• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales vs BaaBaas

Great to see Nacewa included in the team. Also interesting to see how Martyn Williams goes against his younger counter part.

I thought Gatland said he wouldnt include any players who sign contracts with foreign teams, and players that werent fit and involved in the recent six nations series?

it would be funny if Martyn Williams totally outplayed Warburton, Iestyn Thomas destroyed Paul James, Paul ***o outplayed Charteris, and Lloyd Williams ran past Mike Phillips for the winning try

Great to see Lloyd Williams involved with the Barbarians. Dai will probably give him plenty of time on the pitch, because it will be in his interests to do so. Awesome to see Nacewa there aswell.

As for the Welsh team, I was very happy untill I saw Phillips and Bennett's name! I'm just hoping that Gatland has picked then as a final chance to proove themselves before getting dropped if they play poorly. I'd have any other Welsh hooker in front of Bennett (apart from Gareth Williams who has been very poor this season) including the Scarlets youngsters who have looked decent. I hope that Hibbard un-involvement means that he's safe of his place, because he's easily Wales' second best hooker with Ken Owens injured.

Despite all of Stoddart's weaknesses, this is a game that suits him down to the ground. He's Wales' best attacking fullback and I think he could do some serious damage in this game. It is also the perfect game to test if his defensive game has improved since his last outing at fullback for Wales. I'm quite excited to see this back three play together, although in a Baabaa's game it would have been nice to see one of the smaller nippier wingers play (Shane, Halfpenny, Harries), but they're all injured, so these guys get a good opportunity to stake a claim. Brew just needs to do what he does for the Dragons and he could secure a spot on the plane to NZ. Basically he needs to go looking for the ball. Same for North.

Midfield looks tasty imo. Gav has got a lot to proove, so it's now down to him, but if he can get his distribution game working with Davies and that back three outside him, we could be much more threatening than we have been in recent years. Whilst It would have been nice to see Priestland at 10, I think Steven Jones is the correct choice for this match, considering he'll be winning his 100th cap and the relative innexperience outside of him (including Gav short of recent experience). Gatland is probably looking to re-build Mike Phillips to some extent. He could still play an important part in NZ, but that's down to him. I wouldn't have personally started him, but I can understand Gatland's potential reasons.

The pack is pretty much as I'd have picked, bar Bennett. It's great to see Faletau at 8, what a game for him, up against arguably the best 8 in world rugby in Parisse. Very similar kinds of players, Faletau will learn a huge amount from this match whether he plays well or not, and that will be invaluable going forwards. Rest of the backrow is as expected. The match-up between Warburton and Williams is gonna be an awesome side-show to this game. I'm expecting Warburton to just about edge it, but I wouldn't put it past Martyn to pull something out the bag and show Warburton what almost 100 caps worth of experience can bring to your game. Should be epic!

Ryan Jones starting at lock was always on the cards. We're short of genuine top quality cover at lock behind Bradley Davies and Alun-Wyn Jones, Ryan Jones could provide that. In WC squads, versatility is always a bonus aswell. Charteris needs to step-up and dominate the lineout (although that might not be up to him with Bennett throwing the darts!). He's gotta put that close to 20st to good use aswell, something I don't always feel he does. I'd have probably started only one of those two alongside Alun-Wyn or Bradley, but that's only a minor point really. I've said enough about Bennett, and as for the props, bang on imo. Andrews is a poor, poor scrummager at the moment, and imo isn't ready for international rugby. Bevington suits this game, as he's our most mobile prop behind Gethin Jenkins. Paul James is there for his scrummaging abilities, and again versatility of good in WC squads.

Midfield looks tasty imo. Gav has got a lot to proove, so it's now down to him, but if he can get his distribution game working with Davies and that back three outside him, we could be much more threatening than we have been in recent years. Whilst It would have been nice to see Priestland at 10, I think Steven Jones is the correct choice for this match, considering he'll be winning his 100th cap and the relative innexperience outside of him (including Gav short of recent experience)

You don't get capped in Barbarian games.

I've actually put money on Stoddart being first to score and Gav being man of the match. But only with my mate on the Gav bit, as I can talk him out of it when he is a complete flop. (WHICH HE WON'T BE.)

I hope cyRil will have a flutter on Henson tomorrow ;)

I think Jamie Roberts is having a dip in form. this has not been helped by Cardiff having a problem at 10, and wales playing james hook out of position alongside him. I feel like Jamie needs a player with him who is a natural and creative centre. Henson would be ideal, but i feel that henson & jonathan davies may be better than henson & roberts.

maybe Jamie Roberts needs to look at his old position of 14. although he is not terribly fast, he does catch the high ball very well and can catch with his hands above his head. i think he could be like shane horgan, only a better ball carrier and decoy option. of course, he could still come into the backline for set piece moves.

I still think Roberts (as well as Halfpenny) could be worth a shot at fullback. It's not like we have any other players able to cover fullback, save James Hook.
If we need a big wing, I'd go with George North, who is no doubt quicker than Roberts.

I still think Roberts (as well as Halfpenny) could be worth a shot at fullback. It's not like we have any other players able to cover fullback, save James Hook.
If we need a big wing, I'd go with George North, who is no doubt quicker than Roberts.

i guess. i think a 15 now needs to be able to maintain position. lee byrne was very useful back when the game was heavily based around the up-and-under becuase that was his strength. i think a 15 now needs to either run the ball back with potential to make a break, or needs to have the strength in the tackle to buy time for his team mates to get back and secure possession-- and then you go on the attack from there.

lee byrne needs to be dropped, in my opinion, because he cannot really run the ball back effectively, or take a tackle. he lost wales tries and penalties in the 6 nations because of this.

I'd prefer Roberts in the centre with Henson (as he is such a good ball carrier) I reckon Halfpenny would be more suited at the back then Roberts as he is faster and has got a better boot than him. Just thinking of Henson and Roberts together in the centre seems perfect to me, creative players, great runners and huge tacklers. Roberts needs to stay in the centre in my opinon as I would like Shane and Brew/North/ Stoddart on the wings. But then again I think Lee B still can be useful, maybe even try to put him in centre for a few games to get his up and under habit out.

As has been eluded to now, the current trend of counter-attacking Fullbacks is something Wales must embrace and are begining to, by picking Morgan Stoddart in this game. As gifted runner, he's earnt his chance, even if he isn't as solid as the likes of Byrne or even Hook or Dan Fish.

For me, Davies is the better all-round centre than Roberts. However he has yet to translate that fully into international rugby. I simply feel that the extra pace of Davies and his excellent try scoring abilities makes him a more dangerous player than Roberts when paired with the potential distribution of Henson. Of course this all depends on Henson, and in two hours time we'll probably know whether or not he still has what it takes. We've also gotta remember that we're comparing Davies and Roberts at 13, and not 12 when playing alongside the orange one. I think Henson's stint at saracens clearly showed that he cannot simply shift over to accommodate Roberts at 12.

The way I see it, the options we have are Henson or Roberts at 12, and Davies or Hook at 13. I know Davies makes a better 12, but at the moment Wales are short at 13 and he's the best option to shift across (along with Hook).

This then brings us to the question of what happens to the two non starters at centre. Roberts can shift to the wing or fullback and Hook can shift to 10. The other two shouldn't be moved imo, and Hook shouldn't be considered at fullback. Roberts is a little slow as a winger, especially with the emergence of North who is close to Roberts' size but possesses bags more pace, so that leaves Roberts as either a 12 or 15. Hook and Roberts make great bench options aswell, with the entire backline covered (bar 9) between the two of them, so we could well see those two on the bench during the crunch matches in the WC depening on other players form.

Barbarians looking much more enterprising than Wales at the moment.

Latest posts