• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

wellington anyone?

S

sambãd5

hey guys, very seriously considering moving to wellington, but being a aucklander who hasnt spent any time there, i just want to know, what are the good suburbs? i would hate to move to the otara of wellington, so gives a heads up for me?

looking on trade me, newtown looks to be the place that we (me and a mate) are considering moving to. and the surounding suburbs of brooklyn, vogeltown, mt cook, mt victoria, or central. also lower hut is an option.

but yeah, whats the good places.

Depends really, do you have money to burn?Wellington isnt the cheapest place to stay. I'm no expert on flatting or living costs though.The 'Otara' of wellington is Porirua (some people consider porirua part of welly) take it from someone who lives there lol. Porirua is real cheap and YES there are nice suburbs like whitby or mana etc. The upside of living in the bad side of Porirua is that its cheap and its not as bad as people say. Just dont walk around by yourself late at night at Cannons Creek haha.

its cheaper than auckland. considerably. heres a story, me and my mate drove down to hamilton for a hamburger today. went to this parking building parked the car, and went to CBD? or something, up the road from beefeaters haha. but went and had a kiwiburger, so big i couldnt eat the bloody thing. along with a red bull only cost me $20. in auckland easy 25 for it. and then i got back to the carpark. paid for a hours parking. dollar fifty. i threw a f***ing fit. a DOLLAR FIFTY!!! youve got to be ******** me. and a earlybird i noticed was $4.50. $4.50!!! ive been paying $7 A HOUR in auckland. f***ing rediculas.

but anyway. the two of us are both looking for full time hospo work and in that industry you dont spend much money. (staffies anyone?) but we look on trademe for flats and they are like $200-350pw for a 2-3 flat which is sweet as, so that works out to be around $150ish pw each including.

True, you have to pay for hot water too in Auckland. I know a guy who goes to my uni who only has to pay $150 pw and that covers everything including the bills etc. Im no expert when It comes to Wellington, but if you wanna consider the rich and good suburbs in porirua from Whitby, plimmerton to parremata its all good. You'll be far away from hoodlums like me lol.

yeah i found that a bit odd too, one of the places on trade me said expences were like 15 a week. cheap as chips.

my mate said that for $150+ exp we have to look in lower hut. true?

most admitedly im looking for no more than $200+ but meh.

my mate said that for $150+ exp we have to look in lower hut. true?

most admitedly im looking for no more than $200+ but meh. [/b]

I wouldn't know where to pinpoint exactly which areas are the cheapest. My friend who pays 150+exp is currently staying in wellington.

True, you have to pay for hot water too in Auckland. I know a guy who goes to my uni who only has to pay $150 pw and that covers everything including the bills etc. Im no expert when It comes to Wellington, but if you wanna consider the rich and good suburbs in porirua from Whitby, plimmerton to parremata its all good. You'll be far away from hoodlums like me lol. [/b]

Is that in a Hall?

It's going to cost me $250 a week next year for a single room and a crappy ensuite, although that includes 3 meals, water and power, as well as a fancy swipe card to get in and out. It's in or near the middle of town as well from memory (It's the St George Hall).

<div class='quotemain'> True, you have to pay for hot water too in Auckland. I know a guy who goes to my uni who only has to pay $150 pw and that covers everything including the bills etc. Im no expert when It comes to Wellington, but if you wanna consider the rich and good suburbs in porirua from Whitby, plimmerton to parremata its all good. You'll be far away from hoodlums like me lol. [/b]

Is that in a Hall?

It's going to cost me $250 a week next year for a single room and a crappy ensuite, although that includes 3 meals, water and power, as well as a fancy swipe card to get in and out. It's in or near the middle of town as well from memory (It's the St George Hall).
[/b][/quote]

Its a student flat. I dunno, I've never seen a flash flat before. It's not really an isolated case I've seen other places in wellington for roughly the same price and deal.

Conjoint BCA/BSC.

Well on my way to getting busted for fraud and dealing P to B-List Celebraties.

I live in lower hutt and i pay 240 for a 2 bedroom. i actually only pay 120 of that. its part of a block of 10 flats. Nice quite part of lower hutt.

It all depends on where abouts your going to work. How you want to get there like train or something. If your in lower hutt it costs like 4 bucks each way or you can get a monthly pass or something. but if you go for somewhere like newtown or something and worked in the city you wouldnt have to pay anything as you could just walk.

I dont mind wellington, i love it alot more than auckland. but its still not a patch on christchurch lol :)

haha, yeah christchurch is a hole.

being a bar manager, comuting is a dream. no rush hour traffic. but living in the city would be prefrable, so i can get on the **** after and walk home. and from what im told, unlike auckland who has all the good pubs on the main road, and a handfull off it, wellington is more spread out, in terms of pubs etc, so im sure that i can find a flat close to one.

haha, yeah christchurch is a hole.

being a bar manager, comuting is a dream. no rush hour traffic. but living in the city would be prefrable, so i can get on the **** after and walk home. and from what im told, unlike auckland who has all the good pubs on the main road, and a handfull off it, wellington is more spread out, in terms of pubs etc, so im sure that i can find a flat close to one.
[/b]

:toss: Have a beat.

I'm in a flat with 3 other fellas in the ilam area of chch paying 110 a week (excluding extras), only a 2 minute walk to the greatest uni in the world, Canterbury.

It isn't a bad flat also, better than dunners anyway (but thats not saying much). I only work 2 days a week during uni, so that and my 150 a week loan gets me thru fine.

It also probably costs less to live in Sudan or Cuba, but, just like Christchurch, the power only runs 8 hours of the day if your lucky... and the less said about the "running" water, the better.

paid for a hours parking. dollar fifty. i threw a f***ing fit. a DOLLAR FIFTY!!! youve got to be ******** me. and a earlybird i noticed was $4.50. $4.50!!! ive been paying $7 A HOUR in auckland. f***ing rediculas.
[/b]

Haha classic! i know what it mean, 7bucks p/hr is crazy sh*t for parking man. I really don't understand it! Auckland shouldn't have the slightest of difficulties coming up with the cash for the new and improved Eden Park lol

That's straight daylight robbery! lol

It isn't a bad flat also, better than dunners anyway (but thats not saying much).[/b]

exactly. anything would look like your walking through the pearly gates of heaven if you have just come from an otago flat.

Chur Sambad, come to Wellington. Its the f***ing place to be.

Basically, if your working in hospo live the the CBD or surrounding suburbs. The hutt is cheap but its a hell hole. Nothing to do, you don't get any of the benefits of living in welly. Plus the hours hospo people work you'll pretty much need a car to get to and from work if you work in the cbd and live out there. That sucks. You shouldn't need a car in Welly.

Places like Newtown are cheap and some of the flats are mint as, but it does get a bit gangster at night. I used to work close at the newtown new world, was the scariest time of my life when I had to walk home.

You can usually get good inner city places for less than 150. I don't know many people that pay that much. I payed 130 plus exp this year in mt cook which was pretty sweet.

Karori is the place to be my friend.

Biggest suberb in the southern hemisphere, and its not even packed, its mostley bush... No trouble at all here, and only a 10minute drive to anywhere in Wellington.

Latest posts