• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Under 20 6N - 2018

France stuck 69 points on Scotland.

England 37 - 12 Wales

As often happens at this level, England were far too powerful for us, both up front and out wide.

Don't see why the try off the driving maul was disallowed, didn't see any obstruction at all. Main criticism is how often we threw away chances in the Welsh 22, that game should have been a complete rout.

Imperfect Ireland performance. After two games we're getting a truer picture on who has talent to make it at a higher level. The players who've most impressed me have been Tommy O'Brien, Hugh O'Sullivan and Jack O'Sullivan.

Tommy O'Brien always seems to make the right decision on the ball. He breaks well, passes well, supports well and times his offloads well. He's a keen defender but gives away a few penalties. When he refines his game, he'll be an excellent player.

Hugh O'Sullivan has a fairly complete game. Needs a little work on his passing but always puts the ball flat in front of his target allowing them attack the gainline. He'll challenge for Leinster game time next season.

Jack O'Sullivan reminds me an awful lot of Paddy Butler at u20 level. He's a strong carrier and has good workrate in defence.

Those will be the stars on this team.

Imperfect Ireland performance. After two games we're getting a truer picture on who has talent to make it at a higher level. The players who've most impressed me have been Tommy O'Brien, Hugh O'Sullivan and Jack O'Sullivan.

Tommy O'Brien always seems to make the right decision on the ball. He breaks well, passes well, supports well and times his offloads well. He's a keen defender but gives away a few penalties. When he refines his game, he'll be an excellent player.

Hugh O'Sullivan has a fairly complete game. Needs a little work on his passing but always puts the ball flat in front of his target allowing them attack the gainline. He'll challenge for Leinster game time next season.

Jack O'Sullivan reminds me an awful lot of Paddy Butler at u20 level. He's a strong carrier and has good workrate in defence.

Those will be the stars on this team.

From the 2 games so far and last season viewing, the stand out talents on the Irish team are Kelleher, Aungier, Dunne, Jack O'Sullivan, Doris, Byrne, Tommy O'Brien, Stewart. Haven't seen enough of others to judge.

Leinster fans will be glad to know that Harry Byrne is a bigger talent than his brother. It wouldn't be a surprise if Connacht or Ulster offered him a pro contract next season though I suspect he'll stay with Leinster.

From the 2 games so far and last season viewing, the stand out talents on the Irish team are Kelleher, Aungier, Dunne, Jack O'Sullivan, Doris, Byrne, Tommy O'Brien, Stewart. Haven't seen enough of others to judge.

Leinster fans will be glad to know that Harry Byrne is a bigger talent than his brother. It wouldn't be a surprise if Connacht or Ulster offered him a pro contract next season though I suspect he'll stay with Leinster.
Would make sense for Harry Byrne to look to Connacht or Ulster for game time. Another who could move to Ulster is Michael Silvester. He's scoring tries for fun in the AIL but won't push ahead of Jordan Larmour. Ulster have an opening at 15 with Charles Piutau leaving and no obvious replacement among their ranks (I'd rather leave Jacob Stockdale on the wing).

With all the negativity directed at Italy over their inability to compete in the test arena, it's great as a fan of the game to see that they appear to be getting it right with the boys coming through. After a tight loss and win to England and Ireland, I would imagine that they will bully our Welsh 20s this year.

With all the negativity directed at Italy over their inability to compete in the test arena, it's great as a fan of the game to see that they appear to be getting it right with the boys coming through. After a tight loss and win to England and Ireland, I would imagine that they will bully our Welsh 20s this year.
They are getting their structure in best shape it ever has been in. COS has really set foundations from grassroots up

They are getting their structure in best shape it ever has been in. COS has really set foundations from grassroots up

Good for him... if he started to turn things around at test level and Ireland came calling, do you think he would stay and finish the job or take the job with the IRFU?

Good for him... if he started to turn things around at test level and Ireland came calling, do you think he would stay and finish the job or take the job with the IRFU?
He will never manage Ireland. Has said it has no interest to him and IRFU would be more inclined to promote within.
Also he's very loyal. Had offers when at Quins but stayed. He loves projects like Italy from grass roots up and the freedom to develop it as he sees best

He will never manage Ireland. Has said it has no interest to him and IRFU would be more inclined to promote within.
Also he's very loyal. Had offers when at Quins but stayed. He loves projects like Italy from grass roots up and the freedom to develop it as he sees best
The Ireland head coach role may not appeal to him. David Nucifora's role probably would. It's similar to what he's doing in Italy and contains key elements of what he did with the RFU and with the EIS.

The Ireland head coach role may not appeal to him. David Nucifora's role probably would. It's similar to what he's doing in Italy and contains key elements of what he did with the RFU and with the EIS.
Maybe but I think in Italy he is happy having the overall keys like that same control doesn't exist here. And I think he likes the coaching side too. But I think he would be well able to do that rile as he has a great brain to which is needed in that role. Like an entrepreneur brain

Final result 38-34. 14 vs 15 all match long, great match by little Azzurri. Future is bright.

I never get too carried away by age grade sports but I'll have to try and check out this match as it sounds like quite an epic effort. Is Troncon still coach? If so he is continuing to stick his hand up for a promotion within the Italian rugby structure.

I never get too carried away by age grade sports but I'll have to try and check out this match as it sounds like quite an epic effort. Is Troncon still coach? If so he is continuing to stick his hand up for a promotion within the Italian rugby structure.

Sorry for the late answer, Bruce. I was trying to manage the post depression stat of mind after our defeat in Dublin.

Watch the game, if you can, you'll see something new by us. Anyway Troncon is not involved in U20 coaching anymore, he's now part of Michael Bradley's Zebre staff.

England U20s team to face Scotland

15. Jordan Olowofela, 14. Tom Seabrook, 13. Ollie Lawrence, 12. Will Butler - capt, 11. Cadan Murley, 10. Tom Hardwick, 9. Rory Brand, 1. Alex Seville, 2. Gabriel Oghre, 3. Ehren Painter, 4. Ted Hill, 5. Sam Lewis, 6. Josh Basham, 7. Aaron Hinkley, 8. Sam Moore.

Replacements:

16. Beck Cutting, 17. Toby Trinder, 18. Joe Heyes, 19. James Scott, 20. Sean Reffell, 21. Ben White, 22. James Grayson, 23. Fraser Dingwall.

Very interested in watching Ollie Lawrence... Ted Hill and Rory Brand too

Latest posts