• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tri Nations: All Blacks - Springboks @ Westpac Stadium (30-07-2011, 07:35 GMT)

What I did find pleasing was how the players changed positions in the midfield (Nonu to centre when SBW came on, then Carter to 2nd 5/8 and SBW to centre when Slade came on) with no apparent loss of fluidity.

Am guessing most won't agree but thought Rolland was good.

SBW was very quiet at 13.

SBW was very quiet at 13.

I thought Rolland was very good. Couldn't complain much about the calls he made. Also I agree SBW was quiet when he came on, though his offload led to Slade's try.

I thought Rolland had a very good game. Took the captains aside when it looked like both teams players were not rolling away at the tackle, and made sure they understood he was not going to tolerate it.

Rolland is one of those referees (like Craig Joubert) who lets the dominant scrum dominate. He makes the weaker scrum participate in a proper contest for the ball. Some teams (especially from the West Island) won't like that.
4.gif

My only issue with him was his pinging of the fetcher for going off his feet (McCaw once, Stegman once and Deysel once) when the first and more material offence was the tackled player not releasing the ball to the player on his feet. There were other times when he was right to do so, but in the three cases listed above, I felt the tackled player held on to the ball.

I guess the thing is, with the releasing the ball rule, is that there are 20+ incidents in a game where the tackled player does not release the ball instantly. Unless of course every player on the field is just incapable of picking the ball of the deck ;) It's one of those rules where you have to allow it to happen to some extent, otherwise there'll be turnovers constantly.

Consistent refereeing, some bad calls both ways. The high tackle was a bit harsh I thought.

Well, good game to watch. My thoughts on the All Blacks.

1. Wyatt Crockett: What. A. Beast. New Zealand's scrum totally dominated. Nice try in the corner to top it off. 8/10
2. Andrew Hore: Best game for the All Blacks in a while. Scrummaged well, threw in pretty well and he was a monster in the rucks and with the ball. 8/10
3. Ben Franks: Had a bit of a quiet game, but he did his core job pretty well, as the scrum showed. 7.5/10
4. Sam Whitelock: Did pretty well in the lineout, was busy around the breakdown. 7/10
5. Ali Williams: Looked much better than last week. He still hangs out way too much in the backline, but he at least held onto the ball and hit the line hard. 7/10
6. Jerome Kaino: Can't understand why he was taken off for Messam at blindside. Had a very solid game making a lot of tackles. 7.5/10
7. Richie McCaw: His best game this year in my opinion. Was constantly disruptive at the breakdown. My only issue is that he hits the line too much. 7/10
8. Adam Thompson: Looked pretty solid at 8 for most of the game. Still not in the same ball park as Kieran Read, but did well. 7/10
9. Jimmy Cowan: I thought he had his best game in a long time. His delivery was better than usual, and he was a typically good in defense. 8/10
10. Dan Carter: Was amazing with ball in hand. Had a shocking goal kicking game, but he cut the Springboks up on foot. 8.5/10
11. Zac Guildford: Finished oppertunities nicely, which is what he was brought in to do. Very busy around the park. Still don't like him but - 8/10
12. Ma'a Nonu: Good, but still not quite block-busting. He certainly is very heavily marked. 7/10
13. Conrad Smith: Still the best centre in the world. Broke a crap load of tackles, made his passes stick, great defense and was like a flanker in the breakdown. 8.5/10
14. Cory Jane: As I've said 100 times. He needs to be in the RWC squad. He doesn't put a foot wrong and is magic for the All Blacks. Two great tries as well. 9/10
15. Mils Muliaina: My favourite game from him in a long time. He did he is best at and set up Jane and Guildford all day. Played unselfishly and you see how well it worked. 8.5/10

16. Corey Flynn: Did pretty well when he came on. Didn't do much special, but was solid. 6.5/10
17. John Afoa: Was good while he was on the field, shame he got injured so quickly. 6.5/10
18. Jarrad Hoeata: Pretty solid when he came on. Nothing too special, but did nothing wrong. Again had too little game time to judge. 6.5/10
19. Liam Messam: Had a very quiet game when he came on. Didn't have the grunt that Kaino had. 6,000,000,000/10
20. Piri Weepu: For the first time in a few years I though he didn't look as good as Cowan when he came on. Still did pretty well, but not as good as he can play. 6.5/10
21. Colin Slade: Again, did well when he came on the field. Looked pretty good with DC outside him. I wasn't a fan of the shuffling of positions. 7/10
22. Sonny Bill Williams: Probably was the quietest of the centres this game. Did nothig wrong but nothing special really. Certainly doesn't belong at centre. 6/10

Last edited:
I just love the fact that the ABs were able to create an over lap consistently. How good was the Slade try? (off the line out). Bring on the Wallabies yo!

New Zealands new shirt has White on it! Disrespectful ********!*

Well, good game to watch. My thoughts on the All Blacks.

1. Wyatt Crockett: What. A. Beast. New Zealand's scrum totally dominated. Nice try in the corner to top it off. 8/10
2. Andrew Hore: Best game for the All Blacks in a while. Scrummaged well, threw in pretty well and he was a monster in the rucks and with the ball. 8/10
3. Ben Franks: Had a bit of a quiet game, but he did his core job pretty well, as the scrum showed. 7.5/10
4. Sam Whitelock: Did pretty well in the lineout, was busy around the breakdown. 7/10
5. Ali Williams: Looked much better than last week. He still hangs out way too much in the backline, but he at least held onto the ball and hit the line hard. 7/10
6. Jerome Kaino: Can't understand why he was taken off for Messam at blindside. Had a very solid game making a lot of tackles. 7.5/10
7. Richie McCaw: His best game this year in my opinion. Was constantly disruptive at the breakdown. My only issue is that he hits the line too much. 7/10
8. Adam Thompson: Looked pretty solid at 8 for most of the game. Still not in the same ball park as Kieran Read, but did well. 7/10
9. Jimmy Cowan: I thought he had his best game in a long time. His delivery was better than usual, and he was a typically good in defense. 8/10
10. Dan Carter: Was amazing with ball in hand. Had a shocking goal kicking game, but he cut the Springboks up on foot. 8.5/10
11. Zac Guildford: Finished oppertunities nicely, which is what he was brought in to do. Very busy around the park. Still don't like him but - 8/10
12. Ma'a Nonu: Good, but still not quite block-busting. He certainly is very heavily marked. 7/10
13. Conrad Smith: Still the best centre in the world. Broke a crap load of tackles, made his passes stick, great defense and was like a flanker in the breakdown. 8.5/10
14. Cory Jane: As I've said 100 times. He needs to be in the RWC squad. He doesn't put a foot wrong and is magic for the All Blacks. Two great tries as well. 9/10
15. Mils Muliaina: My favourite game from him in a long time. He did he is best at and set up Jane and Guildford all day. Played unselfishly and you see how well it worked. 8.5/10

16. Corey Flynn: Did pretty well when he came on. Didn't do much special, but was solid. 6.5/10
17. John Afoa: Was good while he was on the field, shame he got injured so quickly. 6.5/10
18. Jarrad Hoeata: Pretty solid when he came on. Nothing too special, but did nothing wrong. Again had too little game time to judge. 6.5/10
19. Liam Messam: Had a very quiet game when he came on. Didn't have the grunt that Kaino had. 6/10
20. Piri Weepu: For the first time in a few years I though he didn't look as good as Cowan when he came on. Still did pretty well, but not as good as he can play. 6.5/10
21. Colin Slade: Again, did well when he came on the field. Looked pretty good with DC outside him. I wasn't a fan of the shuffling of positions. 7/10
22. Sonny Bill Williams: Probably was the quietest of the centres this game. Did nothig wrong but nothing special really. Certainly doesn't belong at centre. 6/10

SBW doesn't belong at centre ... pssshhh whatever.

He started off slowly and made some errors trying to force stuff but once he settled in some of his offloads were key for further NZ points, granted at 13 he is ineffective.

Last edited:
I'd agree, in as much as he's way way better at 47th 423rd or whatever they call inside centre down south

when are they gonna realise Guilford isnt all black material... well not yet anyway.

All Blacks looked good but that was expected. Corey Jane, Andrew Hore and Dan Carter played really good.

Springboks only positive was that their new players are getting that test match experience, although it may be one they'd rather forget its experience none the less.

It was an ok game.

when are they gonna realise Guilford isnt all black material... well not yet anyway.

You're right only two tries, two linebreaks, five tackles bust, three offloads and a turnover. UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Pray tell how you reckon that? 'Cos 99% of people who saw that game think that is a stupid statement.

Just watched the game since i was working earlier.

Massive fan of Cory Jane, nice to see him do well

Sivivatu needs to go and then it will be a toss up between Israel Dagg and Zac Guildford for the last back three spot.

My prediction is this;

Mils - 15
Jane - 14
Gear - 11

Toeava
Guildford / Dagg

Depends how high Gear's work rate is when he returns, he is a good runner but can be pretty lazy, pressure is on for him to perform and if not then Guildford will quite easily take his place with his high work rate and good defence.

You're right only two tries, two linebreaks, five tackles bust, three offloads and a turnover. UNACCEPTABLE!!!

against a third string SA team... pull out the champagne lol... he never positions himself in the right areas his Defence is shotty and he crumbles under pressure... theres no way hes play world cup rugby.

Guildford had a great game, he was hardly caught out of position so i have no idea what you are on about. You probably just have a pre-conceived bias against him and wont just acknowledge when he has had a good game.

Seeing as Jane was outstanding Zac will probably get shifted to the bench for game 3. Even so, he is a good player to have coming off the bench.