• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales 2 - 1 Australia

khaotix

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
That was the real score of the test series. Rugby is politics out in Australia and so many dubious decisions went their way. In both the 2nd test and the 3rd. I find it sad that a team like Australia has to hide behind referees that are clearly one sided toward the southern hemisphere teams. This test series was a complete farce and a disgrace to international rugby as a whole. I for one look forward to seeing Australia play next in Wales where they won't have the pleasure of hiding behind a referee to win matches. See you in the land of the DRAGONS next! 8) and enjoy your wins because Wales are becoming so strong you won't even be able to hide behind a referee soon! 8) CYMRU AM BYTH.

Last edited:
OK mate, I am gutted beyond belief, but this won't help us.
We lost, controversially, but still.

We need to recognize our failings in tactics and selection and ensure we aren't as short-sighted again.
This tour was too much for players after a World Cup year, and they truly need a rest. Warburton, Jenkins, Jones, amongst others, were unfit.

We have good players breaking into the side, and our U20's is something to be proud of, so the future is bright.

i totally agree. I would have preferred see us take a development team somewhere like Canada or Japan maybe. It was a tough tour after so much rugby has been played but the point is the two matches were won controversially, the third test so many 50/50 decisions went their way it was unbelievable. The 2nd test: We have advantage its over before we can get the ball out of the ruck, Australia gets advantage and make a decent amount of ground and then, 3 phases later, they call them back for a penalty? It was a joke and was blatant one-sided refereeing in both tests.

Like I said, I for one look forward to seeing the great Aussies on Welsh turf because they didn't deserve that 3-0 whitewash and everybody knows it.

And yes we have an amazing future to look forward to in Welsh Rugby, I remember being a kid in the stands when we lost to Canada in Cardiff, to think how far we have come since then and what we have achieved and what we are going to achieve is just awesome. I just hate seeing the southern hemisphere sides win in such a pathetic manner, especially with the IRB licking their bums like they do with the stupid residency rules.

Last edited:
Referee's didn't help, but ultimately we lost each and ever test this summer on our own. I was a little pi**ed off during and straight after the match, and maybe we still deserved to win today's test, but it was our own errors that allowed the ref to have a bearing on the result, because ultimately we should have won comfortably.

Wales errors:

First test: picking players who were not match fit (Warburton, Charteris, Jon Davies and Scott Williams in particular). Sending a team out to Aus to prepare backfired, because we still weren't up to standard, and blew an opportunity to give those players short of match fitness gametime against the BaaBaa's. We just allowed Aus to play their game by not sending in enough players to the breakdown. A match we could have won after coming back to within a point, but Aus were the deserved winners.

Second test
: Poor decision by Howley to stick with Warburton, Phillips and Priestland. Phillips and Priestland's kicking game completely handed Aus the game. Despite this, we should have won, but for a series of silly penalties at the end.

Third test: Further poor selections by Howley, especially for not bringing Ian Evans into the match day squad. Phillips and Priestland were improvements on their previous two games, but still stifled Wales' attacking game. Basic and costly errors by Alun Wyn Jones at the restart ultimately cost us the game. Another game we should have won.

Realistically we could and possibly should have won this series by winning the final two tests, and that's despite not playing anywhere close to our best. Just about every aspect of our play was below where we have been in the WC and 6 nations. Discipline was shocking, as was the unforced error count. Out tactic game was nowhere near the level requires. We barely saw our dangerous backs with ball in hand, and we ultimately cost ourselves two wins by not staying composed in the final 5-10mins of the games.

I was fuming at the ref today, and was severely unhappy last week, and I think we've got a right to be a bit miffed, but the blame cannot be put solely on their shoulders. We were far more to blame, it was just difficult to take because all the decisions in the final 10min today seemed to go against us.

i totally agree. I would have preferred see us take a development team somewhere like Canada or Japan maybe.

Despite the long season, this was a great tour for the lads. A development tour against Canada or Japan would have got us nowhere. We were genuinely competitive on this tour, and the players should learn a hell of a lot from it. It's all a building process, and if we can take lessons from this and improve then we'll be all the better for it. I saw a win or two as vital beforehand, and it's a massive disappointment that it didn't come, but it just goes to show that there's work to be done. The squad is continuing to grow in strength with the likes of Beck, Ken Owens and Tipuric growing into the squad. The breakthrough will come at some stage against the big three, I think this group of players is too good not to, it's just taking a little longer than expected.

Last edited:
Whereas I wholeheartedly agree with many of the comments in your post, and I am not saying that our own errors were a BIG contributing factor, ultimately we were robbed of the games by the officials.

The first test was just not the Wales we are used to seeing, our defense is a big part of our game and was a big failing for us there.

The second test we let Australia play 20+ phases and when we see the ball we kick it, totally useless but a massive defensive display form us, that said we would have won if the referee had been fair at the end.

The third test we were stronger but the errors in the 1st half lost it for us, although the amount of 50/50 decisions that did not go our way was laughable. This is why I say Wales will be the better team the next time we meet.

And yes we made some terrible decisions with the selection, personally i would have switched the halfbacks after the 1st test but thats just me, I think Webb and Hook would have been a much better option myself. Ryan Jones deserved and still deserves a start in the welsh team. I would keep him at 2nd row, there is no way we should be picking Bradley Davies over him. And if I am being honest I was worried about Ashley Beck but the has shown this tour that he can play at that level so happy days.

A great side stays in the game when they play badly, we played badly, we stayed in the games, we were robbed at the end of the day. Bring it on the southern hemisphere in the autumn, we know you are more worried than we are 8)

Last edited:
That was the real score of the test series. Rugby is politics out in Australia and so many dubious decisions went their way. In both the 2nd test and the 3rd. I find it sad that a team like Australia has to hide behind referees that are clearly one sided toward the southern hemisphere teams. This test series was a complete farce and a disgrace to international rugby as a whole. I for one look forward to seeing Australia play next in Wales where they won't have the pleasure of hiding behind a referee to win matches. See you in the land of the DRAGONS next! 8) and enjoy your wins because Wales are becoming so strong you won't even be able to hide behind a referee soon! 8) CYMRU AM BYTH.

Oh dear. I a so sorry to say but as most the Wales supporters seem to think they were just not good enough for various reasons over the last three games. A Wales team on form would have been winning these games by between 5-10 points. I think you are showing little respect to Australia who if you check won in Wales against a similiar team not so long ago. You can't blame the referee every time a game goes against Wales and sorry to say but history will show that you lost 3-0 not 2-1.

Oh dear. I a so sorry to say but as most the Wales supporters seem to think they were just not good enough for various reasons over the last three games. A Wales team on form would have been winning these games by between 5-10 points. I think you are showing little respect to Australia who if you check won in Wales against a similiar team not so long ago. You can't blame the referee every time a game goes against Wales and sorry to say but history will show that you lost 3-0 not 2-1.

True, but a Wallaby side, on form, has beaten the All Blacks and Springboks, away from home, so is a whole different kettle of fish.

True, but a Wallaby side, on form, has beaten the All Blacks and Springboks, away from home, so is a whole different kettle of fish.

Could you seem them beating the All Blacks and Boks away at the moment?. Even on form I am not sure they would.

Forget shoddy reffing... even though Wales were in with a shout in all three games, we definitely were not the better side.

We need to take the losses on the chin and learn to be better, good enough that questionable 50/50 decisions won't effect the outcome.

Ryan Jones deserved and still deserves a start in the welsh team. I would keep him at 2nd row, there is no way we should be picking Bradley Davies over him.

That shows us how much you know. You'd pick Ryan Jones in the second row ahead of three of Alun Wyn Jones, Ian Evans, Luke Charteris and Bradley Davies?!?! Ryan Jones has been in superb form, but he's a blindside these days. Did ok at 8 in the last two tests, but would have been more effective at 6, but Lydiate is in possession of that shirt.

Yup.
A full strength on form Wallabies side trumps the same for Wales (and England, Ireland, France, Scotland, Italy) IMO.

Not sure I made my point properly. An on form Wales side should have been winning these test matches by 5-10 points given the current Australian squad over the three tests. I don't think they would beat a full Australian squad that is playing well. I could not see this test series Australian team beating the All Blacks and Boks away from home.

Khoatix:

Deary me you really think the refs erred on the Aussies side? I watched all 3 tests and believe me Wales were pinged for ooh probably only 30 per cent of the offside and ruck infringements that were deserved. The refs typically err on the side of us northern hemisphere sides because that's the easiest way for the IRB to bridge some of the gulf between NH and SH sides. So in short, you should be grateful for the favourable ref decisions, just try not to become too accustomed (as england have been over the years) to them or it wil lead to the sour grapes on display here.

I'm sure there are another few threads where you can spout your rubbish. Go have your 5min of fun......

The record of the Wales national rugby team when facing the Wallabies in an 8 month period:

0-5

B4rI

The referee missed so many tackles for Wales, let in so many easy tries, did so many crap kicks. Personally I think if they got a better ref it would have been 4-0 to Wales.

The referee missed so many tackles for Wales, let in so many easy tries, did so many crap kicks. Personally I think if they got a better ref it would have been 4-0 to Wales.
This?

(OK, so I am strictly neutral here. I didn't really care who won). The above comments are a load of ********.

From what I could see, Wales lost through their own ill discipline in the closing stages of the last two tests. Certainly, the match winning penalty kick in the second test was the fault of only one player... the welsh number 16. Firstly, he gives away a stupid penalty on 79 minutes kicking at the ball when he's on the ground. This gives away 50m of field position and a throw in to Australia. Then from the resulting line-out a maul was formed, which he pulled down on top of himself. It was so obvious, it defied belief that any player could be stupid enough to do that in a kickable position with less than a 3 point lead.

EDIT: If you don't believe me, here is a reverse angle view (you probably won't have seen this in the broadcast). Watch Wales 16 on the left pulling the maul down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts