• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF's UEFA Euro 2016

Haha I picked Iceland in the sweepstake at work. They were 140-1 before the tournament. Good; glad England got knocked out. They are a poor footballing side and don't deserve to go through on that basis. Well done Iceland.

Let's not get into this that the England manger is to blame. The whole system does not serve the national team and getting rid of the manager each time is just a token gesture.

Haha I picked Iceland in the sweepstake at work. They were 140-1 before the tournament. Good; glad England got knocked out. They are a poor footballing side and don't deserve to go through on that basis. Well done Iceland.

Let's not get into this that the England manger is to blame. The whole system does not serve the national team and getting rid of the manager each time is just a token gesture.
They have the players to get past the round of 16 though. Playing Roomey and Alli in the same midfield is ridiculous, a prima donna in Sterling down the left and their best goal scoring striker down the right is also plain wrong. That was the best squad England brought to a finals tournament since the 90's and they went out in the same round as both Irish teams losing to a worse opponent with a deeply flawed performance.

England manager was the highest paid manager at Euros. Iceland manager is a part-time dentist.

That has to go down as one of the biggest sporting embarrassments of all time.

They have the players to get past the round of 16 though. Playing Roomey and Alli in the same midfield is ridiculous, a prima donna in Sterling down the left and their best goal scoring striker down the right is also plain wrong. That was the best squad England brought to a finals tournament since the 90's and they went out in the same round as both Irish teams losing to a worse opponent with a deeply flawed performance.

Yes players, but not the team. Hodgson has just quit, but we've gone through so many managers in the last 20 years that finding the right one is not going to happen. The Premier League does not serve the National team and the FA is powerless against this behemoth. The foreign players make England football players look good, but when England players play for the national team the deficiency in their technical skills and lack of football IQ are brutally exposed.

Last edited:
The Premier League really being found out now though. An average league with overhyped players being funded by world class marketing. Didi Hamman made great point too in that young English players getting too big wages too soon and being over hyped that it ruins guys. They're not been made earn it. In saying that Rashford did more in his cameo than most but that team have no heart and too many egos I think.

The Premier League really being found out now though. An average league with overhyped players being funded by world class marketing. Didi Hamman made great point too in that young English players getting too big wages too soon and being over hyped that it ruins guys. They're not been made earn it. In saying that Rashford did more in his cameo than most but that team have no heart and too many egos I think.

Rahim Sterling being a prime example of getting too much too soon. £50 millions for that and his final ball was shocking this tournament. As a Liverpool fan, so glad they sold him for that money.

Rahim Sterling being a prime example of getting too much too soon. £50 millions for that and his final ball was shocking this tournament. As a Liverpool fan, so glad they sold him for that money.

Exactly like Sterling got a good season on back of magic from Sturridge and Suarez.
But you look at teams like german clubs all the pulse of every team is German.
The Premier League is prime example of how too much money is bad.

Iceland has 40,000 males of footballing age. England have got more than that in prison.

Tears :lol:

What's Roy Hodgson's favourite book series?

A Song of Iceland and Fired

Yes players, but not the team. Hodgson has just quit, but we've gone through so many managers in the last 20 years that finding the right one is not going to happen. The Premier League does not serve the National team and the FA is powerless against this behemoth. The foreign players make England football players look good, but when England players play for the national team the deficiency in their technical skills and lack of football IQ are brutally exposed.

having a league system in which your best players play against the world's best players week in week out will only make your players better... the problem is that the premier league season kicks the **** out of players so that they are exhausted by the time international competitions come around because they have to play tough teams week in and week out compared to other leagues that only have 5 competitive teams maximum

throw in the fact that the english have this idea that they have a god given right to win international tournaments means ridiculously high expectations and players being over-confident

additionally the english don't have a strong sense of style or a recognizable brand of soccer

if i was in charge i would drop the premier league to 18 teams and do some type of system where the national team could pay the clubs to rest players for certain amount of games to avoid exhaustion

having a league system in which your best players play against the world's best players week in week out will only make your players better... the problem is that the premier league season kicks the **** out of players so that they are exhausted by the time international competitions come around because they have to play tough teams week in and week out compared to other leagues that only have 5 competitive teams maximum

throw in the fact that the english have this idea that they have a god given right to win international tournaments means ridiculously high expectations and players being over-confident

additionally the english don't have a strong sense of style or a recognizable brand of soccer

if i was in charge i would drop the premier league to 18 teams and do some type of system where the national team could pay the clubs to rest players for certain amount of games to avoid exhaustion

Yes I do agree that is a factor, but doesn't totally explain the failure of England st international level. As I said the technical skill and football IQ of England players is shocking. England just aren't producing the players who know how to play international football. We've regressed badly in 20 years since Euro 96, which probably the best England team I've watched in my life time.

Actually, the draw favours England as runners-up. They will play the runner up of group F which is either one of the following; Hungary, Iceland, Portugal or Austria. If I had to pick, I would place my bets on Hungary or Iceland.

Wales on the other hand are likely to be playing; Croatia or Czech and long shots Northern Ireland or even further long shot, Albania.

Now, I would much rather be facing the runner up of group F, which is most certainly the weakest group than playing off against Croatia or Czech.

I think Hodgson didn't mind finishing 1st or 2nd and wanted to rest a few key players and rotate the squad.

So yeah, I'd still rather be England than Wales.

attachment.php

Attachments

• y4055En.png
    y4055En.png
    476.5 KB · Views: 41
They have the players that are good enough to beat Iceland, but they rarely play with heart, conviction or enterprise. They are a mentally weak team and have been for years.

Wow! I thought Japan beating the Springboks at the last RWC was the greatest sporting upset of all time, but I think it has just been eclipsed.

The premiership isn't just being found out, England have been choking for decades in football,

We are the Gloucester of football.

Wow! I thought Japan beating the Springboks at the last RWC was the greatest sporting upset of all time, but I think it has just been eclipsed.

South Africa are a recognized force in world rugby union and England soccer team are and have long been a laughing stock!!

First David Cameron, then Roy Hodgson, who's next???

England's soccer team are worse chokers than South Africa's cricket team!!

You've made few good points here.
1. Is the intensity of league is tough for sure.
2. About playing world class guys improves you is right but alot of the England squad are fringe players as the influx of foreign players is huge. It could be argued not 1 English player is best at their club.
3. The confidence thing is from media. As you say there's ridiculous expectations and this does eats in to players mind

Latest posts