• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013/14 Pro12] Round 22

Yep, was at it. Terrible performance though the post match interview by Des Cahill may have been even worse.

Top stuff that interview. Not sure which bit was more cringey, when he asked Leo who the toughest player he's played with was and didn't get the answer he wanted so asked him who the next toughest was, or the bit where he asked them which player they'd want their daughters to marry. Out of this world.

Anyway, I know you've been pretty hesistant to blame O'Connor for some of our performances this year, but given the persistent nature of the thing, is it time to start asking serious questions of the coach? We've developed into a very unimaginative team. The ball doesn't go past the first receiver much these days, and I when it does we seem to attack with little conviction. We're very reliant on our tight game to see off opponents we should be putting away by 10 to 20 points. It's not pretty to say the least.

I guess from O'Connor's perspective he can point to the league table when questioned, but we don't look like a side that can trouble the boy teams in European rugby. I worry about us in the knockout stages; Glasgow, Ulster and Munster all have it within them to hurt us.

Anyway, I know you've been pretty hesistant to blame O'Connor for some of our performances this year, but given the persistent nature of the thing, is it time to start asking serious questions of the coach? We've developed into a very unimaginative team. The ball doesn't go past the first receiver much these days, and I when it does we seem to attack with little conviction. We're very reliant on our tight game to see off opponents we should be putting away by 10 to 20 points. It's not pretty to say the least.
That's a very fair point.

My views on Matt O'Connor flutter wildly. Leinster were never going to get another coach as good as Joe Schmidt. Schmidt's replacement had to make do without the top 10 in Europe and also Isa Nacewa. He also had to transition the captain out of the starting team and deal with an ageing midfield. Factoring all that in, the win/loss column is mightily impressive as is the development of Jack McGrath, Martin Moore, Devin Toner, Jordi Murphy, Rhys Ruddock, Dave Kearney and Noel Reid. Defence has also improved.

That said, constructive back play is non-existent. Leinster have become an awful side to watch despite a high number of try bonus points. As you say it's one out passing with little invention. It's low risk stuff for the most part. I'm of the opinion that management of the flyhalf position has been poor. Back either Ian Madigan or Jimmy Gopperth and stick with him. Constantly flipflopping between them in big games doesn't help continuity. If I was to grade O'Connor's performance, I'd give him a B-. Results have been as good as could be hoped for but the style isn't in keeping with what Leinster fans expect. He deserves another year but unless back play improves, I think he'll have a lot of people on his case next season, me included. From looking at other forums, that heavy criticism has started already.

For all slamming MOC the fact is ye are in transition and still finished top. I didn't see game as I was getting soaked in Thomond but the style might be poor but it's winning and may be what's required with change but agree with Snoop he has to pick a 10 and back him and get consistency