• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

URC 2022/23 - Round 6

How close to full-strength was that Stormers side?
About halfway full strength. Key players missing are Damian Willemse, Deon Fourie, Evan Roos and Ruan Nel in that order. Those are instrumental players for us. Also missing Herschel Jantjies, Seabelo Senatla as first choice players. I suppose Dweba is a Bok hooker but IMO he is behind Ntubeni and Venter both who are unavailable. I also don't know why we kept Masimla at 9.But I for one don't put this loss down to the line up although it is a factor we can't expect a full side each game which makes it a nonfactor in practical terms.
That's quite a disappointing one to take. Think there is the possibility we get to the end of the season rueing dropped points and this Welsh tour is going to stand out. I expected this to be the tougher game of the two, but throughout I felt we were going to come back/a better team. What I think these past two weeks are though is a lesson in the conditions which hopefully is something we learn from in the future. Rucks were a free for all and the Stormers never adjusted to properly disrupt, nor were we doing enough to protect our ball. When the rain started coming down in the second half, that was probably when we lost it, we weren't nearly as dangerous then, and our mauls were getting disrupted by an awkward wrap around folding onto the back of the maul. Also potentially need to keep the scoreboard ticking, but most of the penalties which we got were on the edges rather than guaranteed points.

Silver linings is we maintained decent try defense (apart from cross kicks) and at least got a try bonus point, which is coming through pretty consistently, and this time in a way that was different to our previous ones (forwards dominated vs ball skills). Really the reason we lost was our terrible control and retention at the breakdown and something we need to work on.

We could do with the international break coming one week early to be honest. Now we head to a rested Lions side away who don't have many players that may be pulled back for Springbok resting. I expect another loss, and am getting flashbacks to the start of last season again.
Think Stormers fans in general need to adjust expectations and realize that we overachieved last year and we are a 6th place side. The Lions game is looming large and the timing is terrible for us.

Still felt like we let that game go through a combination of factors half of which were within our control. Think you covered it pretty well but what I was most disappointed with is the fact that there was little urgency and coherence ITO player interaction and support. For the most part we were simply out-enthused.

Last edited:
Exciting half in the Dragons match. I feared the worst when Ospreys scored after 30 odd seconds. Game on for the second half. I need to get the purple shirt !.

That was some game at Rodney Parade!
oh brilliant. Had so many ups and downs. Dragons have been called by a few for such a long time now. But today proves we have got some great, skilful players. Do you know what, the entertainment was 10/10 ?. That is what we want to see. Gosh, I don't need drugs, I support Dragons !. Rio Dyer is ace !. Sorry for being giddy everyone.

I questioned Dyer's inclusion in the Welsh squad above Giles and Conbeer, but he was superb today.

After today I think Bradley Roberts should be a no brainer ahead of Elias, his basics are very good and he always produces big moments + keeps going.

Aaron Wainwright reminded us all of his quality today as well, his pace can cause real issues for defences.

Dragons haven't quite had the results their performances deserve, but they're playing some great stuff now, and today showed that their attack is developing too.

Latest posts