• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales Squad 6 Nations '10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Jan 17 2010, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMachine @ Jan 17 2010, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Jan 17 2010, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Roberts - Hook[/b]
Thats better... Roberts - Hook should work a lot better than Hook - Roberts
[/b][/quote]
Yeh, sorry. Wasn't really paying much attention to which way round I'd put them.

Not sure if Kristian Phillips would be a great idea. He's got a big future, but needs more gametime with the O's first (will that happen with Bowe, Williams and Walker all there?). Same thing with Prydie.

I'd include: Shane, Tom James, Halfpenny and Brew as the 4 wingers. Halfpenny's not in great form, but he's got experience and that boot. James hasn't seen much ball, but has still looked dangerous when he has. Brew is in form, and I've always liked him. Was playing well for the Dragon's when he was there on loan, then went back to the 'spreys and didn't get a look in, back in form now though.
[/b][/quote]
I still question Hooks finishing pace and Gatland may look for a faster man in second centre so he may consider playing one of those wingers you just named... maybe Brew because he is pretty big and strong and solid defensively (just an idea dont be too critical)...

Hook's got a decent turn of speed, certainly as quick as most centres. Just trying to think of any centre with pace to burn. O'Driscoll certainly doesn't have the pace of old, neither does D'Arcy. Giteau, DeVillers, Fourie etc. etc. also don't have the pace of wingers. Pace is a great asset, but there's no need to chuck an inexperienced player into a position he's never played before at international level.

You probably realised that anyway, and it's an idea I've seen suggested before. Usually it's Tom James' name that comes up, as he usually does well coming in field for the Blues. He's still a little raw at wing though, never mind centre.

Jamie Robinson was probably the quickest centre Wales have had in recent years. Pitty he suffered so many injuries in his early career, cos I remember being so excited when he burst on the scenes as a younster for Cardiff, he had serious pace back then!

Wales Starting XV announced

1- Sam Hobbs
2- Warren Gatland
3- Cai Griffish
4- Andy Powell
5- Andy Powell
6- Andy Powell
7- Andy Powell
8- Andy Powell ©

9- Gareth Cooper
10- Rhys Preistland
11- Eifron Lewis-Roberts
12- Jonny Wilkinson (The suprise includant)
13- John Yapp (I think we solved the 'Pacey Centre' problem!)
14- Johnny Vaughtan
15- There isn't going to be one.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Jan 18 2010, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wales Starting XV announced

1- Sam Hobbs
2- Warren Gatland
3- Cai Griffish
4- Andy Powell
5- Andy Powell
6- Andy Powell
7- Andy Powell
8- Andy Powell ©

9- Gareth Cooper
10- Rhys Preistland
11- Eifron Lewis-Roberts
12- Jonny Wilkinson (The suprise includant)
13- John Yapp (I think we solved the 'Pacey Centre' problem!)
14- Johnny Vaughtan
15- There isn't going to be one.[/b]
Andy Powell is in at centre as well (both of them)

Phillips and Peel both ruled out through injuries!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...lsh/8463499.stm

Wales' 35-man Six Nations squad:

Backs: Gareth Cooper, Leigh Halfpenny, Tom James, Richard Rees, Jamie Roberts, Tom Shanklin (all Cardiff Blues) Dan Biggar, Andrew Bishop, Lee Byrne, James Hook, Kristian Phillips, Tom Prydie, Shane Williams (all Ospreys), Jonathan Davies, Stephen Jones, Martin Roberts (all Llanelli Scarlets)

Forwards: Bradley Davies, Gethin Jenkins, Deiniol Jones, Andy Powell, Sam Warburton, Gareth Williams, Martyn Williams (all Cardiff Blues), Huw Bennett, Ian Gough, Paul James, Adam Jones, Alun Wyn Jones, Ryan Jones, Jonathan Thomas (all Ospreys), Matthew Rees, (Llanelli Scarlets), Luke Charteris, Dan Lydiate (both Dragons, Eifion Lewis-Roberts (Sale Sharks), Rhys Gill (Saracens)

*Bold - Denotes uncapped players

Happy with that squad, couldn't really have done a lot wrong with it to be honest, the team selections will be more intresting as in who will start at 9 at Nickers in a couple of weeks

Reasonably happy with that squad. Nice to see Gatland move away from his small squad that he's preferred up till now. It worked at the beggining, but now's the time to bring some youngsters and fringe players into the squad.

It is however kinda odd to see Prydie get a call up in front of Tovey at the Dragons. Prydie is still at school, and only started once for the Ospreys, whearas Tovey has proven he;s a quality player for the last two seasons.

The other odd thing is Bennett getting the nod over Hibbard! What is it with gatland and Bennett? I personally think Bennett is pretty rubbish and way down the pecking order at the moment. Hibbard offers way more around the field, whilst his linout throwing has been better this season aswell.

Would have preferred to see Gustafson in the squad over Paul James, but that's a minor issue.

Edit: Also missed the fact Ken Owens isn't there!!!! So Bennett over Owens aswell.... That's f***ing criminal.

Squad looks good, but news coming through is that Mike Phillips could be available from game 3 onwards so he may well be drafted in.

Would liked to have seen Gufstafson selected, but Gills has impressed but Paul James is weak so disappointed he has been selected. I wonder when Tovey will get selected, the lad has enough experience at such a young age. Its only a matter of time before he gets selected.

I really don't see why Phillips and Prydie are there, why not just ask them to turn up to training and not announce them in the squad. That would be better. Is this thinking of the world cup? I can't see either player getting in the Ospreys set up for awhile. Wouldn't it be better to see Prydie now that Byrnes in the squad?
I Don't see why these too when Tovey, Aled Brew etc could of been called up.

Nice to see Richie Rees and Gareth Williams there.

Gatlands 22

1. Jenkins
2. Rees
3. Jones

4. AWJ
5. Charteris

6. Powell
7. Williams
8. Jones

9. Cooper :/
10. Jones

12. Roberts
13. Shanklin

11. Shane
14. Halfpenny
15. Byrne

16. James
17. Bennet
18. Thomas
19. Warburton
20. Roberts
21. J.Davies
22. T.James

My 22.

1. Jenks
2. Rees
3. Jones

4. Gough
5. AWJ

6. Warburton
7. Williams
8. Jones

9. Rees
10. Jones

12. Bishop
13. Roberts

11. T.James
14. Shane
15. Byrne

16. Williams
17. Roberts
18. Gough
19. A.Powell
20. Roberts
21. Biggar
22. Halfpenny

TRUE FACT ALERT: Aled Brew has scored more tries for the Dragons than Tom Pyrdie has had minutes on the pitch for the Ospreys this season. Gatland, care to explain?

Aled Brew is rubbish and will never cut it at international level. Gatland is looking for the next generation of world class player early. Good on him.

He was poor when he played for Ospreys and Blues, but has been in fantastic form for the Dragons. Same with Richard Fussell. He's only 22 or 23, why leave him out when he's been playing better than Phillips/Prydie? (Well, about the same, but at a higher level.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Jan 22 2010, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
He was poor when he played for Ospreys and Blues, but has been in fantastic form for the Dragons. Same with Richard Fussell. He's only 22 or 23, why leave him out when he's been playing better than Phillips/Prydie? (Well, about the same, but at a higher level.)[/b]

Tbf, Brew barely played for the Blues. I remember seeing him about once I think? It's a bit daft that they signed him if they werent ever gonna play him (especially with Halfpenny and James there).
Anyway my 23 for the game vs England:

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Matthew Rees
3. Adam Jones
4. Alun-Wyn Jones
5. Ian Gough/Luke Charteris
6. Jonathan Thomas
7. Martyn Williams
8. Ryan Jones

9. Richie Rees
10. Stephen Jones

11. Shane Williams
12. James Hook/Jamie Roberts
13. Jamie Robets/James Hook
14. Leigh Halfpenny/Tom James
15. Lee Byrne

16. Gareth Williams
17. Eifion Lewis-Roberts
18. Rhys Gill/Paul James
19. Luke Charteris/Bradley Davies
20. Andy Powell (who's actually been playing well)
21. Martin Roberts
22. Dan Biggar
23. Tom Shanklin/Andrew Bishop

Ah just looked over the squad and I still can't believe Ken Owens is not there and same goes for Delve!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ Jan 22 2010, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Jan 22 2010, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He was poor when he played for Ospreys and Blues, but has been in fantastic form for the Dragons. Same with Richard Fussell. He's only 22 or 23, why leave him out when he's been playing better than Phillips/Prydie? (Well, about the same, but at a higher level.)[/b]

Tbf, Brew barely played for the Blues. I remember seeing him about once I think? It's a bit daft that they signed him if they werent ever gonna play him (especially with Halfpenny and James there).
Anyway my 23 for the game vs England:

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Matthew Rees
3. Adam Jones
4. Alun-Wyn Jones
5. Ian Gough/Luke Charteris
6. Jonathan Thomas
7. Martyn Williams
8. Ryan Jones

9. Richie Rees
10. Stephen Jones

11. Shane Williams
12. James Hook/Jamie Roberts
13. Jamie Robets/James Hook
14. Leigh Halfpenny/Tom James
15. Lee Byrne

16. Gareth Williams
17. Eifion Lewis-Roberts
18. Rhys Gill/Paul James
19. Luke Charteris/Bradley Davies
20. Andy Powell (who's actually been playing well)
21. Martin Roberts
22. Dan Biggar
23. Tom Shanklin/Andrew Bishop
[/b][/quote]
I'd pick the exact same team, but for Warburton in for JT (Possibly Powell. He looked great at 6 today.), and I'd have The Fridge on the bench, as he can cover both and would work as an impact sub. Paul James is playing better, but Lewis-Roberts being a more destructive scrummager, if slightly unfit, I'd bring him on off the bench to smash England a bit before the end. It's a 22-man compeition, not a 23-man one, by the way.

Oh, Cooper should be on the bench for the big games, unless one of the n00bs makes a mistake and they have to bring on an expereinced man, even if they are out of form, to fix it. I would pick Biggar to start if we had peel, but since we don't, Rees and Jones is the way forward.

Some good performances this weekend.

The 6 shirt is suddenly very open again. I thought Powell was superb today against Harlequins, very powerful taking the ball forward, but also showed those quick feet we know he has. His dicipline has also improved also. Warberton hasn't featured in the last few games for the Blues (is he injured), so doubt we'll see him start v England. It's between JT and Powell. I'd personally start JT, but Gatland likes Powell.

The centres have been a talking point all along, but all of a sudden we have four all performing well. Hook and Bishop combined well for the O's, and I thought Bishop was outstanding in defense. Then there's Roberts, who suddenly had a smile back on his face, and played very well. Then Jonathan Davies was also good v Brive.

I'd start the following:

01 Gethin Jenkins
02 Mathew Rees
03 Adam Jones
04 Alun-Wyn Jones
05 Ian Gough
06 Jonathan Thomas
07 Martyn Williams
08 Ryan Jones

09 Richie Rees
10 Stephen Jones
11 Shane Williams
12 Jamie Roberts
13 James Hook
14 Tom James
15 Lee Burne

16 Gareth Williams
17 Eifion-Lewis Roberts
18 Sam Warberton
19 Andy Powell
20 Martin Roberts
21 Dan Biggar
22 Andrew Bishop

No need for second row cover on the bench with JT able to move up. Warberton there to cover openside, and Powell to provide impact. James Hook will be full-back cover, therefore we need fly-half and centre cover on the bench. Cooper doesn't deserve to be there, wheather he has experience or not.

01- G jenkins
02- M Rees/G Williams
03- A Jones
04- A-W Jones
05- L Charteris
06- A Powell
07- M Williams
08- R Jones ©

09- R Rees
10- S Jones/D Biggar
11- S Williams
12- J Hook
13- A Bishop
14- T James
15- L Byrne

16- M Rees/G Williams (Whichever isn't starting)
17- E Lewis-Roberts
18- S Warburton
19- J Thomas
20- G Cooper
21- J Roberts
22- L Halfpenny

Clarifications:

Hooker- As chances are Matthew Rees won't be fully match fit for the England game. Gareth Williams is certainly playing better than Hibbard, who didn't even make the Ospreys team (Bench included) last week, and they haven't said anything about injuries.

Lock- Gough should start against England and France, but Charteris for the others, as Gough will offer greater scrumaging power, but Charteris will give us a better chance of nicknig their lineouts, which would help against a team like Ireland who have a solid throw-in system.

Blindside- If Warburton had some gametime, I'd pick him. However, I'm going for Powell as he seems to be in good form, (or at least was against the Quins yesterday) and JT hasn't been playing at 6, which makes it slightly unfair. Warburton could easily start at 7 as well.

Fly-Half- Ireland, France and England, Jones should start, Italy and Scotland, Biggar starts. If England wasn't the first game, I'd have him start that one as well. However, if Biggar does play well against Scotland, start him against Ireland or France aswell.

Outside Centre- Could easily be Davies or Roberts, but I've gone for Bishop simply because defensivly, he's the best back in Wales. Top of the tackle counts against the Tigers on Saturday. The rest of the backline has been picked as offensive, so we need somebody to balance it out.

Right Wing- James will score more tries, even if Halfpenny will kick those penalties from 900 metres. Normally I'm not a huge fan of Tom James, but he's not too dissimualr to Aled Brew in playnig style, and I really do feel we ned somebody like him on the team.

The Bench- See my previous post for why I'm going for Fridgey over Paul James. Warburton can play at Lock (As can Ryan Jones) and look at the impact he had against Austrailia- He said that he thinks all subs have to give the same level of commitment and energy, but over 10 or 20 minutes, not 80. He's the sort of man we want there. JT and Cooper are on the bench as well, incase we want an old head to run out. Cooper isn't playing well, but Martin Roberts is a liability. Roberts covers centre and the wings, meaning Hook can move about to Fly-Half/Fullback. (Biggar has never looked good as a sub, to me. Has to start to perform.) Halfpenny can come on if the games' tight and we need a couple of 900-yard kicks.

I think we all know that Cooper will start 9 sadly.

Andy Powell is playing very well at the moment. Since i slagged him off after the AI, he has impressed me, against Quins he was immense. I'd still rather him as impact tho!

Latest posts