• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales post-WC discussion

j'nuh

First XV
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Gloucester
Maybe I'm being extremely cynical... anyone else think Priestland's "sabbatical" is to allow Faletau to leave Wales and still get picked?

Gatland's words on previously not sanctioning the Faletau move:
"Given that Wales has such a small playing base with just four teams, we definitely want to keep our players in Wales," Gatland explained on Sky Sports News HQ.

"I have dispensation to pick a couple of players playing outside of Wales. For this year it is two and if Toby Faletau goes to Bath then he will be regarded as a non-qualified Welsh player and I can only pick two of those players.

"At the moment, Jamie Roberts is gone to Harlequins and Rhys Priestland is gone to Bath. If Faletau goes to Bath as well that will be three and I can only pick two of those after the World Cup.

"So I'd be limiting myself and why would I want to do that? Unless something changes, hopefully he will be staying in Wales."
(http://www.skysports.com/rugby-unio...-wales-number-eight-toby-faletau-joining-bath)

It just seems so very convenient timing that Priestland announces his sabbatical around the same time that Dragons have put in a transfer request for Faletau. Also convenient that Priestland has announced an 18 month sabbatical - long enough to take him to the end of his contract with Bath presumably. He moves back to Wales at the end and picks up his Wales career again.

(All just a little speculation.)

It is suspicious, but also seems likely that this 18 month break was agreed when he signed with Bath. Signing a ten to back up/compete with Ford who'd be away on international duty at the same time made little sense!

Technically would Owen Williams fall outside "Gatlands Law" watching him play today after being out 8 or so months he is a brilliant 10 with nerves of steel.

Also pretty handy @ 12.

It is suspicious, but also seems likely that this 18 month break was agreed when he signed with Bath. Signing a ten to back up/compete with Ford who'd be away on international duty at the same time made little sense!
Yeah considering one of major issues last season was 10 whilst Ford was away. Devoto proved he wasn't up to it and we struggled in some pretty key games.

To be honest, even if Priestland hadn't announced this sabbatical and Faletau had still moved, it's fairly obvious who Gatland would have left out of the squad out of Faletau, Roberts and Priestland. I mean, I know he has been a Priestland fan in the past, but there are many more back-up options to Biggar these days.

Technically would Owen Williams fall outside "Gatlands Law" watching him play today after being out 8 or so months he is a brilliant 10 with nerves of steel.

Also pretty handy @ 12.

He's an incredibly talented players, should get a look in for Wales but I doubt he will unless he goes back.

Question for Wales fans - Gareth Davies or Rhys Webb?

To be honest, even if Priestland hadn't announced this sabbatical and Faletau had still moved, it's fairly obvious who Gatland would have left out of the squad out of Faletau, Roberts and Priestland. I mean, I know he has been a Priestland fan in the past, but there are many more back-up options to Biggar these days.
I'm not sure how it works, but Priestland and Roberts were already used in the WC this season, so maybe that locks them in as the two exceptions to Gatland's Law, and so Priestland would have to declare himself out for Gatland to be able to use Faletau?

Or maybe Priestland making himself unavailable for Wales was part of his Bath contract, as has already been mentioned. If it is, Gatland didn't know about this, because he was saying earlier that Roberts and Priestland were going to be his two exceptions.

Or maybe it's just choice. Priestland hasn't been great for Wales this last 4 years and he's already said he's felt low at points after playing for Wales. Maybe he wants to escape the pressure for a while but not entirely close off his international career. Fair play to him if so.

Also pretty handy @ 12.
I think anyone who was already outside of Wales (North, Hibbard, Owen Williams, Moriarty, Halfpenny etc.) when Gatland's Law came in is allowed to stay at their clubs and re-new contracts and so on and still get picked for Wales, but they are not allowed to take up a new club outside of Wales unless they are one of Gatland's exceptions, which allowed Roberts to move to Wasps as one of the exceptions. I think the long-term plan is that as the number of "already outside of Wales" players dwindles over the years, the number of exceptions to Gatland's Law will go up (already going up to 3 next year), giving Gatland full control over the players he allows to leave Wales.

Question for Wales fans - Gareth Davies or Rhys Webb?

Webb for me. Much smarter and game aware than Gareth at the moment.

Both obviously proven try scorers and there's no question over that. But there were a few decisions that GD made, particularly in the Aus game, that showed his immaturity at international level. I think he rushed a lot of plays and didn't play with the necessary vision.

GD also has a massive temper at the moment, where as Webb is plucky, but can control his temper and is very grounded.

Don't get me wrong, both are great options to have and it's nice to have a bit of depth at 9.

Latest posts