• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales V Canada

G

gjohn85

WALES V CANADA</span>

Wales will be hoping to kick off the World Cup with a bang. Will we be able to win the game comfortably? will Canada prove a tough test? Will Henson change that stupid haircut?

The Welsh team is a strong one with the exception of our captain Alfie. This is interesting selection with Jenkins but, but Jenkins must be confident of beating Canada comfortably.

Canada will be up for an upset, but will they're team be ready for the Welsh. They have always qualified for the World cup since it began but only made it to the knockout stages once in 1991.

Teams;
Wales:
Forwards: G Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), M Rees (Llanelli Scarlets), A Jones (Ospreys), I Gough (Ospreys), AW Jones (Ospreys), J Thomas (Ospreys), M Williams (Cardiff Blues), A Popham (Llanelli Scarlets).
Backs: K Morgan (Newport Gwent Dragons); M Jones (Llanelli Scarlets), T Shanklin (Cardiff Blues), S Parker (Ospreys), S Williams (Ospreys); J Hook (Ospreys), D Peel (Llanelli Scarlets, capt);

Replacements: T Rhys Thomas (Cardiff Blues), D Jones (Ospreys), M Owen (Newport Gwent Dragons), C Charvis (Newport Gwent Dragons), M Phillips (Ospreys), S Jones (Llanelli Scarlets), G Thomas (Cardiff Blues).

<span style="color:#990000">Canada:
Announced Friday

Will Gavin Henson change his stupid haircut? Yes, I hear he`s now favouring the Shane Williams peroxide-mohican-mullet style of 2005. I wonder, was it maybe Percy`s influence during his stint with the Gwent Dragons that made so many Welshmen suddenly adopt gayish hairstyles?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing this game. Obviously Wales are heavily favoured, and rightly so. Especially glad to see Hook and Peel starting as the halfback pairing- they`ve definately got some real talent there. But the Canucks are a side on the rise, as their pretty creditable display against the AB`s showed earlier this year. Hoping that they`ll put up a good showing.

Don't know much about Canada, but watched them against the ABs during the summer and they are tough MFers. Deserve respect. Are Wales being a bit relaxed, considering they could be out after their second match? Or are they right to rest a few players in preparation for Aus? Risky. I'd say they should go all guns blazing for this match.

The Canadians have been throwing around their fighting talk in the papers in the past few days.
Thankfully wales have simply responded by saying, "We'll do our fighting on the pitch." But wtih no Brent Cockbain and Robert Sidoli the pressure rests firmly on JT's shoudlers!

I see Wales winning this in the end, but Canada will put up a good fight.
I just hope we show our class - for if this leads to our surprise defeat then we might as well go home straight after.

Oh, one other thing:

Sonny Parker?! Oh, FFS!
I hope Parker rue's the day he ever came out of international retirement! Bullshit, utter bullshit. Not only are we going into the game with 2 outside centres, but neither of them are natural kickers...come to think about it, Hook is the only natural kicker there!

I'm surprised that Sweeney didn't get the nod at inside centre. He's good good hands & he is another kicker.

I think if Wales are slow out of the blocks, then they will have to battle it out for the first 50-60 mins then will ease it.

I'm with you on this GJohn, altho i consistantly mock Mr. Sweeeeeeeeeny i would choose him a hundred times over fecking Parker for 2 BIG AS F**K reasons:

1) He's a natural kicker and a good 'un at that.
2) If he's not a fly half, he's an inside centre. End of the day, he's not an outside centre who's gonna play exactly the same game as Shanks.

The best thing for Wales may well be a poor close match. If Canada scare them, and give them a kick up the backside then it may get them to do the hard work neccessary to be able to play their natural game.

I honestly think that we're nowhere near the level it takes to beat Wales. I'm crossing my fingers for a victory as would be expected, and I hope our boys give the dragons hell, but I really don't think we'll beat Wales.

Very much so. People said the Argies could beat France, but just wouldn't have the class in the end.

Quite a different story come full time.

I take nothing away from Canada. I have faith that Wales will come through and show a level of professioanlism and some clinical play to win this match. but Canada put up a very good fight against New Zealand a few months back - they have my respect and i certainly won't be relaxed coming into this match.

Wales should be able to get a win from this match. Canada are pretty sharp and physical but don't quite have what it takes to take on a team like Wales and win. I do, however, reserve the right to be surprised!

I think we will have too much for Canada, but i can see something similar happening to England USA....

The form we are in at the moment i expect us to have a tough old game and only pull away in the last 20 - although if the Cannucks have a level of fitness compared to the USA we could have an 80 minute scrap...

I hope we can put a few on the board early though and hit 50 someway in the 2nd....doubt it however...

And yes Sonny Parker??? I'd have risked picking Henson...

I think we will have too much for Canada, but i can see something similar happening to England USA....

The form we are in at the moment i expect us to have a tough old game and only pull away in the last 20 - although if the Cannucks have a level of fitness compared to the USA we could have an 80 minute scrap...

I hope we can put a few on the board early though and hit 50 someway in the 2nd....doubt it however...

And yes Sonny Parker??? I'd have risked picking Henson... [/b]

Canada are a much better outfit than the United States team is and have a far more professional players, and a higer fitness level. Canada also have a much better defensive structure than that of the US. If you saw in the USA/Eng game there were holes all over the field and England left over 20 points on the pitch by not retaining possession, poor handling and horrid execution. The Canadian side is far different than the one who Wales beat 61-26 last November. Only 6 starters that day will be in the starting line up this time around. Canada also held NZ to about 18 points in one half (50 something overall) earlier this year. However, I believe Wales will execute on offence much better than England did and thus they will win by 20+ points.

I really hope Canada puts up a good fight against the welsh. I hope we have some hard defense like we did in the first half of the NZ game, but i know during the second half that we'll get more tired, and the communication on defense will breakdown.

PS: We've got some experience in our starting front row.

Predictions (If Canada does well):

End of First half score: 15-7

Full Time: 32-16

EDIT: Noticed that we didn't have the canada 22 posted:

NAME

1. Snow, Rod

22. Smith, Ryan

dissapointing that mensah-cokers missing, real talent tht guy is!!

anyways, i think wales will have a little bit too much attacking penache for the canadians, and should win by 30 plus points.

Well good for me I actually went and read the paper. Mensah-Coker is suffering from a hamstring injury and has thus not been selected for this game. Shame really considering he's twice the size of his opposite number.

Rod Snow FTW!!! (he's 37!)
aug06_bts3_lg.jpg

Just over half an hour before kick off - let's get our professional heads on.
No more warm ups, no more excuses. Our side has class, we have amazing players in some positions. If the forwards work their arses off, get to every ruck, provide support and generally create a solid platform for the backs to work off, the show ponies will do all the necessary work from there.
We won't put 60 points on them like last time, but we should get a double-digit difference.
And if we're gonna compete with the ozzies for the top spot we need to come away from this with 4 tries to our name. It can and should be done.

No f***ing around now boys - it's world cup time.