• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales vs BaaBaas

Stories emerging is that Bevington will likely start at 1.

Paul James at tighthead then? Not my decision, but Bevington seems to be a pretty good player in the loose, so it could be worth it against the Barbarians.
The only positions I have some doubt over are Second Row and Hooker. If Bennett is in the squad, I might as well not watch.
Just over an hour to go!

Id think so, no way Gatland would throw in Bevington and Andrews in together so I presume it will be Bevington at 1 and James at 3 with Yapp covering on the bench.

Id think so, no way Gatland would throw in Bevington and Andrews in together so I presume it will be Bevington at 1 and James at 3 with Yapp covering on the bench.

Well, Scott Andrews isn't the toughest scrummager so James at tighthead will still probably be better.
Yapp can cover both sides (well, debatable...) but is better than what most people give him credit for.
Really looking forward to seeing our back row.

Wales: Morgan Stoddart; George North, Jonathan Davies, Gavin Henson, Aled Brew; Stephen Jones, Mike Phillips; Ryan Bevington, Huw Bennett, Paul James, Ryan Jones, Luke Charteris, Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton (Captain), Toby Faletau.

Replacements: Lloyd Burns, Scott Andrews, Alun Wyn Jones, Josh Turnbull, Tavis Knoyle, Rhys Priestland, Scott Williams.

Wales Team: 15) Morgan Stoddart, 14) George North, 13) Jonathan Davies, 12) Gavin Henson, 11) Aled Brew, 10) Stephen Jones, 9) Mike Phillips, 8) Toby Faletau, 7) Sam Warburton, 6) Dan Lydiate, 5) Luke Charteris, 4) Ryan Jones, 3) Paul James, 2) Huw Bennett, 1) Ryan Bevington Replacements: Lloyd BURNS (NEWPORT GWENT DRAGONS)Scott ANDREWS (CARDIFF BLUES)Alun Wyn JONES (OSPREYS)Josh TURNBULL (SCARLETS) Tavis KNOYLE (SCARLETS)Rhys PRIESTLAND (SCARLETS)Scott WILLIAMS (SCARLETS)

Cymro had me by seconds! Damn...

Mate I knew the squad since 4:30pm but was not allowed to post it any earlier, Western Fail slower than the man in the West :lol:

Hah! WRU media accreditation?
Can't believe you didn't anonymously submit it to TRF... ;)

Hah! WRU media accreditation?
Can't believe you didn't anonymously submit it to TRF... ;)

Sadly yes :p

Back on topic ...

Interesting to find Bennett is preferred to Hibbard wonder if Hibbard is safe for a place in the WC Squad. Surprised that Andrews is on the bench infront of Yapp. Bar from that squad names itself.

So not included:

John Yapp
Richard Hibbard
Lou Reed

Last edited:
Sadly yes :p

Back on topic ...

Interesting to find Bennett is preferred to Hibbard wonder if Hibbard is safe for a place in the WC Squad. Surprised that Andrews is on the bench infront of Yapp. Bar from that squad names itself.

Bennett. Oh god, the memories of Fiji come flooding back.
Perhaps the single worst Welsh Player over ten caps of the decade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Priestland's going to see 2minutes at best of this match

Don't get the point of starting Stephen Jones, we know what he can do - bring him on to close out the game if needs be.

Looking forward to seeing Henson play though

Bennett. Oh god, the memories of Fiji come flooding back.
Perhaps the single worst Welsh Player over ten caps of the decade.

hal_luscombe_getty203.jpg

No, this guy was even worse:eek:

and out of interest who decides that this is capped game, does the WRU just say right this match counts as a cap, or do the IRB and so on have to approve it?

I would of started Priestland at full back in that team, he's improved a lot this season, don't see Stoddart as a long term option at full back tbh

Last edited:
WRU approves what they give out and not the IRB.

On the note of Hal Luscombe he was not that bad. Matthew Watkins / Craig Morgan were worse in my opinion.

Luscombe had decent defence IIRC.
Bennett's are never straight. He cost us against Fiji, more than any other (although many were to blame).

If only Ken Owens was fit earlier in the season. I'd even pick T. Rhys Thomas over Bennett.

MJW wasn't great (but had some decent moments), while I will always remember Craig for what he did to the American Second Row in 2005.
Bennett is still the worst.

Last edited:
WRU approves what they give out and not the IRB.

On the note of Hal Luscombe he was not that bad. Matthew Watkins / Craig Morgan were worse in my opinion.

Craig Morgan, gosh he was awful:eek: I also remember he got dropped to the Bristol reserves, then I don't know what happened to him

Put Craig Morgan and Hal Luscombe on the wings together and you've got some awful pairing, Luscombe was never a rugby player he was far too flimsy

so if a third or fourth choice Wales side were playing the Southern Kings on tour they could give out Stephen Jones' 100th cap?

also is Tom James injured? I don't want him in the squad, I just want confirmation that he's been dropped

Bennett had a mare against Fiji, but Wales aren't exactly full of riches at hooker!

Last edited:
Riches at hooker ... think we have a few.

Mathew Rees - Lions Hooker
Richard Hibbard
Lloyd Burns
Ken Owens
T Rhys Thomas
Steve Jones

Tom James was injured at the end of the season, not sure if he is fit yet.
I'd rather see Owens or TRT ahead of Bennett, perhaps even Mefin or Steve Jones! :p

Hardly, I dunno what games you have been watching this year but Hibbard has looked good, Burns end of season form has meant he has earned a shot at the red jersey. T Rhys Thomas was on form and was unlucky not to get a look in during the 6 Nations. Steve Jones and Mefin Davies are better players than Bennett currently.

In other news:

Nacewa and Williams could tackle Wales in Cardiff

Last edited:
Hardly, I dunno what games you have been watching this year but Hibbard has looked good, Burns end of season form has meant he has earned a shot at the red jersey. T Rhys Thomas was on form and was unlucky not to get a look in during the 6 Nations. Steve Jones and Mefin Davies are better players than Bennett currently.

In other news:

Nacewa and Williams could tackle Wales in Cardiff

That would be great. See how Isa fairs with international rugby. I'd say t'would be no bother to him.

Barbarians team to play Wales - Millennium Stadium - 4 June, 2011 - Kick-off: 2.30pm

15 Isa Nacewa (Leinster and Fiji)

14 Paul Sackey (Toulon and England)
13 Seru Rabeni (La Rochelle and Fiji)
12 Mathieu Bastareaud (Stade Francais Paris and France)
11 Doug Howlett (Munster and New Zealand)

10 Brock James (Clermont Auvergne)
9 Sebastien Tillous-Borde (Castres Olympique and France)

1 Iestyn Thomas (Scarlets and Wales)
2 Sebastien Bruno (Toulon and France)
3 Carl Hayman (Toulon and New Zealand)
4 Iosefa Tekori (Castres Olympique and Samoa)
5 Paul ***o (Cardiff Blues)
6 Joe van Niekerk (Toulon and South Africa)
7 Martyn Williams (Cardiff Blues and Wales)
8 Sergio Parisse (captain, Stade Francais Paris and Italy)

REPLACEMENTS

16 Leonardo Ghiraldini (Benetton Treviso and Italy)
17 Davit Kubriashvili (Toulon and Georgia)
18 Erik Lund (Biarritz Olympique and Norway)
19 George Smith (Toulon and Australia)
20 Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues)
21 Willie Mason (Toulon)
22 Benoit Baby (Clermont Auvergne and France)

Last edited:

Latest posts