• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Which players deserve a Star/impact player status in 2012?

Not really a fan but if I had to mention players I rate;

Prop
I wouldn't know I've fancied Jones and Jenkins since the B&I Lions tour.

Hooker
Bismarck du Plessis, William Servat, Keven Mealamu

Lock
Victor Matfield for his insane line-out work but as for the rest, I really wouldn't know.

Loose forward
Imanol Harinorduquy, Keiran Read, Stephen Ferris, Jerome Kaino, Richie McCaw, David Pocock, Juan Smith, Jamie Heaslip, Juan Fernandez Lobbe, Sergio Parrisse

Half
Fourie du Preez, Dan Carter... erm lots of players come close to making it here but these two are a class apart IMO

Center
Jannick Jauzion, Brian O'Driscoll, James Hook, Jaque Fourie, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Adam Ashley Cooper

Outbacks
Kurtley Beale, Drew Mitchell, Mills Muliaina, Cory Jane, Cedric Heymans, Shane Williams, Brian Ashton

For Ireland defintely:
BOD
Bowe
Heaslip
Ferris
O'connell

England:
Wilkinson
Foden
Youngs

France:
mathieu bastareaud
Yannick Jauzion
Nicolas Mas
Maxime Medard

Italy
Sergio Parisse

Argentina
Juan M.F Lobbe
Felipe Contepomi

Australia
Stephen Moore
Nathan Sharpe
Rocky Elsom
David Pocock
Will Genia
Matt Giteau
Drew Mitchell
James O'Connor
Kurtley Beale

Canada

England
Andrew Sheridan
Courtney Lawes
Tom Croft
Ben Youngs
Jonny Wilkinson
Chris Ashton
Ben Foden

Fiji

France
William Servat
Lionel Nallet
Imanol Harinordoquy
Morgan Parra
Francois Trinh-Duc
Yannick Jauzion
Maxime Medard

Ireland
Paul O'Connell
Jamie Heaslip
Ronan O'Gara
Brian O'Driscoll
Tommy Bowe

Italy
Martin Castrogiovanni
Sergio Parisse
Mauro Bergamasco
Mirco Bergamasco

Japan

New Zealand
Keven Mealamu
Brad Thorn
Jerome Kaino
Richie McCaw
Kieran Read
Daniel Carter
Ma'a Nonu
Conrad Smith
Sonny Bill Williams
Hosea Gear
Mils Muliaina

Romania

Samoa
Census Johnston
Mikaele Pesamino
Alesana Tuilagi

Scotland
Richie Gray
John Barclay
Kelly Brown
Dan Parks
Sean Lamont
Chris Paterson

South Africa
Tendai Mtawarira
CJ van der Linde
Bakkies Botha
Victor Matfield
Willem Alberts
Juan Smith
Pierre Spies
Ruan Pienaar
Morne Steyn
Bryan Habana

Tonga
Soane Tonga'uiha

USA
Takudzwa Ngwenya

Wales
Gethin Jenkins
Adam Jones
Alun Wyn Jones
Bradley Davies
Sam Warbuton
Andy Powell
Mike Phillips
James Hook
Jamie Roberts
Shane Williams
Lee Byrne

In my opinion the star rating system in Rugby '06 led to a serious lack of variety in my World League teams, as you always aimed to get the best team which would be the star players. Having the star players there with a number of perks per player but removing the 'star' sign would be much more effective.

Scrap it completely. Its bloomin of putting. If you have it, keep it on player select menus, not floating stupidly over their heads!!!!

from ARGENTINA : 1) J.Hernandez
2) F. Contepomi
3) J. F. Lobbe
4) P. Albacete
5) R. Roncero
6) M. Ledesma

and more!!!

Argentina
Juan M.F Lobbe
Felipe Contepomi

Australia
Stephen Moore
Nathan Sharpe
Rocky Elsom
David Pocock
Will Genia
Matt Giteau
Drew Mitchell
James O'Connor
Kurtley Beale

Canada

England
Andrew Sheridan
Courtney Lawes
Tom Croft
Ben Youngs
Jonny Wilkinson
Chris Ashton
Ben Foden

Fiji

France
William Servat
Lionel Nallet
Imanol Harinordoquy
Morgan Parra
Francois Trinh-Duc
Yannick Jauzion
Maxime Medard

Ireland
Paul O'Connell
Jamie Heaslip
Ronan O'Gara
Brian O'Driscoll
Tommy Bowe

Italy
Martin Castrogiovanni
Sergio Parisse
Mauro Bergamasco
Mirco Bergamasco

Japan

New Zealand
Keven Mealamu
Brad Thorn
Jerome Kaino
Richie McCaw
Kieran Read
Daniel Carter
Ma'a Nonu
Conrad Smith
Sonny Bill Williams
Hosea Gear
Mils Muliaina

Romania

Samoa
Census Johnston
Mikaele Pesamino
Alesana Tuilagi

Scotland
Richie Gray
John Barclay
Kelly Brown
Dan Parks
Sean Lamont
Chris Paterson

South Africa
Tendai Mtawarira
CJ van der Linde
Bakkies Botha
Victor Matfield
Willem Alberts
Juan Smith
Pierre Spies
Ruan Pienaar
Morne Steyn
Bryan Habana

Tonga
Soane Tonga'uiha

USA
Takudzwa Ngwenya

Wales
Gethin Jenkins
Adam Jones
Alun Wyn Jones
Bradley Davies
Sam Warbuton
Andy Powell
Mike Phillips
James Hook
Jamie Roberts
Shane Williams
Lee Byrne

Wayyyy too many star players here. I think the idea should either be scrapped, or just have 15 star players. Make a 'World XV', with everyone in it as star players. It either shouldnt have star players, or just have a few so that they are rare. There are a lot of good players stated on here, but hardly any are amazing. You should just be looking at people like McCaw, Bowe and Carter

The star England players currently are:

Flood
Haskell
Ashton

I'm also one for the scrapping of this Star System. I never saw the need in it myself as surely the great players will be noticable from the stats rather than a star above their head?

Also if we are to add a World XV then I think it probably should be one that includes the greats of the game, past and present.

I like the stars, it adds magic.

For all the calls for unlimited editing, it bugs me when it's possible to just create players with maxed out stats on a whim. I like the idea that a handful of players have a certain class that sets them apart - because thats how it is in real life. If the All Blacks have 5/6 players who are exceptional, then so be it - I want them to destroy me if I'm playing as a weaker side and I'm not good at the game.

The star player system has worked in the past and to do so again wont last in the long run.

A new stategy needs to be made to create a wider foundation for the game to grow.

Fifa and Madden has taken the approach as real as it gets, and have accomplished that and theres nothing much else left too do. Will rugby head in the same direction or will there be a new erra in how to capture a sport game. most people are happy to buy the same game but different year in year out, like call of duty.

But call of duty has had a clear understanding of how to challenge the gamer and make the same game replayable over and over again and yet still be rewarded for doing it ! Im talking about create a class, perks, customisation, challenges, unlocks, stats leaderboard etc.

I think the same elements can be transported to the sporting games such as rugby. e.g. transfers, stadiums, weather, players, gear, coach intelligence, player skills, player conditioning, meters gained or meters lost, team flair, player confidence, team loyalty, coach opinion, media, player and team respect, finance, team finance, player finance, global wealth, player wealth, team wealth, player champion, team champion, champion team, player on field stats equals unlocks and skill upgrades, and all these subjects broken down into sub catagories which connect together as one core foundation to encourage replayabilty and challenge on a global level e.c.t. a bit of a brainstorm on how to take such an approach and not to take away the core enjoyment of playing a game of rugby.

Well theres an idea. cheers.

Last edited:
Star Players?!

I think having star players is a must because every country has atleast one player who can change the game in one moment (Shane Williams for Wales for example) but in rugby 08 star player were all 99 in rating and the players could just run through the whole team, this is unrealistic and needs to be changed. So what i was thinking was that star players should have a specific skill set added to them such as quick feet by Shane Williams, one handed offload by Sonny Bill Williams, that crazy sidestep that quade cooper does.

To add to this point i think the side stepping system needs to be changed, because in rugby 08 the side step just completely slowed down the player and the opposing team caught up with him. I think they could use the jukeing system in madden and use it for sidestepping because it is fluent and is easy to use and doesnt slow the player down very much.

But back to the point i think most countries should have atleast 2 forwards and 2 backs and here is a list of the teams i know enough of to name some star players but you can also add teams star players if i havent put them:

Wales:
Gethin Jenkins, Bradley Davies, Sam Warburton, James Hook, Jamie Roberts, Lee Byrne, Shane Williams (but hes probably going to retire after the world cup).

England:
James Haskell, Courtney Lawes, Tom Croft, Ben Youngs, Toby Flood, Chris Ashton, Ben Foden.

Scotland:
Richie Gray, Sean Lamont, Max Evans (sorry dont really know many scottish players).

Ireland:
Paul O`Connell, Jamie Heaslip, Sean O`Brien, Stephen Ferris, Tommy Bowe, Brian O`Driscoll.

Other Countries:
Dan Carter (NZ)
Sonny Bill Williams (NZ)
Richie Mccaw (NZ)
Quade Cooper (AUS)
Will Genia (AUS)
Adam Ashley-Cooper (AUS)
Drew Mitchell (AUS)
Morne Steyn (SA)
Ryan Kankowski (SA)
Alesana Tuilagi (SAM)

Best Young players:
Ben Youngs (ENG)
Manu Tuilagi (ENG)
James O`Connor (AUS)
Kurtley Beale (AUS)
George North (WAL)
(Don`t really know many young players)

Please add to the these lists as i have have missed quite alot.

Thanks for reading.

If you have to have star players, remove the stupid star sign that floats above them!

"Well they managed to get George Gregan and Stephen Larkham in Rugby 08?
(then again,

when did they retire?) Again, Im shabby with Aussie, but it seems like ages ago since Larkham played, though I heard Gregan played 07 WC?"

they both played in the 2007 RWC and retired from international rugby and went to play in Japan after. =). so they were in 08 as that was a game for the 2007 world cup where they played.

Last edited:
Ok
Shane Williams For Wales
ruardiah jackson
james hook
PAUL SACKEY HA HA
Sean O Brien 100 percent no doubt

Latest posts