• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

U20 6 nations 2016

The Ireland Under-20 team (sponsored by PwC) to face France in Narbonne on Friday night (kick-off 9.05pm local time/8.05pm Irish time) has been named. The game will be broadcast live on RTÉ Two and www.rte.ie/live (island of Ireland only).

Head coach Nigel Carolan has made several changes to the side that lost to 35-24 to Wales at Donnybrook last Friday night.

In the backs, UCD's Hugo Keenan, who started on the wing last week, moves to full-back in place of the injured Jack Power. Conor O'Brien (Clontarf), who won his first cap off the bench in the opening round, will start on the left wing and St. Mary's College and Ireland Sevens player Terry Kennedy will look to win his first Under-20 cap as a replacement.

Up front, prop Conor Kenny from Buccaneers takes the place of Sligo's Conan O'Donnell, who moves to the replacements. Cork Constitution's Dan Walsh, who will win his first U-20 cap, comes straight into the back row for the injured Will Connors.

Speaking ahead of the squad's departure for France, Carolan said: "We were disappointed with how things went against Wales. I thought that we played well overall but mistakes proved costly in the end. We've hopefully addressed the key areas and we'll be looking for an improved performance on Friday night.

"Our training sessions this week have been very positive and the players are looking forward to the game in Narbonne. If we can maximise on our opportunities, I'd be confident of a result against the French."

IRELAND UNDER-20 Team & Replacements (v France Under-20s, Under-20 RBS 6 Nations, Stade d'Honneur du Parc des Sports et de l'Amitié, Narbonne, Friday, February 12. kick-off 9.05pm local time/8.05pm Irish time):

15. Hugo Keenan (UCD/Leinster)
14. Matthew Byrne (Terenure College/Leinster)
13. Shane Daly (Cork Constitution/Munster)
12. Jimmy O'Brien (UCD/Leinster)
11. Conor O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
10. Johnny McPhillips (Queen's University/Ulster)
9. John Poland (Cork Constitution/Munster)
1. Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster)
2. Adam McBurney (Ballymena/Ulster)
3. Conor Kenny (Buccaneers/Connacht)
4. Peter Claffey (Galwegians/Connacht)
5. James Ryan (Lansdowne/Leinster) (capt)
6. Cillian Gallagher (Sligo/Connacht)
7. Dan Walsh (Cork Constitution/Munster) *
8. Max Deegan (Lansdowne/Leinster)

Replacements:

16. Shane Fenton (Young Munster/Munster)
17. James Bollard (Dublin University/Leinster)
18. Conan O'Donnell (Sligo/Connacht)
19. Sean O'Connor (Cashel/Munster)
20. Kelvin Brown (Shannon/Munster)
21. Stephen Kerins (Sligo/Connacht)
22. Brett Connon (Newcastle Falcons/Exiles)
23. Terry Kennedy (St. Mary's College/Leinster) *

* Denotes uncapped player at this level

Not Considered -

Jack Power (UCD/Leinster) - injured
Will Connors (UCD/Leinster) - injured
Jacob Stockdale (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) - involved with Ulster (PRO12)
Robert Lyttle (Queen's University/Ulster) - involved with Ulster (PRO12)

Bookies odds
Wales -13pts home to Scotland
England -35pts away to Italy
France -8pts home to Ireland

Don't know about TV. But don't England rugby website usually run a stream?

Ok that has got to be one of the most ridiculous attempts at kicking a penalty to touch I've seen. Just shy of the 10m line and he wallops it between the flag at the try line and the dead ball area :D

And stupid glory hunting with that quick take.

35 min France 1013 good game in tough competitiononditions

40min try France France 17 Ireland Irelands turn to play against a very strong wind

42 min penalty France 20 13

53min try France 27- 13 Ireland starting to tire

French forwards running riot and 50kgs lighter

Try France 34...17 looks like first blood to France for this weekend

Final score 34....13 first victory for France could be a very long weekend for the Guinness slurpers

Last edited:
35 min France 1013 good game in tough competitiononditions

40min try France France 17 Ireland Irelands turn to play against a very strong wind

42 min penalty France 20 13

53min try France 27- 13 Ireland starting to tire

French forwards running riot and 50kgs lighter

Try France 34...17 looks like first blood to France for this weekend

Final score 34....13 first victory for France could be a very long weekend for the Guinness slurpers

They didn't look it though! Ireland had big lads but they're very unfit. The French, blond, sub hooker must ave made 4 turnovers in about 25 min!

It was a good game up to half time. France too good in the second half. I think it'll be a long season for this Ireland side. One positive for us was James Ryan's performance.

One positive for us was James Ryan's performance.
I didn't see the game but this seems to be the consensus. I'd have no problem with him benching for Leinster next week ahead of Tom Denton.

Under 20s is about player development more than results. If a few professionals and a couple of regular internationals come out of the group, that's what you're looking for. That said, Ireland don't seem well coached at the basics. Jettisoning Mike Ruddock appears to be a mistake.

Ireland U20 [v Italy]:
15 Brett Connon [Newcastle Falcons],
14 Hugo Keenan (UCD / Leinster),
13 Shane Daly [Cork Con / Munster],
12 Conor O'Brien [Clontarf / Leinster],
11 Jacob Stockdale [Belfast Harlequins / Ulster],
10 Johnny McPhillips [Queens University / Ulster],
9 Stephen Kerins [Sligo / Connacht];
1 Andrew Porter [UCD / Leinster],
2 Adam McBurney [Ballymena / Ulster],
3 Conán O'Donnell [Sligo / Connacht],
4 Peter Claffey [Galwegians / Connacht],
5 James Ryan [Lansdowne / Leinster],
6 Cillian Gallagher [Sligo / Connacht],
7 Will Connors [UCD / Leinster],
8 Greg Jones [UCD / Leinster]

Replacements:
Hugo Kean [St Mary's / Leinster]*, James Bollard [Dublin University / Leinster], Ben Betts [Munster / Young Munster]*, Sean O'Connor [Cashel / Munster], Max Deegan [Lansdowne / Leinster], John Poland [Cork Con / Munster], Paul Kiernan [UCC / Munster]*, Terry Kennedy [St Mary's / Leinster]

Jacob Stockdale comes in on the wing.
Hugo Kean, Paul Kiernan and Ben Betts are in line to win their first cap.

Why Kiernan hasn't got a shot yet anyway baffles me. Some dodgy selections this year.

I have not seen him play yet so can't comment on his ability. There must be something the coaches don't like or he could have been injured.

He punched me when I was a child so **** him. (I think it was him, one of those ******* Kiernans anyway)

When did he punch you you little ****? Definitely deserved it. If I could go back in time only once I'd go back to when you were 5 and tell you Santa didn't exist.

When did he punch you you little ****? Definitely deserved it. If I could go back in time only once I'd go back to when you were 5 and tell you Santa didn't exist.
Dad is good friend's with M Kiernan's sister (I think that's the link). We were both 6 at the time iirc so he wanted to fight. Having been brought up well in a civilised area six year old me was like "nah, **** off mate I don't need nor want to fight you, maybe act your shoe size and not your age?" And off I went to the monkey bars where the little prick punched me twice in the back and ran off.

He's a coward and, quite frankly, a liability due to bad discipline. This is u20's they're all the same age he'll be punching people twice in the back left, right and centre and get sent off.

Dad is good friend's with M Kiernan's sister (I think that's the link). We were both 6 at the time iirc so he wanted to fight. Having been brought up well in a civilised area six year old me was like "nah, **** off mate I don't need nor want to fight you, maybe act your shoe size and not your age?" And off I went to the monkey bars where the little prick punched me twice in the back and ran off.

He's a coward and, quite frankly, a liability due to bad discipline. This is u20's they're all the same age he'll be punching people twice in the back left, right and centre and get sent off.

Bit of aggression wouldn't go amiss. Hope he rubs the Italian 10's face is sand and pulls the wings pigtales, right before Terry (your dad) burns them

Latest posts