• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 6 Nations: Wales vs France (Round 3)

The welsh forwards certainly stepped it up a gear tonight, responding well to Gatlands challenge.

France were lost and clueless. This was defined by the three separate occasions when Picamoles had the ball, looked around not knowing where to go or who to pass to, then statically taking contact to no advantage. This is not the Picamoles I like to see.

French defence was too passive let Wales over the gain line at will.

Went too wide too early in attack.

Where was their close game? They played like they expected to hammer Wales.

Not the greatest spectacle, but a good win for Wales. Much better from the Welsh forwards who were on top throughout. If they played like that against Ireland, the game would have been much closer. Still a lot to work on, with North struggling to stamp his mark on the game from centre, and still too many errors for my liking, but a 21 point win over France is nothing to sniff at.

France were poor, very reminiscent of Wales against Ireland tbh. I think this was partly due to the pressure Wales put on them, especially up front. Picamoles was stopped at source 90% of the time, we were on top in the scrum (despite giving away a few pens), and our defence of the maul was very proactive this week. French passing along the backline was shocking for the most part, with the ball rarely put in front of the man, forcing the receiver to check.

Overall, confidence boosting win which might put us back in the ***le chase.

well all I can say is I'm utterly disappointed. The second half was reassuring. Wales continued with their 'blitz defense' and played it well and consistantly, but France looked a little less stuck-up on attack, some good movements and a lot of bad luck and very stupid moves. Basta missing the pass there 5m from the line, Papé throwing the ball into the crowd in stead of an open Bonneval on the extreme wing. Good breaks but then smt silly.....typically the bad French side. When France play bad, they're not utter shhit. They've got something going on but then there's this absolute constant of an impending mistake bound to occur eventually.

The scrums were no good, and I don't know if yellow to the Jenkins-Mas side was the thing to do...Domingo looked good against an on-form Adam Jones, Jones looked uncomfortable the whole way, and his post-scrum reactions were quite agitated.

Eh, if you're gonna lose a game, doesn't matter if it's by 5 or by 20. I'm not concerned because I knew the limits of this french side: penalty kicking is a problem without Parra or Michalak, we've got quality on attack but we're not the AB, our defense is good but then we'll commit stupid penalties so the score inflates, and we're still lacking chemistry. None of that was a mystery.
Given the first two matches, I'm still happy about France so far. They need a punch right in the face every once in a while, better now than when it's too late. We didn't deserve a Grand Slam this year anyways, in light of this performance; so an objective french fan can't feel too bad. I still feel we'll win in MF and Ireland at home is of course within our grasp.

A bump on the road...
about Wales: they played very intense Rugby but not of the finest quality. They were alright but not great. Sure we can take quite a bit from this match.

To me the big tell tale sign of France being clueless was when they were in their own 22 and told to use it and NOBODY even attempted to take the readily available ball that wasn't being contested. It's pretty much the most pointless penalty it is possible to give.

well all I can say is I'm utterly disappointed. The second half was reassuring. Wales continued with their 'blitz defense' and played it well and consistantly, but France looked a little less stuck-up on attack, some good movements and a lot of bad luck and very stupid moves. Basta missing the pass there 5m from the line, Papé throwing the ball into the crowd in stead of an open Bonneval on the extreme wing. Good breaks but then smt silly.....typically the bad French side. When France play bad, they're not utter shhit. They've got something going on but then there's this absolute constant of an impending mistake bound to occur eventually.

The scrums were no good, and I don't know if yellow to the Jenkins-Mas side was the thing to do...Domingo looked good against an on-form Adam Jones, Jones looked uncomfortable the whole way, and his post-scrum reactions were quite agitated.

Eh, if you're gonna lose a game, doesn't matter if it's by 5 or by 20. I'm not concerned because I knew the limits of this french side: penalty kicking is a problem without Parra or Michalak, we've got quality on attack but we're not the AB, our defense is good but then we'll commit stupid penalties so the score inflates, and we're still lacking chemistry. None of that was a mystery.
Given the first two matches, I'm still happy about France so far. They need a punch right in the face every once in a while, better now than when it's too late. We didn't deserve a Grand Slam this year anyways, in light of this performance; so an objective french fan can't feel too bad. I still feel we'll win in MF and Ireland at home is of course within our grasp.

A bump on the road...
about Wales: they played very intense Rugby but not of the finest quality. They were alright but not great. Sure we can take quite a bit from this match.

France can't take anything from this game sorry big ew

At times they looked positively clueless in attack . I didn't think they were great against England or Italy either although a massive step up from last year as you have already won 2 games ;)

France is France. They can be defeat by Tonga in the group stage and the next game they can beat All Blacks.

Andrew Mehrtens quote: "The French are predictably unpredictable".

The BBC commentators repeatedly said that France looked great on turnover ball vs England and Italy, and that's where more of their points came from. Give them a structured gameplan and they had nothing to offer.
Wales made few mistakes tonight, couple that with France having an off day and France were just not at the ballpark.

To me the big tell tale sign of France being clueless was when they were in their own 22 and told to use it and NOBODY even attempted to take the readily available ball that wasn't being contested. It's pretty much the most pointless penalty it is possible to give.

Oh absolutely. France has almost entirely, literally beaten England and Italy off pure talent. We're constantly looking for individual matchups, the personal exploit, hero ball. And we actually manage some nice plays off that, solely because of the talent.
I'm not in the right place to say something like the following because I'm French myself, but here goes still: if France could be coached by a real hard man with some simple but CLEAR tactics to follow, I'm not going to say they'd be magical but they'd really be a force to be reckoned with, that much is clear.
Just look at the dramatic change Ireland's gone through: organized, structured, and consistent the whole 80min (since the coaching change)

A guy like Doussain playing a fairly shhitty first half probably gets spoken to by Saint-André at HT in the locker room like: "listen, you were too slow, you're gonna have to up your game....". That's it. Gatland provokes his players, he's a father figure, authority personified, the patriarch, the mafia boss...he threatens to not play his guys if they screw up.

If you watch the last few games, that's ALL we do. Individual solutions, only the defense has chemistry. My bet right now is we're actually going to win the next two the same way. Almost purely off raw talent....

Look at England: anytime somebody makes a World XV or even a 6N XV, they've got 1 guy maybe 2 appearing on the list. And they're the best side in Europe statistically since the Lancaster era.

eeeeehhhh....................*siiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhhhh*

Big Ewis I'm blaming this one you! You f**cking jinx us every time!!! You are literally like " we're so definitely without a doubt home win! France on paper Bla Bla Bla! Power and mass yada yada yada! Our amazing depth such and such like!" You are a one man jinx machine! Just be humble when we lose and happy when we win and stop cursing us!!

140221114935312392.png

It went the way I thought but even more extreme. France - poorly coached but in that first half they made way too many basic errors which lost them the game. Wales looked comfortable after that.

Well done Wales in beating a well below par France.

That was the worst first half I have ever seen the French play, they are such a frustrating side. Capable of incomprehensible brilliance and utter ****e.

As others have said from this game I'm not sure how good Wales are.

Jake Ball did very well.

Big Ewis I'm blaming this one you! You f**cking jinx us every time!!! You are literally like " we're so definitely without a doubt home win! France on paper Bla Bla Bla! Power and mass yada yada yada! Our amazing depth such and such like!" You are a one man jinx machine! Just be humble when we lose and happy when we win and stop cursing us!! 

I'm sorry my dear compatriot, the French Rugby curse (and French curse, full stop !) has a history far, far...FAR beyond what I could possibly influence in my wildest dreams. And I'm not one to show off in victory.

And did you see how Gatland ball worked on us today ? Mass. Jamie Roberts makes a big break in our 22, Warburton try. Mass. Lauret can't carry with his 95kgs, gets sent back *every single time*. Mass. Their freaking wingers (Cuthbert) and centers were tackling our giant no.8, Picamoles. Mass. The list goes on and on and on...even the scrum could be partially pointed at.

As a neutral, the commentary on BBC Wales is terribly one sided and biased.

As a neutral, the commentary on BBC Wales is terribly one sided and biased.

Well it was three Welshmen. And France isn't part of Britain, so is unlikely to have a large proportion of Aunty Beeb's coverage.

- First time Wales beats France three times in a row since...70-72.
- France hasn't beaten Wales since the infamous 2011 semi-final.
- France hasn't scored a try over Wales since the 2011 6N match in Paris, so not a single try in the last 4 matches.

We just don't fare well against them. Even in the scrum, usually our strength over everybody, we just have a problem with this late-Gatland-era Wales side.

Well it was three Welshmen. And France isn't part of Britain, so is unlikely to have a large proportion of Aunty Beeb's coverage.

It was also broadcast to neutral England, Scotland and Ireland.

Latest posts