• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Which players deserve a Star/impact player status in 2012?

NZ:
Richie McCaw
Dan Carter

SA:
Fourie du Preez
Bryan Habana?
Victor Matfield?

AUS:
Quade Cooper
James O'Conner? (maybe not yet)
Will Genia

IRE:
Brian O'Driscoll

ENG:
Chris Ashton
Ben Foden
Ben Youngs?

ITA:
Sergio Parisse

USA:
Zee Ngwenya

AUS
- James O'Connor
-Quade Cooper
-Kurtly Beale
-Will Genia
-David Pocok

NZL
-Dan Carter
-Richie McCaw
-Kieran Read
-Mils Muliaina
-Sonny Bill Williams

RSA
-Victor Matfield
-Fourie du Preez
-Jaque Fourie
-Morne Steyn

If the star players are going to work there needs to be very few of them as in no more than 20 in the whole game. Or what might work better is a special trait/s feature (like FIFA), such as 'Line Breaker', 'Scrummager', 'Long Kicker' etc and only given to players who are exceptional at them. I think i might prefer this method as it would only make them better at their specialities, plus a floating star on peoples head does distract you.

I think it would be better to have some kinda changing ratings system going on, maybe tied in with form/age/experience/class etc.

I didn't like the star players thing in the last games, but if you can make it like their playing standard depends on stuff like if they are in their preferred position or how they have been playing in the tournament you are doing

if you are playing exhibition matches, maybe just take out the form element, or have some way of dictating the form of different players before you play (like when selecting teams or w/e)

If the star players are going to work there needs to be very few of them as in no more than 20 in the whole game. Or what might work better is a special trait/s feature (like FIFA), such as 'Line Breaker', 'Scrummager', 'Long Kicker' etc and only given to players who are exceptional at them.

Like this idea - people floating around Shontayne Hape, Ryan Kankowski, Ben Foden, Sean Lamont etc as "star players" is absurd. Stars should be few and far between, or it takes away from the genius players like Dan Carter, Richie McCaw, David Pocock - genuine world class talent who regularly influence the outcome of games: no problem with them being 'stars', but you cant go simply making 'very very good' players as stars....because guess what, at international level, there's bloody loads of very very good players.

Think Madden provides a good template - the best players have 'star attributes' (can't remember the exact term) so they are especially powerful runners, or elusive runners. So Dan Carter would obv be stacked with these abilities - goal kicking, kicking out of hand, distribution. Someone like McCaw would possess tackling, ball stealing, leadership for example. Think its more balanced than simply making it that a promising young player such a Foden gets a star, and can suddenly dominate a game.

Rant over.

England;
Ben Foden
Chris Ashton
Tom Croft
Ben Youngs

Wales;
Shane Williams
James Hook
Leigh Halfpenny

Ireland;
Brian O'Driscoll
Tommy Bowe
Sean O'Brien

Scotland;
Sean Lamont

Italy;
Sergio Parisse

NZ;
Dan Carter
Richie McCaw
Mils Muliaina
Carl Hayman

Oz;
Matt Giteau
Quade Cooper
James O'Connor
Kurtley Beale
Rocky Elsom

SA;
Brian Habana
Heinrich Brussow
Victor Matfield

Personally I don't think there should be ANY star ratings, they kinda screwed up the game with star rated guys being able to do pretty much what they wanted the whole time.

i think impact players should be different from 08, rather than being awesome all the time, you should be able to choose when to use their ability e.g 78th minute, quade cooper's ability is to put the game in slow mo so he can step easily and create something out of nothing.
my impact players are:
Aus
Q.Cooper
W.Genia
D.Pocock
K.Beale
J.O'Connor

NZ
D.Carter
SB.Williams
I.Dagg
R.Mccaw