• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What new PC game should I buy?

hopefully there is a pci-e slot on the motherboard that a video card can be put into rest of the specs seem reasonable enough. something like an 8800gt would do nicely and not be bottlenecked by the cpu.

Thanks for the replies lads, I'm going to head down and try and sort it out tonight. All being well they can do me a deal and put in a new video card. Though I believe I might have a case for them doing it for free as I think they were putting misleading information beside the system. First of all they said it was the "next generation for gaming" surely if it was the next generation then a game which can run on my two year old laptop should run on my new desktop (Rome - Total War) yet it doesn't work :angry: Secondly they were also selling as a "deal" that if I bought the Dell Inspiron 530 desktop I could purchase Assassin's Creed at half price. Strange though because according to the advice given by Sir. Speedy (to use Can You RUN It?) it says that I can not run Assassin's Creed :wacko: If I couldn't run it, why were PC World selling it along with the desktop? Is that not false advertising or misleading information?

My video card is 133MB and Assassin's Creed needs 256MB, it needs a Video HW Transform & Lighting yet my PC doesn't have that, it needs a Vertex Shader Ver of 3.0 and my PC has 0.0 and finally it needs a Pixel Shader Ver of 3.0 and I have 2.0

Anyone think I have a case?

yeah I think you have a case. The rest of the PC looks good (even the case!), but they've nobled it with the graphics card. Oddly the lowest spec 530 has the best graphics card.

get the best card you can afford or choke out of them, the cpu should be able to push it!

If it's Dell, best of luck updating it. They build their boxes to be as disposable as macs, therefore a *****/imposable to update.
[/b]

they used to (probably still do) crossover two pins in their 'ATX' power supply so if you replaced it with a non Dell power supply it would fry the mother board. Nice people.

What would be the best video card? Looking for one under £50 though might increase my price. I'll try and get them to put in a new video card for free or at least at a very cheap price.

Something like this looks good. Why not install it yourself, pretty easy to do, here's a quick guide demonstrating how*. PC-World will charge you waaay to much for both the graphics card in the first place & to install it. Save yourself some cash, or spend more on the graphics card itself and buy from amzon, ebuyer etc. and get someone/install it yourself.

* note, your power supply should have the required power adapter for a new graphics card, but as they describe in the guide, a converter is easy to install.

Yeah PC World will probably charge me a lot, but I'm trying to get them to do it for a lot less as, I believe, they were giving me misleading information. Don't know if it'll work though.

Probably not, they've already got the sale out of you, they will no longer give a flying f*** what happens, unless that is they can charge you twice it would cost anywhere else to upgrade/fix something!

By all means give it a go, if it works great, but PC-World are known for their customer care, pitty it's for all the wrong reasons.

Probably not, they've already got the sale out of you, they will no longer give a flying f*** what happens, unless that is they can charge you twice it would cost anywhere else to upgrade/fix something!

By all means give it a go, if it works great, but PC-World are known for their customer care, pitty it's for all the wrong reasons.
[/b]

just get in there and make a scene, they hate that. My wife got a new TV out of Curry's doing that.

I havnt read through this thread properly so if I missed this then sorry.

Age of Empires III does work on Vista, cause I have it and play it alot and I'm running Vista.

I havnt read through this thread properly so if I missed this then sorry.

Age of Empires III does work on Vista, cause I have it and play it alot and I'm running Vista. [/b]

we have determined that the graphics card in the computer is at fault since it is only intet intergrated and therefore cannot really play any games.

Got it all sorted. They gave me 40% off a new video card, which I was very pleased about. Though I could tell they were annoyed at me. As they manager said the video card wasn't wrong, just the fact some twat (as he put it) put the wrong information beside the system details.

A natty trick if anyone is having Vista related problems is to roll back onto XP and install Service Pack 3 (which quietly slipped in through the back door unannounced last month).

All the benefits that Vista provides, with the added bonus that it actually works!

Latest posts