Georgia - 5 pts (23)
Tonga - 5 pts (-1)
Hong Kong - 0 pts (-60)

Pool B
Japan - 7 pts (1)
Namibia - 6 pts (6)
Uruguay - 6 pts (5)
Canada - 2 pts (-12)

What a disaster this tournament has been for Canada.

Yeah hard to argue that, despite the caveats that Rugger and I disscussed earlier in the thread this has been a major dissapointment. Credit to Uruguay and Namibia who are passionate, plucky sides but Canada should be winning these games.

Unmitigated disaster for Canada continues as Japan spanks us 37-12. 7th place playoff ahead and it's prety much a must win for this group vs. Hong Kong. What a disaster, obviously as Rugger and to a lesser extent I said earlier there are caveats that Canada and the United States have to deal with due to the timing and structure of this event but these results have been totally unacceptable.

Hard to see the coach's staying on after this and a few of these guys have probably really sunk their names down the national team selectors depth charts.

Edit: If we lose to Hong Kong we get relegated to the "B" level next year, it's a must win I think for a lot of people involved.

Last edited:
Georgia 21-8 Hong Kong
USA 22-28 Tonga
Uruguay 16-13 Namibia
Canada 12-37 Japan

Pool A
Tonga - 10 pts (5)
USA - 10 pts (32)
Georgia - 9 pts (36)
Hong Kong - 0 pts (-73)

Pool B
Japan - 12 pts (26)
Uruguay - 10 pts (8)
Namibia - 7 pts (3)
Canada - 2 pts (-37)

FINAL ROUND FIXTURES, APRIL 19
7th place: Hong Kong-Canada
5th place: Georgia-Namibia
3rd place: USA-Uruguay
1st place: Tonga-Japan

Can't say I'm not surprised USA stumbled against Tonga, they haven't been dominating teams. Certainly a good turn around from Tonga after getting beat down by Georgia on match day 1. Had Georgia gotten a bonus point vs. HK they would've been playing for 1st so tough draw for them to fall short. Disappointing to not see the US have a shot at going back up, but is it really worth getting beat down by 50-60-110 pts for a couple of weeks had they gone back up? The US going up may not be the best thing for the program unless they were guaranteed to play in a window that gets them every best player.

Last edited:
Very interesting results, junior teams tend to be so inconsistent.

A Tonga vs Japan final... Congratulations to both teams, I didn't see this one coming.

The Georgian fever strikes again -_- we can beat any team with couple of points but we can never "trash" any team due to our pay style and indiscipline. Gosh so close, they probably thought USA would win and were not as motivated.. GOOD! hope they learn their lesson.

Can't say I'm not surprised USA stumbled against Tonga, they haven't been dominating teams. Certainly a good turn around from Tonga after getting beat down by Georgia on match day 1. Had Georgia gotten a bonus point vs. HK they would've been playing for 1st so tough draw for them to fall short. Disappointing to not see the US have a shot at going back up, but is it really worth getting beat down by 50-60-110 pts for a couple of weeks had they gone back up? The US going up may not be the best thing for the program unless they were guaranteed to play in a window that gets them every best player.

I'm not shocked they lost either, but it's pretty disappointing to give up the bonus point win to them when we hadn't allowed a single try in the first two matches.

I disagree about going up though. The core of this team returns next year, including the props, the halfbacks and the openside. Part of the problem with the JWC team last year was they had the deadly combo of an inferior team with funding cuts. Next year's team should be substantially better than this year's IMO.

I'm not shocked they lost either, but it's pretty disappointing to give up the bonus point win to them when we hadn't allowed a single try in the first two matches.

I disagree about going up though. The core of this team returns next year, including the props, the halfbacks and the openside. Part of the problem with the JWC team last year was they had the deadly combo of an inferior team with funding cuts. Next year's team should be substantially better than this year's IMO.

Mate, FIRA forum down for you?

Really funny, Rugby Canada has been almost silent this entire tournament on the teams performance. They haven't posted one update to the Facebook page concerning the teams performance and they haven't really posted any updates to the Rugby Canada webpage where they normally flood the page with interviews, etc... during these types of tournaments. I am wondering if Rugby Canada is trying to do a little damage control here?

The Women's result tonight will get all the focus instead....it already is on twitter, they'll probably stick the Junior's further down the news page especially if they can actually beat Hong Kong.

The Women's result tonight will get all the focus instead....it already is on twitter, they'll probably stick the Junior's further down the news page especially if they can actually beat Hong Kong.

Hong Kong will settle for the final place :)

Latest posts