• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Will Wales ever get in a RWC final ?

Salmo

Academy Player
I would like Wales to get to one but I dont think it will ever happen.

Hello everyone, be kind, its my first post !

I think there best chance was probably 2019.

And they had a favourable draw this time and couldn't get past an unimpressive Argentina. Although this team paled compared to previous teams under the Gatland era.

But who knows, maybe in 15 years time they will have some sort of golden generation. I think a lot would have to go right for them to get all the way to a final

2011 was our genuine oportunity. When you think back to the side we had back then:

Gethin Jenkins, Adam Jones, AWJ, Warburton, Lydiate, Faletau, Phillips, Roberts, JD2, North, Shane, Halfpenny - arguably all in the prime of their careers (Shane aside, as his prime was a few years prior, but he was still one of the best at the time). Then you add Priestland who will never go down as a great, but he was on song for a brief couple of years there and got our backline moving like no-one else since.

Who knows, at present path in Wales is poor but doesn't mean another golden generation does not appear.
They are a nation that needs to relax rules on players playing outside of Wales as pool is small.
As a England fan I personally want to see a strong Wales limited to region is silly at the best.

Why not, you only have to have things go your way for two games in a row. A bit of luck and you're there.

It's unlikely, but definitely not impossible. A favourable draw, a bit of luck and a bit of grit took a very poor England side to within a couple of minutes of the final. Plenty of Welsh sides that have been a good deal better than that England team.

As others have already said, Wales are cutting their own throats with some dumb policies on eligibility. I imagine Gatland will go for a big overhaul with a lot of young players. If he gets it right, Wales will be weaker in the short term but will have plenty of scope to improve.

Why not, you only have to have things go your way for two games in a row. A bit of luck and you're there.
Yet somehow 20/20 of the finals spots so far have gone to the same 5 teams

Will Wales/Argentina/Scotland/Ireland ever get in a RWC final ?

OTOH, the only difference between 2nd place and 3rd place is the draw. Since Wales and Argentina have won bronze before (once each), they've shown it's possible. Just need to get drawn in the same SF as the 4th place team.
(Caveat: Wales' bronze was from when South Africa was banned. So maybe a little help from geopolitics is also their best bet for making a final 🙃 )

I thought 1987 and 2011 were Wales best chances but you never know.I didnt think this years Ab team would get in the final but they did.

No. There will always be a hard luck story somewhere…..

Of course they can. Who knows what their team, and everyone else, will look like in 4 years time let alone 8, 12, 16…. or what the draws will look like. Sorting out the domestic game would help maximise chances though.

Wales are quite good at playing versus 14. They won a 6N a couple of years back by playing each game 15v14.
Fat envelopes left in the ref's changing room might help?
:D

Turning would have, could have, should have into RWC glory is the story of Wales at the RWC. Boils down to chances at the end of the day.

Even the one just gone they had a good chance once they topped their pool because they had a damn good draw. Although I did think at the time their celebrations in front of their fans were a bit premature; showing a team just happy to have gotten to the QFs.

Only the big 5 have got to a final of a RWC in 10 editions. And teams are often cyclical in nature so this Wales team is just at the start of theirs. Takes a while to build up that experience in those key positions. I mean does anyone think Adam Beard will turn into world class?

Wales put 110% of their effort into trying to beat England. Until they remove this mindset and focus on actually wanted to beat SH teams then they'll never get anywhere. Their performance levels vs England are miles apart from some of the other performances.

Wales put 110% of their effort into trying to beat England. Until they remove this mindset and focus on actually wanted to beat SH teams then they'll never get anywhere. Their performance levels vs England are miles apart from some of the other performances.
Is that not even more true of Scotland?

Is that not even more true of Scotland?
To some degree but Scotland will never be that good whereas wales can and have been. Wales had a golden generation that might happen again at some point. That will never happen with Scotland.