Welsh set up.

2 out of the 3 scorers from Friday played u21s football for Wales (Hal played u19s and 20's for England admittedly, but he's been in the Welsh set up for 6+ years), and the third (Ashley Williams) was spotted playing for Stockport County in 2008 (somewhere I severely doubt the English selectors were looking!), and has played in Wales for Swansea City ever since.

Reason we've done so well is the team, and the tactics. Simple as that.

It does make me laugh how we've gone from being labelled as a "one man team" (a man England apparently tried to poach too) with no hope at the start of the tournament, to only being good because of our English players now that we're in the semi finals...

Last edited:
Ah jesus christ mate, you don't even like football :lol: hell you even hope England lose when they play football!

Ennit,
I just like WUMing football fans, they're so tetchy :p

was spotted playing for Stockport County in 2008 (somewhere I severely doubt the English selectors were looking!)
I'm a Sale fan, I know exactly how much attention England coaches pay the Stockport area :lol:

It still shows that the English youth setup/premier league can produce players and a team that can compete and win at international tournaments.

Well that's a yes and a no. True enough a large part of our team came through English club set ups, and a big chunk came through the likes of Cardiff City and Swansea City (a couple via Wrexham too!), showing that the Football League can produce players who can succeed at this level - despite the majority of the players not playing for any of the traditionally big clubs.

However the reason this Welsh side has done so well is that the coaches (past and present) have managed to build and shape a team with a fantastic ethos, desire to play for each other and their country, damn good tactics when it has mattered most and just that bit of luck which we've had very little of over the years - all with very very limited resources!

John Toshack helped find a huge chunk of this squad when they were young prospects, threw the likes of Bale and Ramsey in at the deep end when they were young, Gary Speed started to shape the group into a proper team, and Coleman has managed to build on that fantastically and has tactically managed to get things spot on through the tournament and the qualifiers before them.

Ennit,

I'm a Sale fan, I know exactly how much attention England coaches pay the Stockport area :lol:

God damn arrogant English coaches too arrogant to pay arrogant attention to the Northern Powerhouse... :lol:

Latest posts