• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why don't we just make our own rugby game

Balmer483

Academy Player
So Rugby Challenge 4 came out. It sucked. I was thinking lets leverage this network and other networks (rugby onslaught, rugby dump, rugby news or whatever) and start our own crowd funding thing to create a truly global rugby game.

Don't know the first things about gaming but how hard could it be if we raise the right amount of money and hire the best people?

Anyone else game? We could set up a separate thread, have fans complete statistics and give feedback. I'd say start at 1 million quid.

Make history

JB

@TRF_Olyy I think your the other programmer on this site do you want to start or should I about how hard this is?
Bloody about me ahha.

I get it is hard, I get this expensive. But it is in demand, we have a preexisting network of folk that would help quality control and testing,

Like if you were going to realistically do this, how would you do it?
Game doesn't need to have licencing for the first one. To successfully crowd fund we would need concept, some initial art and to market it properly.

There is the potential to make history here and capitalise on the demand within the rugby and wider gaming community.

Think positively. What steps would we need to take?

I don't think you understand the man hours and experience needed to create a good video game of this ilk. So I'm an embedded guy the project I'm currently working on is 20ish multi disciplinary team and has lasted 2 year of full time work.

You want a high quality video game so you need people with relevant experience so we'll need people familiar with engines such as Unreal and delivered AAA games. As were working from scratch I'd suspect it would take 3 years of full time work and you'd need a team of 50 (probably minimum). Even if you pay them okay you need 6million to pay them for their work. That's just your engineering team budget I'm probably low balling it by a huge amount myself.

Games cost huge amounts to make TLOU2 (which has massive benefits of prexisting infrastructure) cost nearly 100 million to make.

If you want to start games development you have think far smaller on the indie scale rather than thinking big and shooting the moon which is what this would be be.

TRF is in the credits for Rugby 2011, so technically we did all make(/contribute) to a rugby game.
Case closed.

But yeah, game development is...........a big task. Monumental, in fact.
It's not something you can just stumble into and to crowdsource it? Crazy amounts of money, and even then you only have to look at the number of kickstarts that go belly up

Edit:
1595947040024.png

Last edited:
sometimes I wonder what it would be like if EA had carried on with the rugby games.
and I cry.

Honestly World rugby should look at investing in a proper video game, like Pichot was suggesting.
Even if it's something like working out with the leagues to sell the licenses for bargain prices.

TRF is in the credits for Rugby 2011, so technically we did all make(/contribute) to a rugby game.
Case closed.

It's not something you can just stumble into and to crowdsource it? Crazy amounts of money, and even then you only have to look at the number of kickstarts that go belly up

Edit:
View attachment 8313
I just had a look at the doomed RWC 11 Game thread there and I miss the truly chaotic nature of the gaming forum here. It's why I joined as a bright eyed 15 year old. People just calling each other idiots left and right, flying into impotent rages and personally abusing the mods. Good times. You also seemed to be very fond of emojis back then Olyy....

Case closed.
I remember it well. It why I'm posting on this site. Can't remember how much input they actually took on.
So you are saying there is a chance?
What could a million quid make you? What do you reckon ground zero is? First thing we need to do. The largest kick starter for a game got 12 million. Rugby has a huge audience, I think we could scale this up.
I just had a look at the doomed RWC 11 Game thread there and I miss the truly chaotic nature of the gaming forum here. It's why I joined as a bright eyed 15 year old. People just calling each other idiots left and right, flying into impotent rages and personally abusing the mods. Good times. You also seemed to be very fond of emojis back then Olyy....
I was round then too, can't remember the name but the site had a real buzz to it
I don't think you understand the man hours and experience needed to create a good video game of this ilk. So I'm an embedded guy the project I'm currently working on is 20ish multi disciplinary team and has lasted 2 year of full time work.
You want a high quality video game so you need people with relevant experience so we'll need people familiar with engines such as Unreal and delivered AAA games. As were working from scratch I'd suspect it would take 3 years of full time work and you'd need a team of 50 (probably minimum). Even if you pay them okay you need 6million to pay them for their work. That's just your engineering team budget I'm probably low balling it by a huge amount myself.
I think you need stages. Not hot of press a triple a game but maybe just a really solid playable game, good mechanics, start fresh. What we are all missing is the career and nuanises of Where you getting the 6 million from? If it takes 3 years then we are just going to have to wait till 2023. Also massive unemployment may mean we are able to leverage students and grads that are struggling to find work experience

sometimes I wonder what it would be like if EA had carried on with the rugby games.
and I cry.

Honestly World rugby should look at investing in a proper video game, like Pichot was suggesting.
Even if it's something like working out with the leagues to sell the licenses for bargain prices.
Wonder how you leverage world rugby. Pichot was the main reason I was thinking of this

and I cry.
The same team that made the EA games made the other numbered games (11, 15) - presumably EA just thought they weren't worth the effort of advertising/publishing such a niche sport.
AFAIK they weren't involved in the development process at all, and we're just presented with the finished product to get into stores

Potential tho, 4 or 5 of us start the kick starter, make a fairly reasonably profitable game (They must be profitable or else how are they still churning out crap) and funnel the profits into the new game.

Say you get the career mechanics of RUM and spliced in a semi playable game you'd be laughing the way to the bank and a generation of happy gamers.

Why must we sit in silence about this? Lets take back rugby games

What about the developers of Rugby Champions? The game seems to play well. There should be more more talk of supporting their work, scaling up for something bigger and better.

Download unity or unreal and have a fiddle about and get back to us :p
How much does it cost? Need to factor this into our 10 million pound budget haha

Look I'm not a programmer but I work in marketing on behalf of Google, HPE and the top 18 tech companies, I reckon, if we could market this properly we have a gold mine?

How else would you secure investment.

Bunch of negative nillys haha - Lets say for example this would be a feasibility study. Where would you feasible start

What about the developers of Rugby Champions? The game seems to play well. There should be more more talk of supporting their work, scaling up for something bigger and better.
Was having a look at it there, exactly what I'm aiming for. Maybe not class graphic but game play is unreal. Like I'd play rugby 05 over rugby 15.

I think if we could get something going we could have something special

They do the Rugby League Live games, which are probably the best rugby games about.
They were also involved in RC3 but not sure to what extent - got a feeling they were involved in NH distribution rather than development.

How much does it cost?
They're both free!

They do the Rugby League Live games, which are probably the best rugby games about.
They were also involved in RC3 but not sure to what extent - got a feeling they were involved in NH distribution rather than development.

They're both free!
Would you think its impossible to do?

I think you need stages. Not hot of press a triple a game but maybe just a really solid playable game, good mechanics, start fresh. What we are all missing is the career and nuanises of Where you getting the 6 million from? If it takes 3 years then we are just going to have to wait till 2023. Also massive unemployment may mean we are able to leverage students and grads that are struggling to find work experience
I took my salary as a developer with 10+ years experience, decreased to 40k a year, multiple it by amount of developers, multiply it by amount of years. You know basic maths.

Starting salary when I started was 20k a year and was easily 24k a year for some (I was on that within 6 months) this was 10 years ago. Its also one of the most highly sorted markets in the world currently in terms of job protection people are begging for good software people. I can quite simply pick any country I want to emigrate to and sail through the Visa application. You ain't getting anyone to work on the cheap unless they think they'd urn the big bucks by doing so.

They're both free!

Rugby League Live developers were BigBen Interactive - agree those games are probably the best. However I was talking about Alternative Software.

I took my salary as a developer with 10+ years experience, decreased to 40k a year, multiple it by amount of developers, multiply it by amount of years. You know basic maths.

Starting salary when I started was 20k a year and was easily 24k a year for some (I was on that within 6 months) this was 10 years ago. Its also one of the most highly sorted markets in the world currently in terms of job protection people are begging for good software people. I can quite simply pick any country I want to emigrate to and sail through the Visa application. You ain't getting anyone to work on the cheap unless they think they'd urn the big bucks by doing so.
Basic maths if you are in the know haha
So how many years experience would you need to work on a game like this? Also could you do it with 25 people?
Say we start it, get the funding build it for a year. Is there potential to sell that to a larger company so it gets completed by them in the 3 year mark and still have the bones of the project?

If so it is closer to 1 million quid for staff. Once again the largest game funded on kickstarter was 12 million, and it was only a board game. Kickstarter is just one funding source. Would you work on a rugby game?

Latest posts