• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Warm Up Match 2: Blues v British & Irish Lions (Auckland)

Is it just me or is this an even weaker side than the one that faced the NPBs. Keep in mind I don't really follow NH rugby outside of tours, what are the NH poster's thoughts?

The only obvious improvements from the previous team that I can see with my scrub SH eyes are Cole, both Locks and perhaps the back three.

That said (sorry Blues fans) I don't have a huge amount of faith in this Blues team, they are serial underperformers with a lot of wasted potential. I fully expect the Lions to take this but if they bring the same weak s%#& the brought against the Baba's they will be in for a very tough game.

I don't think so actually, I think based on the units, most of which have played together before, this is a better team. Or at least I like it more. That doesn't mean player by player it's better but I think they should play like they've at least met each other before, unlike the other team.

Caveat though; this team is not going to score a bunch of tries, and wouldn't against many teams especially at such an early point in the tour. They will look to play with a tighter structure and not take too many risks. We will kick a lot and not try and run the Blues around too much. Gatland will hope that we win the territorial battle and the blues try and run it from silly parts of the field - we then punish them for that.

The major weaknesses are Biggar, Haskell (I don't rate his current form) and how Halfpenny interacts - or doesn't - with his wingers.

Strengths are that this is defensively just about the strongest side we have, apart from the halfbacks. Also, nearly the best front row we could muster.

Is it just me or is this an even weaker side than the one that faced the NPBs. Keep in mind I don't really follow NH rugby outside of tours, what are the NH poster's thoughts?

The only obvious improvements from the previous team that I can see with my scrub SH eyes are Cole, both Locks and perhaps the back three.

That said (sorry Blues fans) I don't have a huge amount of faith in this Blues team, they are serial underperformers with a lot of wasted potential. I fully expect the Lions to take this but if they bring the same weak s%#& the brought against the Baba's they will be in for a very tough game.
I would disagree and say that at this stage of the tour this is a stronger side than Saturdays, my thoughts behind this are that the combinations through the spine are used to each other and we should see a bit more cohesion at 1/2 back, 2nd row and in the centre especially.

I would disagree and say that at this stage of the tour this is a stronger side than Saturdays, my thoughts behind this are that the combinations through the spine are used to each other and we should see a bit more cohesion at 1/2 back, 2nd row and in the centre especially.
I don't think so actually, I think based on the units, most of which have played together before, this is a better team. Or at least I like it more. That doesn't mean player by player it's better but I think they should play like they've at least met each other before, unlike the other team.

Caveat though; this team is not going to score a bunch of tries, and wouldn't against many teams especially at such an early point in the tour. They will look to play with a tighter structure and not take too many risks. We will kick a lot and not try and run the Blues around too much. Gatland will hope that we win the territorial battle and the blues try and run it from silly parts of the field - we then punish them for that.

The major weaknesses are Biggar, Haskell (I don't rate his current form) and how Halfpenny interacts - or doesn't - with his wingers.

Strengths are that this is defensively just about the strongest side we have, apart from the halfbacks. Also, nearly the best front row we could muster.
How can you call Biggar a weakness he'll be better than Sexton was on Saturday

How can you call Biggar a weakness he'll be better than Sexton was on Saturday
How do you ever expect to be taken seriously on this forum when you downvote any post in which a Welsh player is criticised?

Yes Sexton was bad but Biggar shouldn't even be touring. Everyone here with a head on their shoulders knows that.

How do you ever expect to be taken seriously on this forum when you downvote any post in which a Welsh player is criticised?

Yes Sexton was bad but Biggar shouldn't even be touring. Everyone here with a head on their shoulders knows that.
WRONG I don't downvote as you say any post in which a Welsh player is criticised, only those that are relevant.
For the record Biggar is not even my favoured Osprey 10, but I do think that Sexton is in a bad run of form and Biggar will be better than JS was on Saturday, therefore should Sexton not improve as the tour progresses then Biggar will earn a bench spot in the tests.
The stand out players after game 1 were Falatau, Teo and the replacements Farrell, George and Tipuric showed well.
AWJ, Sexton, Laidlaw and Henderson were all below par.

WRONG I don't downvote as you say any post in which a Welsh player is criticised, only those that are relevant.
For the record Biggar is not even my favoured Osprey 10, but I do think that Sexton is in a bad run of form and Biggar will be better than JS was on Saturday, therefore should Sexton not improve as the tour progresses then Biggar will earn a bench spot in the tests.
The stand out players after game 1 were Falatau, Teo and the replacements Farrell, George and Tipuric showed well.
My only downvote is from you when I said that I don't think that Webb's nailed on over Murray...

Surprised that stander isn't captain, but hopefully means Owens is ahead of Best in the big picture, though.

Overall I like the side, what is it with international coaches playing Daly on the wing though? Has he ever played there at club level? I certainly can't remember him starting there within the last few years.

Captaincy to Owens rather than Stander? Careful Gatland, your bias is showing...

I don't think it matters who captains the side per se; it's more about quality of leadership on the pitch. I'm happy that Stander is playing and his style should mix it up a bit.

On the whole I'm quite positive about this lineup and looking forward to how the front five and midfield operate.

Although I agree with your player ratings from Saturday, you underestimate Sextons importance to the tour in my opinion. We need to get him back to form or we're in trouble. Biggar will probably be better on Wednesday than Sexton was on Saturday but that doesn't mean he has the ability to get the best out of the backs outside him. It's not as if I think Biggar is a bad rugby player, the point is the lions have picked a mostly exciting set of backs who will need to be able to score tries if we are to stand a chance against the All Blacks, and unfortunately Biggar is not the man to make that happen. Even given his shakey form I'd be very surprised not to see Sexton in every test 23.

Owens over Best for me too for the test. Have no complaints who captains this side. I'm sure by the end of the tour we'll see a few more players captain, including the likes of CJ and Farrell. It doesn't really matter.

Another interesting line up, like it a lot again. Shows how good this group is that I really think most places in the test XV are still open. Looking forward to seeing Nowell play, and that 2nd row will really help us in the line-out. Liam Williams is on the bench too. Lots of fun to be had

My only concern, and this isn't about this game, but we really could've done with one of Ford, S Davies or Russell instead of Biggar as I feel they are better game changers. Same at SH, someone like G Davies or Care should've gone instead of Laidlaw. Gats picked mediocrity as backup..

My only concern, and this isn't about this game, but we really could've done with one of Ford, S Davies or Russell instead of Biggar as I feel they are better game changers. Same at SH, someone like G Davies or Care should've gone instead of Laidlaw. Gats picked mediocrity as backup..

I was having exactly this conversation with one of my workmates this morning. We need something different 'off the bench' in order to change things and I fear we've gone for experience as oppose to exciting.

Surprised that stander isn't captain, but hopefully means Owens is ahead of Best in the big picture, though.

Overall I like the side, what is it with international coaches playing Daly on the wing though? Has he ever played there at club level? I certainly can't remember him starting there within the last few years.

Perhaps Gatland has already decided that JD will take the 13 shirt and he doesn't want Daly outshining him. I was hoping to see Daly partner Henshaw for this one. It may also come down to the fact that 1/2P and Hogg will start most matches at 15 which means Payne will predominantly play as a 13 with Daly fighting it out with the wingers which is a bit unfortunate.

I was critical of Sexton on Saturday but he is still in contention for the test 23 and like the others who played on Saturday should be given another opportunity to shine. Having Biggar as the impact 10 off the bench for the tests is very concerning.

Last edited:
Crusaders are not at full strength. They will not have K.Read or R.Crotty.

Big questions marks over whether S.Whitelock and O.Franks will be played too.

Read and Crotty are injured thou!
I thought the AB players wher gonna play for crusaders No?

I will give you a strong tip - if you are arguing about who should captain your squad and potential welsh bias then you are absolutely touring the wrong country. Kiwis are all about team first, player basics first. You are playing the weakest of all the Kiwi super rugby teams on wednesday and they will come at you like a freight train from hell.

Their only mission is to destroy you, to rip you apart and demoralize you. The fans will be baying for lion blood and truthfully be expecting a 20point+ victory. But keep talking about your Welsh Captain Bias! The game mentality between the hemispheres could not be further apart!

That could be the starting centres and back three for the tests, not that I'd like to see Payne or 1/2penny start but they're made for Gatland. Overall the side has a lot more shape than Saturday's, if Sexton gets on before Laidlaw some good back play could even break out. Probably the weakest 6 and 7 on tour though, SOB's injury mustn't be clearing up.

Their only mission is to destroy you, to rip you apart and demoralize you. The fans will be baying for lion blood and truthfully be expecting a 20point+ victory.

Not this fan.
I'll be hoping we don't get whipped like a cur.
7 years in the Super rugby wilderness is a long old prison sentence.

I'll be baying for... a hot cup of cocoa and a blanket to get me through this English summer.

Oh Auckland, the mighty hoops, I remember the days...

Last edited:
Read and Crotty are injured thou!

Out Damn Crot !!????

Nay Curmudgeon, I say unto thee Nay for thy words are like poison to mine ears, begone hence, witch, and take your foul forseenments and doth not cometh this way again, lest the dung beetles of Mt Eden gnaw upon your twisted soul and Burnham wood cometh to Dunsinane...

I will give you a strong tip - if you are arguing about who should captain your squad and potential welsh bias then you are absolutely touring the wrong country. Kiwis are all about team first, player basics first. You are playing the weakest of all the Kiwi super rugby teams on wednesday and they will come at you like a freight train from hell.

Their only mission is to destroy you, to rip you apart and demoralize you. The fans will be baying for lion blood and truthfully be expecting a 20point+ victory. But keep talking about your Welsh Captain Bias! The game mentality between the hemispheres could not be further apart!

What does anything fans have to say to do with what will happen on the pitch?

People talk about the things they feel are worthy of discussion, Kiwi's also regularly have complaints about selection on this board and other as all fan bases do. Talk about bias etc will just become amplified in an environment with 4 different nations coached by the head coach of one those nations.

I mean....none of us are playing for or coaching the Lions so we really have no impact on anything.....