• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

We Need To Talk About London Irish

Last night club backtracked by saying it would now only pay 50% of May salaries and on the proviso that the players didn't submit breach of contract letters the rest would be covered by the new owners. Players given 15 minutes notice of a late night meeting and told if they didn't accept this offer there would be no pay and the club would go under.

Hard to see this ending well. RFU may make a decision as early as today.
I can't see how that wouldn't be reneging on whatever deal was made to get an extension out of the RFU

I can't see how that wouldn't be reneging on whatever deal was made to get an extension out of the RFU
Quite.

Apparently the RFU / Premiership Rugby have set up a benevolent fund to help employees if the club goes to the wall (unclear whether this is Irish specific or would apply to any club, presumably the latter). Obviously laudable but no detail on amounts or how it's actually being funded.

Rumours that Bath have made offers for Pearson and Arundell.

Jesus within a couple of years, Bath's team has changed... pick ups of Pearson, Arundell, Lawrence, Barbeary and Hill is pretty insane.

Bath recruiting talented young back rowers like infinity stones. Hill, Underhill, Barbeary, Reid, Pearson and Bayliss all at the same club would be mad.

TBH, I've no idea where Bath stand in relation to the salary cap for next season - there's just been too many moving parts over the last 12 months; and of course, Hooper has moved on - it was (apparently) his call/advice to keep some cap unspent at the beginning of each year to spend on mid-season availabilities; and we've no idea if JVG would agree that it's a good idea.

It's "known" that GJVV has been offered a contract, but unknown whether he's accepted it; I guess that if not, it could be withdrawn, but... I just dunno.
It's thought that FLW had been offered a full year contract, but is only staying for 2 months - though it was also thought back in February that he'd already committed himself to return to Aus; so I don't really believe that one.

The only known summer signings are Russell (marquee) and Du Toit, whilst Doughty, Rae, Attwood, WSpencer, DeCarpentier, White, Green, Venter, Hamer-Webb, Atkins and 80% of Fergus Lee-Warner are outgoing.
Of course, Hill, Barbeary and Lawrence will be going up onto "proper" contracts this summer; but no idea how much of an increase that would actually be (are they going up from £100k combined? or £100k each?).

As with Hill, Barbeary and Lawrence; Bath having a dedicated financer has got to make it attractive to anyone who's just had the rug pulled out from underneath them.

Of course, there's also rumour of cap dispensation being allowed to recruit players from LI - but then those same rumours were doing the rounds with Wuss and Wasps...

Of those mentioned, Arundell has a connection to Bath, being a Beechen Cliff old-boy.
Pearson and CCS have been mentioned as "wanna have" on the Bath fan forums; but that doesn't even reach the level of "speculation".

Quite honestly though, I'd expect those 3 to be "of interest" to... everybody in the league if they can be afforded.

I forgot Barbeary was still at a rugby club. Such an unfortunate set of injuries for the lad. Hopefully we see him back playing in the premiership next season.

I could see Pearson as an underhill replacement (if he's too injured or bath want to move on). I'm guessing most clubs will want him though.

I would've thought Exeter would be eyeing Irish up closely considering how many players they're losing - they're down like 4 backrowers, 3 centres, couple of back three players
If OHC hadn't gone to Tigers I'd have said he'd be the perfect replacement for Nowell
Cinti for Nowell, Loader for Hogg, Pearson for Simmonds?

We'd be in the market for a lock with loto leaving last minute and ribbans leaving in the summer.

We signed Temo Mayanavanua to replace ribbans but it doesn't seem a like for like talent wise. Not sure we'd need any more backs. We have such a good crop coming through or although in the team and young.

I forgot Barbeary was still at a rugby club. Such an unfortunate set of injuries for the lad. Hopefully we see him back playing in the premiership next season.

I could see Pearson as an underhill replacement (if he's too injured or bath want to move on). I'm guessing most clubs will want him though.
Got to be worst club for him to have gone to in terms of injury record.

I would've thought Exeter would be eyeing Irish up closely considering how many players they're losing - they're down like 4 backrowers, 3 centres, couple of back three players
If OHC hadn't gone to Tigers I'd have said he'd be the perfect replacement for Nowell
Cinti for Nowell, Loader for Hogg, Pearson for Simmonds?

Feyi-Waboso is our replacement for Nowell, I imagine Ethan Roots is our Simmonds replacement and Hodge and Wyatt were already pushing Hogg out of the squad. We have to live to our means and taking on more players to our already bloated ranks wouldn't make sense.

Now, fly half... there's a different discussion and one which isn't best discussed on this thread

Now, fly half... there's a different discussion and one which isn't best discussed on this thread
I was thinking the other day that I'd love for us to sign Gooperth on a one year deal now that he's out of contract. Get him in as starting 10 this year but, more importantly, to help develop WHW and Hawkins as 10/12s. Think his experience would be invaluable.

Latest posts