• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Warm Up Match 2: Blues v British & Irish Lions (Auckland)

Yeah depends who he wants to use again, I think SOB is only 6/7 but could use Moriarty at 8 also where he did well in SN and will be interesting to see if he uses another FB option to Hogg and HP then Williams/Daly or Watson could play there
Doubt anyone without international experience at fullback will get a chance there (Daly or Watson) but would love to see Williams get a run there. I think he's our best option there at this point. Hogg and 1/2p both seem to have pretty glaring faults, Williams just doesn't.

I actually really like the Lions side. Webb could play himself into the starting 9 role. Personally I'd have him start alongside Farrell for the first test.

Doubt anyone without international experience at fullback will get a chance there (Daly or Watson) but would love to see Williams get a run there. I think he's our best option there at this point. Hogg and 1/2p both seem to have pretty glaring faults, Williams just doesn't.
Yeah good point about Daly/Watson and Williams played well at FB for wales in N.Z last year but still could find either playing a midweek match at FB,also JP a FB option,probably better option than Daly/Watson very smart hardly makes mistakes and astute defender but very short on pace would be only problem.

I'm a big fan of Webb, what let's his game down is giving penalties away for stupid things but he's a great scrum half who can really up the pace of a game. Biggar is solid but unspectacular 10. He will execute the game plan given to him well but will not be challenging the defence with his footwork or distribution skills. The pack looks good as long as Cole doesn't decide to dole penalties out for fun. It's a physical centre partnership, surprise , surprise but both Daly and Nowell can do some damage when given some ball. Halfpenny will be solid in defence and take his kicks while running headlong into the defence. Looking forward to see how Stander and Tirpruic play off each other, great combination of brute strength and great footwork in the back row.

They're a physical centre partnership but also more than capable distributors (though Payne's distribution is better from 15) and as good a defensive partnership as any out there.

good blues side though the greenhorn at 10 is interesting. adds another element to the game I guess. Kinda a shame west isn't starting. West is capable of producing a big game when needed. Kinda feel like on a good day he can play a major role on upsetting the lions.

good blues side though the greenhorn at 10 is interesting. adds another element to the game I guess. Kinda a shame west isn't starting. West is capable of producing a big game when needed. Kinda feel like on a good day he can play a major role on upsetting the lions.
Where is west? I haven't seen him in blues matches recently. Injured? Perhap Umaga reckons the lions will pick on his size. Chances are they will do it no matter who is 10. Is this new lad a bit beefier?

Lions will need to summon a bit of oomph for their next few matches. They sure will be interesting to watch how both sides get on, in all games. Reckon the lions might squeak past the blues, but think the crusaders too good at this point. They've worked out how not to lose this year. At all costs. Even when 20 odd down. Will reserve judgement till after the blues match.

You can't give the British and Irish Lions captaincy to Stander, he is South African...

That's a fair point. As much as Stander claims to be a converted Irishman I'm not sure that having him as Captain would be that conducive towards building the team spirit of nations put together with players who have dreamt of playing for the team since they were little kids whilst he dreamt of being a Springbok. I don't know why he is even being mentioned anyway, Owens is a regular captain.

Last edited:
I will give you a strong tip - if you are arguing about who should captain your squad and potential welsh bias then you are absolutely touring the wrong country. Kiwis are all about team first, player basics first. You are playing the weakest of all the Kiwi super rugby teams on wednesday and they will come at you like a freight train from hell.

Their only mission is to destroy you, to rip you apart and demoralize you. The fans will be baying for lion blood and truthfully be expecting a 20point+ victory. But keep talking about your Welsh Captain Bias! The game mentality between the hemispheres could not be further apart!

I think your general point Is spot on, you are pointing at the wrong source though. This whinging culture is heavily set in the UK and Ireland at all levels of society. In sports in particular it is a huge negative. The mentality seeps into coaching, administration, players themselves as well as fans and the media, its all manifesting.

The kiwis in general are a lot more no bullshit , get to the point quit your complaining type of people and it certainly helps in sports.

That's a fair point. As much as Stander claims to be a converted Irishman I'm not sure that having him as Captain would be that conducive towards building the team spirit of nations put together with players who have dreamt of playing for the team since they were little kids whilst he dreamt of being a Springbok. I don't know why he is even being mentioned anyway, Owens is a regular captain.

Would have been a fair point if your coach did not contradict the point your making. Gatland who is in charge of the lions by your logic grew up wanting to play for the All Blacks. "I'm not sure that having him as Coach would be that conducive towards building the team spirit of nations put together with players who have dreamt of playing for the team since they were little kids."

Would have been a fair point if your coach did not contradict the point your making. Gatland who is in charge of the lions by your logic grew up wanting to play for the All Blacks. "I'm not sure that having him as Coach would be that conducive towards building the team spirit of nations put together with players who have dreamt of playing for the team since they were little kids."

Its a bit different coaching and captaining you mong.

Where is west? I haven't seen him in blues matches recently. Injured? Perhap Umaga reckons the lions will pick on his size. Chances are they will do it no matter who is 10. Is this new lad a bit beefier?

Lions will need to summon a bit of oomph for their next few matches. They sure will be interesting to watch how both sides get on, in all games. Reckon the lions might squeak past the blues, but think the crusaders too good at this point. They've worked out how not to lose this year. At all costs. Even when 20 odd down. Will reserve judgement till after the blues match.
Perofeta is even smaller I think, so I don't think size is the deciding factor. I guess Tana doesn't rate West, much like he doesn't seem to rate Nanai. He definitely has some questionable selection policies... the continued non-starting of Tuipolotu is another one.
That being said though, I actually like the selection of Perofeta. He's young, sure, but all class and has great potential. This is a massive opportunity for him and I'm personally glad that he's getting it.

They're a physical centre partnership but also more than capable distributors (though Payne's distribution is better from 15) and as good a defensive partnership as any out there.

Yep looking forward to seeing them play. What I meant is that Gatland will never pick a centre combo Farrell and Joseph as one of them isn't over 15st. I think Henshaw has a good chance of starting the first test, a big physical ball carrier who can pass, which Gatland loves.

Yep looking forward to seeing them play. What I meant is that Gatland will never pick a centre combo Farrell and Joseph as one of them isn't over 15st. I think Henshaw has a good chance of starting the first test, a big physical ball carrier who can pass, which Gatland loves.

I fully expect a partnership of Henshaw & JD in the tests with Te'o coming off the bench for Henshaw. I think JJ is pretty far down the pecking order as there was a lot of talk that at one stage he wasn't even in the squad and was brought in at the last minute. Farrell has been brought as a 10 - end of story. If Henshaw or Te'o get injured then you can bet your bottom dollar that Jamie Roberts will get called up.

With regards to Stander being captain because he is from SA, I'm fine with it. I don't think players should be able to play for a country after just 3 years but those are the rules (soon to change). Stander has proved himself with Ireland and was picked therefore he should have the chance to captain.

I fully expect a partnership of Henshaw & JD in the tests with Te'o coming off the bench for Henshaw. I think JJ is pretty far down the pecking order as there was a lot of talk that at one stage he wasn't even in the squad and was brought in at the last minute. Farrell has been brought as a 10 - end of story. If Henshaw or Te'o get injured then you can bet your bottom dollar that Jamie Roberts will get called up.

I get the impression you are not a Gatland fan Oggmonster haha. I will however, agree with you in principal on your first few points. I think, if the test was tomorrow it'd be Henshaw and Davies. However, I believe the management team that this time around the midweek games early count and that they haven't got the test shirts nailed down yet. I want to see JJ get a bit of form when he plays next, preferably with an effective half back partnership.

I feel if a player has is eligible for the Lions shirt, and understands, embraces and is proud of the role, then I can't see why you would not consider them to be captain. Only the coaches can make that call being on the inside. Captains tend to be natural anyway and hold the respect of the players, no matter what their nationality.

a big physical ball carrier who can pass, which Gatland loves.
Since when has he liked centres that can pass? :p

I think henshaw/JJ is the best partnership they can make for the tests. As good as Fox looked at the end of the season how many times has he looked excellent but then backed it up with terrible form for ages after?
Theoretically he should definitely be in the mix but I struggle to trust him.

Thing about the early stages of these tours is that you basically have to substitute familiarity with general rugby intelligence / awareness. By which I mean, you don't have a developed understanding of the players around you which is why you have to be really able to read the game and sense opportunities.

Here's an example (crap quality) when Laidlaw needs to be aware of Teo's line which is really good and probably would have got him over the line. Also a nice line from Joseph.

Edit: GIF not showing up for me? It shows in the preview but not in the thread? @TRF_Josh ?

ghZQ9J_zpsroj37yvq.gif

Latest posts