scarlets.png
Scarlets
8:35 PM
Dragons
dragons2022.png
v
sharks.png
Sharks

Ulster - Leinster and Stormers - Edinburgh are tough to call but I'll go all home wins bar I believe the Sharks *should* get one over the Dragons. Will depend on if they get their test players available or even a portion of them and then if they click in time. Dragons will have had two games and the Sharks will be kinda their first game and that away- definitely good timing for the Dragons to make it a clean sweep for home teams.

Doubt the Sharks will use their test players. Not really needed anyway the current players should be more than enough to get a 5 pointer vs the dragons. It will all depend if they can keep up the 80 minute performance. Even on paper the current group without the test players is better than what most can field in this competition.

Another excellent week of fixtures. Youd think routine wins for Bulls (if Aki is suspended?) and Munster, but who knows?

Doubt the Sharks will use their test players. Not really needed anyway the current players should be more than enough to get a 5 pointer vs the dragons. It will all depend if they can keep up the 80 minute performance. Even on paper the current group without the test players is better than what most can field in this competition.
I'd be wary of the Dragons but agree the Sharks ought to be able to get over the line even without their test player who I'd also think won't be roped in on short notice seeing as you have a full touring party.

That said I think teams like the Sharks, Stormers, Munster and Edinburgh and the top Welsh sides can't afford to drop "should win" games as the log spots 4 through 10 are likely to be very close to each other.

Another excellent week of fixtures. Youd think routine wins for Bulls (if Aki is suspended?) and Munster, but who knows?
I expect the Bulls to win. Think they got lucky with Edinburgh and the Stormers will be under the pump but in with a good shout given context but the Bulls should get past Connaght I'd also imagine.

Ulster - Leinster is looking tasty!

I think Glasgow will beat the Ospreys.
glasgow2019.png
We Are Warriors!

Lions team:

15 Andries Coetzee, 14 Edwill van der Merwe, 13 Henco van Wyk, 12 Marius Louw, 11 Quan Horn, 10 Gianni Lombard, 9 Sanele Nohamba, 8 Francke Horn, 7 Emmanuel Tshituka, 6 Sibusiso Sangweni, 5 Reinhard Nothnagel (captain), 4 Pieter Jansen van Vuren, 3 Ruan Dreyer, 2 PJ Botha, 1 Sti Sithole

Substitutes: 16 Jaco Visagie, 17 JP Smith, 18 Ruan Smith, 19 Ruan Venter, 20 Ruhan Straeuli, 21 Morne van dern Berg, 22 Jordan Hendrikse, 23 Zander du Plessis

There was a clear lack of defensive tactics and lack of trust in the defensive system by the Sharks players, this is concerning as I dont think we can fix it in a week. I think we will concede many, but our attack is on point at the moment and the breakdown would be up there with the best in the competition. We really look after the ball well at the moment and did build some phases at stages. A loss against the Dragons would be a huge setback for the goals of this team.

Lions team:

15 Andries Coetzee, 14 Edwill van der Merwe, 13 Henco van Wyk, 12 Marius Louw, 11 Quan Horn, 10 Gianni Lombard, 9 Sanele Nohamba, 8 Francke Horn, 7 Emmanuel Tshituka, 6 Sibusiso Sangweni, 5 Reinhard Nothnagel (captain), 4 Pieter Jansen van Vuren, 3 Ruan Dreyer, 2 PJ Botha, 1 Sti Sithole

Substitutes: 16 Jaco Visagie, 17 JP Smith, 18 Ruan Smith, 19 Ruan Venter, 20 Ruhan Straeuli, 21 Morne van dern Berg, 22 Jordan Hendrikse, 23 Zander du Plessis
I am really impressed by Zander du Plessis. Think the Lions are on to something by picking him up from the griquas. He is showing young F Steyn x Riaan Viljoen vibes.

Really difficult games to call all round. Which is a good thing for the league. Ulster v Leinster is a cracker

I am really impressed by Zander du Plessis. Think the Lions are on to something by picking him up from the griquas. He is showing young F Steyn x Riaan Viljoen vibes.
Replaced this week by another youngster in Henco Van Wyk. Lions have some quality coming through.

Forecast for tomorrow is to be very wet and windy in Belfast although maybe easing off somewhat come match time. Bit disappointing as I'm heading up to it and would have loved to see a shootout on a dry pitch.

This is the second match I'll be taking my son to. His first was the Ulster Leinster match last year where it lashed it down the whole night and the game was dreadful - I'm going to stop bringing him!

Strong Bulls team

Bulls – 15 Kurt-Lee Arendse, 14 Canan Moodie, 13 Cornal Hendricks, 12 David Kriel, 11 Sbu Nkosi, 10 Johan Goosen, 9 Zak Burger, 8 Elrigh Louw, 7 Marco van Staden, 6 Marcell Coetzee, 5 Ruan Nortje, 4 Walt Steenkamp, 3 Francois Klopper, 2 Johan Grobbelaar, 1 Gerhard Steenekamp.
Subs: 16 Jan-Hendrik Wessels, 17 Simphiwe Matanzima, 18 Mornay Smith, 19 Janko Swanepoel, 20 Reinhardt Ludwig, 21 Embrose Papier, 22 Chris Smith, 23 Lionel Mapoe

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Jimmy O'Brien (54)
14. Jordan Larmour (75)
13. Garry Ringrose (103) CAPTAIN
12. Robbie Henshaw (69)
11. Dave Kearney (175)
10. Ross Byrne (130)
9. Luke McGrath (177)
1. Andrew Porter (92)
2. Dan Sheehan (30)
3. Michael Ala'alatoa (27)
4. Ross Molony (141)
5. Jason Jenkins (2)
6. Ryan Baird (39)
7. Josh van der Flier (115)
8. Jack Conan (117)

16. Rónan Kelleher (38)
17. Ed Byrne (87)
18. Vakhtang Abdaladze (18)
19. James Ryan (58)
20. Will Connors (27)
21. Nick McCarthy (47)
22. Johnny Sexton (184)
23. Charlie Ngatai (2)

Ulster

Michael Lowry, Aaron Sexton, Luke Marshall, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, John Cooney; Andy Warwick, Rob Herring, Tom O'Toole, Alan O'Connor (Captain), Kieran Treadwell, Matty Rea, Marcus Rea, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: John Andrew, Eric O'Sullivan, Marty Moore, Sam Carter, Greg Jones, David Shanahan, Angus Curtis, Ben Moxham.

Happy with the starting XV but if we don't get a lead after 60 mins we won't win - our bench isn't strong enough.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record I'm sure that Balacoune, Stewart, Doak, Moore and McCann will get much more out of playing in a scratch side against the Griquas than facing up against a full strength Leinster side. Waste of time.

Strong Bulls team

Bulls – 15 Kurt-Lee Arendse, 14 Canan Moodie, 13 Cornal Hendricks, 12 David Kriel, 11 Sbu Nkosi, 10 Johan Goosen, 9 Zak Burger, 8 Elrigh Louw, 7 Marco van Staden, 6 Marcell Coetzee, 5 Ruan Nortje, 4 Walt Steenkamp, 3 Francois Klopper, 2 Johan Grobbelaar, 1 Gerhard Steenekamp.
Subs: 16 Jan-Hendrik Wessels, 17 Simphiwe Matanzima, 18 Mornay Smith, 19 Janko Swanepoel, 20 Reinhardt Ludwig, 21 Embrose Papier, 22 Chris Smith, 23 Lionel Mapoe
Sjo, that is quite a strong line-up. I have them down for a BP win vs Connaght. Excited to see Johan Goosen back at 10 even if I'm a Stormers supporter.

Sharks team:
15 Aphelele Fassi, 14 Werner Kok, 13 Rohan Janse van Rensburg, 12 Ben Tapuai, 11 Thaakir Abrahams, 10 Boeta Chamberlain, 9 Grant Williams, 8 Phepsi Buthelezi, 7 Dylan Richardson, 6 James Venter, 5 Reniel Hugo, 4 Justin Basson, 3 Thomas du Toit (captain), 2 Kerron van Vurren, 1 Ntuthuko Mchunu
Substitutes: 16 Dan Jooste, 17 Dian Bleuler, 18 Carlu Sadie, 19 Hyron Andrews, 20 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 21 Cameron Wright, 22 Marnus Potgieter 23 Anthony Volmink

Expected the Sharks to stick with their touring party and not flying in any Bokke so no surprises there.

Stormers side still TBA. Might get some returnees there- will need them vs Edinburgh TBH.

Sjo, that is quite a strong line-up. I have them down for a BP win vs Connaght. Excited to see Johan Goosen back at 10 even if I'm a Stormers supporter.

Sharks team:
15 Aphelele Fassi, 14 Werner Kok, 13 Rohan Janse van Rensburg, 12 Ben Tapuai, 11 Thaakir Abrahams, 10 Boeta Chamberlain, 9 Grant Williams, 8 Phepsi Buthelezi, 7 Dylan Richardson, 6 James Venter, 5 Reniel Hugo, 4 Justin Basson, 3 Thomas du Toit (captain), 2 Kerron van Vurren, 1 Ntuthuko Mchunu
Substitutes: 16 Dan Jooste, 17 Dian Bleuler, 18 Carlu Sadie, 19 Hyron Andrews, 20 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 21 Cameron Wright, 22 Marnus Potgieter 23 Anthony Volmink

Expected the Sharks to stick with their touring party and not flying in any Bokke so no surprises there.

Stormers side still TBA. Might get some returnees there- will need them vs Edinburgh TBH.
Yes going by the Bulls game, Edinburgh will be a handful for your boys. You both play some great rugby.

Sticking with Roos in my fantasy team though. Animal

Yes going by the Bulls game, Edinburgh will be a handful for your boys. You both play some great rugby.

Sticking with Roos in my fantasy team though. Animal
Apart from the other SA sides Ulster and Edinburgh have become in a short amount of time (probably because we had them in the QF and SF last year) the teams I'd most like us to beat.

Stormers team:

15 Clayton Blommetjies, 14 Suleiman Hartzenberg, 13 Dan du Plessis, 12 Damian Willemse, 11 Angelo Davids, 10 Manie Libbok, 9 Paul de Wet, 8 Evan Roos, 7 Hacjivah Dayimani, 6 Deon Fourie, 5 Marvin Orie (captain), 4 Salmaan Moerat, 3 Neethling Fouche, 2 Joseph Dweba, 1 Ali Vermaak

Substitutes: 16 Andre-Hugo Venter, 17 Brok Harris, 18 Sazi Sandi, 19 Adre Smith, 20 Ernst van Rhyn, 21 Junior Pokomela, 22 Herschel Jantjies, 23 Sacha Mngomezulu

Resting Kitshoff and Malherbe but that is fair enough. Happy with the side. I'm even slowly but surely warming up to Blommetjies but would still prefer Gelant back. Zas and Nel apparently still unavailable- I'd assume they'd come in if 100% fit.

I think the bench is on par with the run on side. Crazy a player like Xaba isn't in the matchday 23 especially given a 6-2 split. No Ntubeni either. Its a good sign if you can have a great side and leave good players out at the same time. Feels odd not having bled a ton of players from year to year but in a good way LOL. My only worry is if the line-out will go well.

I've been really happy so far with Blommetjies. I was quietly optimistic about him slotting into our systems well and Dobson being able to pull some magic again of "player not doing well in other franchise being able to perform in ours". So far so good. Happy to see Willemse slot back in (both for the Stormers and also the implication that he will be good to go for EoYT).

Overall happy with the side and also positive in knowing who we are still resting/is recovering. Let's see how it goes.

Latest posts