• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

USA vs All Blacks - 01/11

ah, I see Mr Negativity has returned!

Ok.... This Match was AMAZING... USA lost by 70 points... but 70 points of PURE awesomeness..

People in USA will flock to RUGBY after seeing their team play against the most awesomeness team EVAR..

They will love rugby forever and ever because they LOVE seeing their Eagles play.

There was no sound, so when they performed the haka I squeezed my haka bear (which plays a recording of the haka) and managed to match the sound up with the action on the pitch. I'm such a rugby nerd. :)

please tell me everybody in the bar looked at you like :huh: :mellow:
And I get that feeling you're describing, finally watching a game in public. I'm like that too, everything I watch is by myself most of the time, all the times I'd watch in public places in Qatar, place was filled with British expats always rooting for the team I wasn't heh...
anyways yeh, will check out the highlights, just...

I agree with @kovana. What he's saying is an extension of what I've been saying. Don't think this helps at all, and although it doesn't make a huge difference anyhow (either positive or negative) it may even lower the interest of the Americans. It's not being negative to say that, it's a very real, probable possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why... coz he made a routine tackle on a winger that any Golden oldies winger could have pulled off?

Im struggling how a 70 point loss at home can be spun into a positive. Most americans are saying this game is now putting more americans OFF rugby.

Well done USA... Well done.

Overall this match was downright boring.

Really? I haven't heard anything like that.

Most rugby fans in the US are fans of non-US teams due to the fact that, with premium cable, we've been watching international rugby far more than domestic rugby over the past 15 years, give or take a year or two. Pretty sure there were more ABs fans in the crowd than USA fans. Hey, at this point rugby fans are just thrilled to see such a spectacular match on home soil. In fact, with a sold-out stadium (cap. 61,500), this game - according to reports - nearly tripled the previous attendance record for a state-side match. That is HUGE!

If the US can develop local talent (with about the third largest population in the world we should have a huge pool to pull from), I can see rugby gaining more interest than hockey, perhaps even [soccer] football. Americans - on average - tend to be good fans (at least in the stadiums) and most frown upon the hooliganism of [soccer] football fans, which may be why the sport has never been hugely popular here. But rugby? All the physical impact (and then some) of NFL football, with the continuous action of [soccer] football - best of both worlds.

And I think the announcers (from what I've heard since coming home) made it clear that the ABs were the top team, and that America stood little chance of putting a dent in their game. No one is shocked by the outcome, and most rugby fans are just about peeing themselves over seeing the ABs playing here in the US, that's how excited they were with this event.

das

Don't think this will have a negative impact on USA rugby. USA did play some good rugby but the All Blacks class really showed in defence and attack. Again why are NZ the best? When any side makes a mistake, they always tend to capitalise, and today they did just that.

I'm not sure how any can really claim to know how this will affect popularity in the short or long term.

Let's just hope that any future broadcasts from the USA have better camerawork!

I'm not sure how any can really claim to know how this will affect popularity in the short or long term.

Yeah we don't even know what TV ratings are yet which is fairly important, it's entirely possible that this won't have any tangible effect negative or positive as well.

I guess it shows with the right opponent big crowds will turn up in the States which can't be a negative and the coin they made at the gate should be useful.

This was a BAD performance.. Stop sugarcoating it. 70 point loss at home. Not a positive at all. Twitter feeds from america are all bout how they dont wanna see this eagles team again.

And about the stadium being more ABs supporters than Eagles... surely THAT is a negative. Surprised someone raised that comment.

Lets wait for the TV ratings...

Overall the game was as I expected. USA played some good rugby in the 1st 15 minutes, but their defensive systems need work (if they are ever going to compete against the top sides). They seemed to be employing a (narrow) rush defense, but it wasn't rushing up fast enough. The AB's did have to do some good passing to get the ball wide, but they invariable got the ball wide, and there was a huge amount of space out there.

I thought USA showed some good ball handling skills on attack, though got a bit lateral at times. Indeed they were at their best when attacking a bit closer to the breakdown (as the AB's were spreading out a bit quickly at times). USA showed some good skills in the air two, winning a number of their own kick-offs (which will be of concern for the AB's coaching staff). They may need to do some work on their scrummaging though....

I find it hard to really assess the AB's players on their performances, but I will give it a go:
- Faumuina was prominent, but his handling let him down at times.
- It was disappointing to see Harris leave injured - he was looking solid - but Mealamu impressed when he got on.
- All of the starting loose-forwards looked good IMO. Read was his usual self, Vito had some good runs and impressed at the breakdown, while Cane was everywhere. Every test I see Cane play these days I can't help be impressed. He brings a real physicality to the 7 jersey, but what really impressed me this match was his ability to sum up the situation with ball in hand and get the ball out quickly when there was space out wide.
- Perenara I thought was very good, though he wasn't under a lot of pressure. I wasn't impressed with Pulu - I felt he tried to do far too much himself - but to be fair he was on debut.
- Cruden's goal-kicking was poor, but his passing was very crisp. The game didn't flow as well after Carter came on, but I don't think he was entirely to blame for this. It was great to see him running with ball in hand again!
- The midfield function pretty well overall. SBW played better than I thought we would given the limited amount of Rugby Union he has played recently, while Ryan Crotty just made the right decision every time (and was pretty dangerous in his own right!).
- Piutau had a couple of good runs, though may need to ask Jane for some chip kicking advice. Jane looked sharp before he went off injured, while Dagg looked pretty dangerous from the back too.

please tell me everybody in the bar looked at you like :huh: :mellow:

Yeah...they sorta did. :blush:

I agree with @kovana. What he's saying is an extension of what I've been saying. Don't think this helps at all, and although it doesn't make a huge difference anyhow (either positive or negative) it may even lower the interest of the Americans. It's not being negative to say that, it's a very real, probable possibility.

I respectfully disagree. Here's why -

1. First and foremost, America doesn't have many international rivalries. We adore places like NZ and Australia and are a bit enamored by them. I would say that getting beaten by Canada or Russia - maybe France - would be more painful for the average American than this butt-whoopin' from New Zealand.

2. As I said before, most Americans have been more exposed to international rugby than domestic rugby - we realize this is not a United States game. Right now there seems to be a curiosity and maybe even a fascination about this (NFL) football-like game that's played without helmets or padding. If that curiosity was enough to get people watching the match today then it may have made some new rugby fans, too. Afterall, I'M an American, and a huge rugby fan, but I didn't care if the USofA won or lost, I just wanted to see a good match on a tv in a public house!

3. Americans, just like the ABs, like to win. This is true. But many Americans are loyal fans of crappy, never-able-to-win, local teams, so most likely there will be many Americans who will support the US Eagles, regardless of how good or how crappy they play. Right now it's up to the US Eagles, and American rugby, to sell this sport on a domestic level. Get America loving their rugby team and they will support them, no matter what.

All that aside, it really boils down to sponsorship, and whether or not USA rugby can get the commercial backing it needs to be competitive in the US sports market. That's really what will make or break the game here, regardless of how big or small the fanbase is.

das

I doubt this loss would lower interest. Hopefully the game and all the promotion leading up to it has led to more exposure for rugby in the USA. Who knows what overall benefit this will have. Regardless if you want to grow a code you have to do it from the bottom up at the grass roots.

This was a BAD performance.. Stop sugarcoating it. 70 point loss at home. Not a positive at all. Twitter feeds from america are all bout how they dont wanna see this eagles team again.

And about the stadium being more ABs supporters than Eagles... surely THAT is a negative. Surprised someone raised that comment.

Lets wait for the TV ratings...

No, not a negative at all. You just don't get it - the US has NOT been showing domestic rugby on tv, it's only started doing so since - I think since it was announced that rugby 7's would be added to the Olympics (and mostly just 7's matches, at that - not XVs). For most Americans their only exposure to rugby has been to INTERNATIONAL rugby via premium sports channels...if they get such channels. Therefore many - if not most - Americans who like rugby are fans of other countries' teams because we've never had a real chance to get to know our own team. Look at me - I've been an All Blacks fan for 14+ years because that was the first team I was exposed to. Give Americans time to get to know our own team (most Americans didn't even know we actually had a national rugby team!) and see if they don't start cheering them on and supporting them.

See, for the average American, they just met the US Eagles. Think of it this way - it's like going on a blind date. You meet, and maybe things don't go so well that first time. But you give it a chance, get to know each other's strengths and weaknesses and in time you start to warm to each other, and - in some cases - end up falling in love. You can't expect Americans to fall in love with a team (and sport) they just met - give them time to court one another, and hopefully love for the team and the sport will blossom.

Remember, too, that a 74-6 loss isn't the end of the world. In 2013 Argentina suffered a record-breaking 73-13 defeat at the hands of South Africa, only to manage their first RC win just a year later. I realize that the Eagles aren't in the same class yet as even Argentina, but now they've had a taste of what it's like to play the best team in the world, and hopefully they will learn - and grow - from this.

das

maybe watching an all black v south africa game in chicago would have showcased rugby better with usa v canada as curtain raiser, a comparison is when the brazilian soccer team came to nz and thrashed us , wasnt expecting miricales from that game but still a buzz to have them in the country showing off their skills.

Ok.... This Match was AMAZING... USA lost by 70 points... but 70 points of PURE awesomeness..

People in USA will flock to RUGBY after seeing their team play against the most awesomeness team EVAR..

They will love rugby forever and ever because they LOVE seeing their Eagles play.

Said with all the sincerely we have come to know and love from you

God you're such a tosser!!

I

I'll watch it later with commentary. I see that someone said American commentary sucks, and I agree. Makes Justin Marshall seem like a silver-tongued genius, no? ;)

das

Yeah I did, but it really was for an American audience and not for rugby fans outside the US. They ****** me off by saying about needing downward pressure, when scoring a try, when you don't. Then one kept harping on about a forward pass by Kieran Read in the lead up to the 2nd or 3rd try, when it wasn't, as you could clearly see his hands pointing straight when he made the pass. Yes, ABs did some blatant forward passes after that, which they were pinged. Otherwise, glad that UK commentary wasn't that bad; it made me appreciate even how good Stuart Barnes is.;o).

RIGHT?! It was truly, truly awful. They just seemed to have no idea how to cover a rugby match..

Nice to see Savea's 1.0 try ratio return..

Last edited:
I guess America just found out that it's not so easy to beat NZ when you don't control the rules and can't cheat (America's Cup 2013). :)

I just joined this forum because it seems to be the busiest rugby forum on the net. I have just been watching rugby on/off for about a year now.

The USA Eagles sucks, but I don't think this huge loss will be as detrimental to US rugby as some folks think. NBC did a poor job commentating, the cameraman was not good, the match was at the same time as a HUGE yearly SEC football game (FL-GA), and the fact that we couldn't even score a try was bad. However, seeing the ABs play, the way they pass so smoothly, the way their defense is always on point, how technical and disciplined they are on defense, the way they tackle was really good to see and actually very inspiring. It's also very nice to see the heart of the americans even though we were down 50. If there is one thing I know about the US is that we are driven. We used to get our asses kicked in MMA all the time and now we have most belts, we used to be the laughing stock in soccer and now we field a respectable team with MLS teams being worth on average over $100 mil. If there is money to be made, we'll eventually be competitive in rugby.

Bottom line, in order to get better, RU XVs need to be a High School and NCAA varsity sport. The US also needs a pro league for XVs and a pro tour for VIIs (akin to IRB international tours, but just teams in a league going around american cities). I think there's potential for an 8-10 team RU XVs league running from Mar - Aug. We also need more matches against top level competition at year end, maybe not the ABs again, but some of the upper tiers like England, Argentina, France, South Africa etc. One or two of those per October/November in a big US city would be very welcome. We also need more black players on the team as well, there was none. What's up with that? We have some samoans, but no black people in a sport such as rugby. That is a little weird to me. In Rugby VIIs, Isles is not that good, but is a difference maker, and so is Baker. Also, NBC did a piece and one of the players that started and was supposed to be one of the stars for the US is a freaking HS math teacher forfekssake. How are you supposed to compete against professionals when you field amateurs?

Just as a bit of context NZ Maori beat Japan 61 - 21.

Overall I don't think this will have a massively detrimental effect on the game i think the lack of regular games against Tier 1 opposition & lack of domestic TV coverage outside of these one off games will. I think commentators having to explain the basic rules of the game says ti all - having said that i thought they were actually ok in a hard job, how do you get excited and whip new viewers up when you're on a 74 - 6 spanking.

If America really want to grow the games they need to get that regular TV coverage going of competitive matches.