• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

URC 2022 / 2023 Round 1

If Cardiff have any aspirarions of doing well this season they really need to kick things off with a win vs a Munster side who are missing most of their Irish internationals. There's still quality in that Irish Side, but Cardiff are pretty much full strength. No excuses!

If Cardiff have any aspirarions of doing well this season they really need to kick things off with a win vs a Munster side who are missing most of their Irish internationals.

On this note, what am I missing that the Irish teams seem to be holding back their Irish internationals in the early stages? I know Leinster are all about rotation, but we aren't seeing this from the other teams from other countries. SA teams will be weaker because of the rugby championship, but they're still going as full strength as possible.

On this note, what am I missing that the Irish teams seem to be holding back their Irish internationals in the early stages? I know Leinster are all about rotation, but we aren't seeing this from the other teams from other countries. SA teams will be weaker because of the rugby championship, but they're still going as full strength as possible.

The IRFUs player welfare programme means guys who were on the tour to NZ will be filtered back in after a longer rest.

A lot of the rotation is because of the welfare programme. Players are all ultimately employed by the IRFU so the ultimate interest is in the national team.

The IRFUs player welfare programme means guys who were on the tour to NZ will be filtered back in after a longer rest.

A lot of the rotation is because of the welfare programme. Players are all ultimately employed by the IRFU so the ultimate interest is in the national team.

Ah got it, makes a lot more sense then.

So Zebre have switched assistant coach Roselli and head coach Bergamaschi, to make Roselli head coach. That's harsh on the latter because Zebre really started showing signs of life last year after he came in as head coach. But I can sympathise with the union favouring an Italian coach (both URC sides coached by Italians the first time I believe).

I know people will say that that was Leinsters 6th string but 5 tries and a losing BP for Zebre is a very good sign that they can be for the first time a legitimate banana skin for a lot of sides. Clearly the pack would seem to need a fair bit of work but I'd assume a lot of these are younger guys who might bulk up in a few years.

I was going to post that I thought Zebre would score 3 tries in a fit of great optimism, so I'll take this.

Heard it was a lucky escape but didn't get ti watch. Wasn't too happy with the team named to be honest, I think we could have been bolder.

Fearing a Cullen/Lancaster downfall this year tbh.

So Cardiff got over the line vs Munster. Cardiff were by far the better side, but Munster defense in their own 22 was very good and disciplined and Cardiff blew a few good field positions asba result.

Faletau was immense, really been what Cardiff have been missing! Shout out too for Max Llywellyn who scored one and created another. Young player who's making a mark. They have another young big centre in Mason Grady on their books too, so some talent coming through.

For me, Turnbull stands out as a real weak link in that pack, so I'd expect Timani to take his place going forwards.

Following on from Cardiff if the Dragons put in a decent showing in Edinburgh I'll be genuinely scratching my head about who the weakest in the URC will be this year. Good to see some of the strugglers putting in a showing.

I attended the Scarlets-Ospreys match. The quality was up and down, but both halves ended in, let's just say, an interesting fashion, and I think the draw was a fair result.

Dragons have recruited really well, especially in the tight 5 where they've been historically weak + they now boastbsome depth to their squad to come off the bench and cover injuries. So hopefully they'll be much improved on last season! I'm quietly optimistic that they can get a W up in Edinburgh to kick things off... watch them ship 50 now!

So I was talking complete bolox then, other than the last few words! Dean Ryan needs to go now, they look rudderless in both attack and defense.

Yeah, I didnt know anything about the Dragons but Edinburgh still have what is arguably a top 4 or 5 squad in the competition in my opinion despite the loss of Bradbury and Moyano. They should be handily pumping any visiting team not from Ireland or SA. D'Arcy Graham the best (native) winger either side of the Irish sea along with Josh Adams? Seems the Aussie fly half Charlie Savala may be a decent prospect for Edinburgh?

The biggest news is the crowd finally seem to have settled on a three syllable chant for Eh-din-bruh (the more working/middle class pronunciation) than the the four syllable Eh-din-buh-ruh. It's only taken about 20 years but clearly they've been practising in the off season and the class war has been won by the proles. :p

Annoyed Patchell and Castello are still both at Scarlets. Both would have been well ahead of Hanrahan at the Dragons (I'd imagine he is just there to top up his pension).

I'm irritated now that the Stormers didn't any game in light of the Bulls and Lions managing to get it on. Sharks probably don't want to take us on without their returning Bokke. Hope Willemse is alright.

So Zebre have switched assistant coach Roselli and head coach Bergamaschi, to make Roselli head coach. That's harsh on the latter because Zebre really started showing signs of life last year after he came in as head coach. But I can sympathise with the union favouring an Italian coach (both URC sides coached by Italians the first time I believe).

I know people will say that that was Leinsters 6th string but 5 tries and a losing BP for Zebre is a very good sign that they can be for the first time a legitimate banana skin for a lot of sides. Clearly the pack would seem to need a fair bit of work but I'd assume a lot of these are younger guys who might bulk up in a few years.

I was going to post that I thought Zebre would score 3 tries in a fit of great optimism, so I'll take this.

@Bruce_ma gooshvili in what country were you born? Just trying to understand the context of your seemingly nomadic allegiance to rugby teams, and I mean this as a compliment.

@Bruce_ma gooshvili in what country were you born? Just trying to understand the context of your seemingly nomadic allegiance to rugby teams, and I mean this as a compliment.
I was born and raised in Scotland, but have an Italian granny. I've not felt able to support Scotland since my teens when I formed the opinion that the union proactively and wilfully misrepresent their territory with pretty much every policy (that they are now tapping NRL players with Scots grandparents is the latest example I've become aware of (see new Edinburgh flyhalf Savala)).

So my sympathies have mainly been with Italy but they started to make noises about maximising selection of players developed in other territories, then I find out many of the players who represented Italy in the 00s (that I was cheering on) probably did so illegally as they were less Italian than me. So my shift to Georgia I made last year (a bit tongue in cheek) doesnt look like ending soon.

But I will always support a Scottish developed or Italian developed player in their individual effort and I'll always have sympathy for Zebre, Benetton and Edinburgh as I consider nationality a less critical issue at club level.

Italy seem to be voluntary pursuing that path of internal development and struggling to attract players from other territories so my enthusiasm for them, win or lose, may be restored if their international side starts becoming overwhelmingly filled with players developed in Italy. So nomadic is probably my future as well as my present!

Basically my rules for allegiance in any given game is to favour, in order of priority:

i) team not involved in TRC or 6N (i.e. Tier2 or 3)
ii) team with most domestic developed players
iii) team with smallest population (or budget at club level, so Zebre over Benetton)
iv) team with a domestic developed coach
v) team whose union I feel is someway competent

I fully respect anyone that supports a team on another basis and has no issue with unions maximising opportunities to capture players using the available rules. It's just not the way I'm wired.

Difficult to form an opinion based on highlights, but Zebre did ok? Or was it Leinster having a slow day?I still see them as the top team to beat, no care what happened last year.

As a Glasgow fan I'm not thrilled. I expected a win @ Benetton in a close game. But this one wasn't even close. Better luck next time. 🏉 We Are Warriors!

Difficult to form an opinion based on highlights, but Zebre did ok? Or was it Leinster having a slow day?I still see them as the top team to beat, no care what happened last year.
Highlights only here toobut yeah, Leinster got the BP early on and probably took their foot off the gas. It's a game that is a good example of why I prefer the SH bonus point rules as you can actually tell what level of effort each team is putting in for pretty much the full 80mins.

Zebre will be doing okay, they appeared to be showing the form that saw them win in Edinburgh last year. Zebre should be looking at a 30-50% chance of beating any side from the bottom half of the league at home (if they have no injuries). I'd like to see 3 or 4 wins from them this year.

Highlights only here toobut yeah, Leinster got the BP early on and probably took their foot off the gas. It's a game that is a good example of why I prefer the SH bonus point rules as you can actually tell what level of effort each team is putting in for pretty much the full 80mins.

Zebre will be doing okay, they appeared to be showing the form that saw them win in Edinburgh last year. Zebre should be looking at a 30-50% chance of beating any side from the bottom half of the league at home (if they have no injuries). I'd like to see 3 or 4 wins from them this year.
They managed as many as seven wins in the 2017-18 season.

Latest posts