• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2011 RWC - Any bolters for the All Blacks and Who will miss out?

Te Puke Thunder

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Will there be any bolters to make this All Black World Cup squad and who is likly to miss out on selection?

Young Matt Todd of the Crusaders has impressed but it will be hard to oust Daniel Braid as McCaw's backup.

My money is on Robert Fruean ...though I have mentioned in the past, he will likely miss out to make room for SBW as was the case on the 2010 EOYT when it was Fruean who truly deserved a spot.

There's going to be some dissapointed backs come the world cup, especially those playing outside the First Five position.

Ma' Nonu, Conrad Smith, SBW, Robert Fruean, Richard Kahui, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Hosea Gear, Rene Ranger, Israel Dagg, Joe Rokokoko, Cory Jane, Mils Muliaina, Isaia Toeava, Luke McAlister and Benson Stanley. So many to chose from, someone has to miss out.

Alby Matthewson? Hika Elliot? Slade, Donald or Cruden? Donnelly, Williams, Whitelock, Boric? Thompson, Messam, Braid, Vito or maybe Latimer?

I've chosen my 1st and 2nd XV's below. That would be my squad selection.

New Zealand 1st XV

1. Tony Woodcock
2. Kevin Mealamu
3. Owen Franks
4. Brad Thorn
5. Ali Williams
6. Jerome Kaino
7. Richie McCaw
8. Kieran Read
9. Piri Weepu
10. Dan Carter
11. Sitiveni Sivivatu
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Conrad Smith
14. Cory Jane
15. Mils Muliaina

New Zealand 2nd XV

1. Ben Franks
2. Andrew Hore
3. John Afoa
4. Tom Donnelly
5. Sam Whitelock
6. Adam Thompson
7. Daniel Braid
8. Liam Messam
9. Jimmy Cowan
10. Colin Slade
11. Hosea Gear
12. Richard Kahui / Sonny Bill Williams
13. Robert Fruean / Richard Kahui
14. Rene Ranger
15. Israel Dagg

Will there be any bolters to make this All Black World Cup squad and who is likly to miss out on selection?

Young Matt Todd of the Crusaders has impressed but it will be hard to oust Daniel Braid as McCaw's backup.

My money is on Robert Fruean ...though I have mentioned in the past, he will likely miss out to make room for SBW as was the case on the 2010 EOYT when it was Fruean who truly deserved a spot.

There's going to be some dissapointed backs come the world cup, especially those playing outside the First Five position.

Ma' Nonu, Conrad Smith, SBW, Robert Fruean, Richard Kahui, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Hosea Gear, Rene Ranger, Israel Dagg, Joe Rokokoko, Cory Jane, Mils Muliaina, Isaia Toeava, Luke McAlister and Benson Stanley. So many to chose from, someone has to miss out.

Alby Matthewson? Hika Elliot? Slade, Donald or Cruden? Donnelly, Williams, Whitelock, Boric? Thompson, Messam, Braid, Vito or maybe Latimer?

I've chosen my 1st and 2nd XV's below. That would be my squad selection.

New Zealand 1st XV

1. Tony Woodcock
2. Kevin Mealamu
3. Owen Franks
4. Brad Thorn
5. Ali Williams
6. Jerome Kaino
7. Richie McCaw
8. Kieran Read
9. Piri Weepu
10. Dan Carter
11. Sitiveni Sivivatu
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Conrad Smith
14. Cory Jane
15. Mils Muliaina

New Zealand 2nd XV

1. Ben Franks
2. Andrew Hore
3. John Afoa
4. Tom Donnelly
5. Sam Whitelock
6. Adam Thompson
7. Daniel Braid
8. Liam Messam
9. Jimmy Cowan
10. Colin Slade
11. Hosea Gear
12. Richard Kahui / Sonny Bill Williams
13. Robert Fruean / Richard Kahui
14. Rene Ranger
15. Israel Dagg

In terms of a 30-man squad, there will likely be 3 hookers, and 3 halfbacks selected, so 1 loose forward, and 1 outside back would likely have to drop out.

I agree that there are a huge number of options in some positions. I will have a think about a squad and post it later (though I suspect it would be very similar to yours), but one change I would definitely make would be to include the incumbent All Black right wing (Toeava).

I can't see many new All Blacks making the squad... I agree that Todd and Fruean are probably the two uncapped players likely to force there way into the squad.

In terms of a 30-man squad, there will likely be 3 hookers, and 3 halfbacks selected, so 1 loose forward, and 1 outside back would likely have to drop out.

I agree that there are a huge number of options in some positions. I will have a think about a squad and post it later (though I suspect it would be very similar to yours), but one change I would definitely make would be to include the incumbent All Black right wing (Toeava).

I can't see many new All Blacks making the squad... I agree that Todd and Fruean are probably the two uncapped players likely to force there way into the squad.

Your right, for me it would look like Ranger out for Matthewson and Thompson or Messam out for Elliot.

It's a bit early in the season for this because any bolters into the AB's, if there are any, are likely to be as the result of injuries, but having said that, if I was a player trying to force my way in, I'd be feeling a bit more comfortable if I was a hooker.

Keven Mealamu is currently the best in this position by a country mile. The selectors have shown loyalty to Andrew Hore, but he will have to show significant improvement from his end of year tour form, and one opportunity he's had so far in Super Rugby. When you factor in that the selectors may go with three Hookers, you'd have to rate your chances if you were a Hika Elliot

I reckon Mealamu, Hore and Elliott are the frontrunners for the hooking spots, with Corey Flynn first cab off the rank if there is injury

As for halfbacks, Weepu, Cowan and Ellis, with Mathewson as the back-up.

Personally, I don't think Ellis should be there, but Ted likes him, so he'll pick him unless he has a dramatic form collapse.

1st 5/8 Carter (of course) and then if it was my pick, I'd say Slade then McAlister with Cruden to back up. I wouldn't let Donald anywhere near the 10 jersey.

I can see Ellis having a nightmare off the bench in the quarters or semis and losing the Ab's the game...

Curious if Roks can still pull the attention of Henry when he starts scoring tries this Super rugby season.
Williams back in black at Lock will take a huge effort from him as he was out for nearly two years and I still have my doubts ( please prove me wrong) that he will not get another injury this year.

For the rest I fully agree.

Adam Thompson has a chance of being picked ahead of Daniel Braid, its gonna be really close with them

Colin Slade could miss out through lack of game time with his injury, maybe if Robbie Robinson plays well he could be a bolter, Henry did say he was a couple seasons away from all black selection last year.

i just really hope Fruean gets picked this time if he keeps up that form, and Rene Ranger has been playing great to

Last edited:
My choice of squad:

Props: Tony Woodcock, Ben Franks, Owen Franks, John Afoa
Hookers: Kevin Mealamu, Andrew Hore, Hika Elliot
Locks: Brad Thorn, Sam Whitelock, Chris Jack, Ali Williams
Loose Forwards: Jerome Kaino, Richie McCaw, Kieren Read, Daniel Braid, Adam Thompson
Halfbacks: Piri Weepu, Alby Mathewson, Jimmie Cowan
Fly Halfs: Daniel Carter, Luke McAlister, Aaron Cruden
Centres: Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Robert Fruean
Wingers: Hosea Gear, Joe Rokocoko, Cory Jane
Fullbacks: Mils Muliaina, Isaia Toeava

I'd say Sonny Bill Williams, Rene Ranger, Victor Vito, Matt Todd, Scott Waldrom, Aled de Melmanche, Israel Dagg, Sitivini Sivivatu, Colin Slade all could look just as good in this squad.

I hope Robbie Freuan never wears an All Black shirt

For the sake of every other team in the RWC

I reckon Mealamu, Hore and Elliott are the frontrunners for the hooking spots, with Corey Flynn first cab off the rank if there is injury

As for halfbacks, Weepu, Cowan and Ellis, with Mathewson as the back-up.

Personally, I don't think Ellis should be there, but Ted likes him, so he'll pick him unless he has a dramatic form collapse.

1st 5/8 Carter (of course) and then if it was my pick, I'd say Slade then McAlister with Cruden to back up. I wouldn't let Donald anywhere near the 10 jersey.

I fully agree with the Donald comment. He hasn't shown enough to prove that he's a genuine international.

My choice of squad:

Props: Tony Woodcock, Ben Franks, Owen Franks, John Afoa
Hookers: Kevin Mealamu, Andrew Hore, Hika Elliot
Locks: Brad Thorn, Sam Whitelock, Chris Jack, Ali Williams
Loose Forwards: Jerome Kaino, Richie McCaw, Kieren Read, Daniel Braid, Adam Thompson
Halfbacks: Piri Weepu, Alby Mathewson, Jimmie Cowan
Fly Halfs: Daniel Carter, Luke McAlister, Aaron Cruden
Centres: Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Robert Fruean
Wingers: Hosea Gear, Joe Rokocoko, Cory Jane
Fullbacks: Mils Muliaina, Isaia Toeava

I'd say Sonny Bill Williams, Rene Ranger, Victor Vito, Matt Todd, Scott Waldrom, Aled de Melmanche, Israel Dagg, Sitivini Sivivatu, Colin Slade all could look just as good in this squad.

Altho I'm a Chiefs fan, Aled his throwing is too poor to get him in the AB's side.

My Squad

Props: Franks x2, Woodcock, Aled De Malmanche
Hookers: Hore, Mealamu,
Locks: Donnelly, Boric, Thorn, Williams
Loose Forwards: McCaw, Read, Vito, Thomson, Waldrom, Kaino
Halfbacks: Leonard, Weepu, Cowan
First five: Carter, Slade
Midfield: Smith, Nonu, Kahui
Wingers: Rokocoko, Jane, Gear, Toeava
Fullbacks: Muliania, Dagg

Henry's Squad

Props: Franks, Woodcock, Tialata, Afoa
Hookers: Hore, Mealamu, Elliot
Locks: Donnelly, Whitelock, Thorn, Williams
Loose Forwards: McCaw, Read, Messam, Braid, Kaino
Halfbacks: Weepu, Cowan, Ellis
First five: Carter, Donald
Midfield: Smith, Nonu, SBW, Toeava
Wingers: Rokocoko, Jane, Gear
Fullbacks: Muliania, Dagg

The bold will definitely be in the squad while the italics will probably be in the squad.

I reckon Henry and co. have the majority of the squad already nailed down, but there are a few positions still available (e.g. McCaw's & Carters backups..).

If I was picking a 30-man squad I'd go for:

Props:
Owen Franks, Ben Franks, Woodcock, Afoa (I'd imagine that's who the AB selectors will go for as well. Crockett, MacIntosh, or even young Toby Smith could force there way into the squad if they have huge Super Rugby seasons. Can't see Tialata making his way back)
Hookers: Mealamu, Hore, Elliot (Best three hookers by a long way in my opinion - Elliot looked like he was more than ready for test rugby in his matches last year. The other three main contenders all have flaws e.g de Malmanche (can't throw straight), Rutledge (a midget), Flynn (just not very good anymore).
Locks: Thorn, Sam Whitelock, Boric, Donnelly (Ali Williams will make the squad if he gets close to his best, but that is yet to be seen. Others such as Eaton, Bekhuis, and Jack could also force their way in)
Loosies: Kaino, Thomson, McCaw, Todd, Read (Kaino, McCaw and Read are certainties, while Thomson would be a certainty in my squad. Not yet sure who the fifth loosie should be, but have picked Todd as he has a much better running game than Braid, which I think the AB's need. The other options would be to use Thomson as the primary backup to McCaw, in which case Vito and Messem would certainly come into contention)
Halfbacks: Cowan, Mathewson, Weepu (Best three by miles in my opinion, though the AB selectors may pick Ellis)
First-fives: Carter, Slade (Only one backup 10 is needed, as Weepu can cover this position very capably. My next choice would be MacAlister, followed by probably Delany)
Midfield: Nonu, SBW, Smith, Fruean (Hard choice for me, as I thought Kahui was outstanding for the AB's last year, but he will most likely be injured in any case. Have included Fruean as I wanted plenty of backup at centre, because I don't want to have Muliaina playing at 13 in the quarters/semis... Fruean still needs to work on his defense but he is near on unstoppable with the ball in hand. I've also been really impressed with Jarred Payne over the last year...)
Outside Backs: Gear, Dagg, Toeava, Jane, Muliaina (Probably the area with the most genuine contenders. I will probably change my opinion on these players every week, as I don't think there is much between them - if Sivivatu gets back to near his best form I would have him ahead of Dagg. Not convinced about Rokocoko - he's looked great during the last two weeks, but he looked great during last years Super 14 season, then followed it up with a unspectacular (though solid) international season. I'd be happy with any of Ranger, Rokocoko, Sivivatu, or Ben Smith in addition to the 5 I have selected, while Maitland, Guildford, Masaga, and Nanai-Williams could push for spots if they have outstanding Super rugby seasons).

Last edited:
Ok here goes this would be mine...

Props:Owen Franks,Ben Franks,Tony Woodcock,Jamie Mackintosh
Hookers:Mealamu,Hore,Elliot
Locks: Thorn,Whitelock,Donnelly,Boric
Loosies:McCaw,Kaino,Read,Thompson

Halfbacks:Cowan,Kerr-Barlow,Weepu
1st Five.Carter,Cruden
Midfield:Nonu,Smith,Freaun,Kahui
Outsidebacks: Dagg,Jane,Sivivatu,Mils,Toeava,Ranger

Arrgh this sucks i have no room for Joe Roks lol
Bolters Kerr-Barlow and Freaun
No room for SBW sorry as i like Kahui better.... But we all know he will be in there.

Last edited:
Ok here goes this would be mine...

Props:Owen Franks,Ben Franks,Tony Woodcock,Jamie Mackintosh
Hookers:Mealamu,Hore,Elliot
Locks: Thorn,Whitelock,Donnelly,Boric
Loosies:McCaw,Kaino,Read,Thompson

Halfbacks:Cowan,Kerr-Barlow,Weepu
1st Five.Carter,Cruden
Midfield:Nonu,Smith,Freaun,Kahui
Outsidebacks: Dagg,Jane,Sivivatu,Mils,Toeava,Ranger

Arrgh this sucks i have no room for Joe Roks lol
Bolters Kerr-Barlow and Freaun
No room for SBW sorry as i like Kahui better.... But we all know he will be in there.

Decent squad but you probably need another forward in there.

Renee Ranger had proved to be a contender, coming off the bench and changing up the game for the Blues. Although will it be enough to oust Rokocoko who has shown some promising form in recent games. As of the forwards I think the most influential choices would lie in the hookers, in terms of experience and reliability you can't go past Mealamu (the man is a warhorse.) and of course Richie McCaw is just an absolute monster. The AB squad for me personally should be all about consistency so of course Dan Carter will be there but as of the first five (scrum half) Weepu is a much more level headed and consistent player, where as Cowans style seems to be less compatible with Dan Carter.
Robbie Fruean might make his way into the squad with his hard running style but it's too early to tell. Whatever happens the squad has amazing depth and will hopefully retain the ***le.

Decent squad but you probably need another forward in there.

Like??? please don't say Braid I really like Vito or Whitelock,but i don't wanna drop any of my backs hehe

Last edited:
Adam Thomson looks like possible back-up to Ritchie He has been immense for the Highlanders, and IMO he is definitely putting his had up for a Black jersey.

The stats for his three matches so far make interesting reading.

Defense:
25 tackles, missed none. ..the blindside door is closed and bolted.

Attack: 44 Ball carries, 129 metres gained..... Nearly three metres per carry for a flanker (especially blindside) means he is getting over the gain line regularly.

The Bonus: Ruck/Maul Turnovers 9.... means he is becoming a pest to the opposition at the breakdown.

Latest posts