• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Six Nations: Ireland vs Wales (Round 2)

On the other hand, the big worry from our point of view is that our players don't get distracted by the sheer masculinity of Jamie Roberts jawline. If they do it could lead to a rout!

Wales' blitz defence, utilizing a sniper on 13, has been a feature of our game since Gatland took over six years ago. However, I feel now may be the time at which we need to adapt it slightly after seeing the Irish team. If Gordon D'Arcy still has his magnificent beard, the best tactic would be have two players marking D'Arcy, plus an extra twelve marking his beard. Especially given the relatively small threat to be found elsewhere in the Irish midfield. If we can rely on Roberts, Warburton or Lydiate to take our D'Arcy before the sheer majesty of his beard blows the side away (Much as like happened to the All Blacks for sixty minutes before they worked out the best way to deal with it), maybe we have a chance of stopping this Irish side.

In attack, we should look to keep it tight, only going wide once the beard is drawn into a ruck. However, again, there is no significant threat to look out for Irish backs, so we can probably just give the ball to Big George once D'Arcy and his fuzz are gone and we'll score automatically.

You're not going to like Andrew Trimble's new look I'm afraid.

BfzXnmzIEAAQcSr.jpg

Actually it's the entire backline...

Bfy9pf6CUAArNRt.jpg

Exactly. Fire.

Alun Wyn needs to re-grow his enormous beard he grew once whilst he was out injured for months. That was a spectacular beard. I don't think our team understand the importance of a good beard in the game of rugby.

:lol: look at Healy with a beard. I'm sorry for the cliché but he looks so Leprechaun-y. Can totally see him with a super high pitched mega-heavy Irish accent running around hopping around from tree to tree.

(nout a doble)

uhm, OK, have made up my mind. Let's look at the lineups here:

Ireland: 15 Rob Kearney, 14 Andrew Trimble, 13 Brian O'Driscoll, 12 Gordon D'Arcy, 11 Dave Kearney, 10 Johnny Sexton, 9 Conor Murray, 8 Jamie Heaslip, 7 Chris Henry, 6 Peter O'Mahony, 5 Paul O'Connell (c), 4 Devin Toner, 3 Mike Ross, 2 Rory Best, 1 Cian Healy.
Replacements: 16 Sean Cronin, 17 Jack McGrath, 18 Martin Moore, 19 Dan Tuohy, 20 Tommy O'Donnell, 21 Isaac Boss, 22 Paddy Jackson, 23 Fergus McFadden.

Wales: 15 Leigh Halfpenny, 14 Alex Cuthbert, 13 Scott Williams, 12 Jamie Roberts, 11 George North, 10 Rhys Priestland, 9 Mike Phillips, 8 Taulupe Faletau, 7 Sam Warburton, 6 Dan Lydiate, 5 Alun-Wyn Jones (c), 4 Andrew Coombs, 3 Adam Jones, 2 Richard Hibbard, 1 Gethin Jenkins.
Replacements: 16 Ken Owens, 17 Paul James, 18 Rhodri Jones, 19 Jake Ball, 20 Justin Tipuric, 21 Rhys Webb, 22 James Hook, 23 Liam Williams.

My simple observations:
Ireland are a bit like France. When they're expected to dominate they suck. Last year we both sucked, esp. in the 6N finishing 5th and 6th, and since the big game against NZ in Nov I feel Ireland are focused and ready to battle, for real. That home blowout against the Aussies was like a trigger, like, enough of this crap. I don't think Wales have it in them to win it 3 times in a row, it's exhausting mentally to fight for consecutive ***les and based on very recent form, Ireland are in rhythm, Wales not so much. Wales are very good, esp against their European rivals, but I think 2014 is the year their streak stops, and I believe it stops here, in Dublin.
Considering Ireland should've won the 2012 one if not for a disastrous give-away at the end against Wales, and looking at what happened last year, if there's any team in the 6N that is Wales' cryptonite it's clearly Ireland, and they're at home, and on form...
I see Ireland still contending mid-way through the tournament. It seems like we'll have a bit of a 2007 flashback with France and Ireland both on form and fighting for the ***le, but I may be talking a little fast for France.

Ireland by 5.

... Anyway I think D'arcy's being in better form recently while Marshall hasn't been as good as I'd have liked, it's not entirely his fault though given how Anscombe seems to just want him to run into things really fast...

Same way Schmidt used him. I think people are expecting more than they should from Marshall and not recognising just how big he has been in defence and at the breakdown and how regularly he has been getting over the gameline. People want to see him distributing and stepping more, I think, but that's not what his coaches want. He'll do it when it's on, but when it isn't, he will simply be physical. He's doing that very well.

Speaking of which, he's just come on for Ulster...

Been honest, D'Arcy had magical game vs New Zealand but there's little between both but I think as was highlighted by Murray Kinsella Marshall is loosing out for a few issues that were more BODs fault than his last week. BOD was never going to be dropped but 1 had to swap out

Same way Schmidt used him. I think people are expecting more than they should from Marshall and not recognising just how big he has been in defence and at the breakdown and how regularly he has been getting over the gameline. People want to see him distributing and stepping more, I think, but that's not what his coaches want. He'll do it when it's on, but when it isn't, he will simply be physical. He's doing that very well.

Speaking of which, he's just come on for Ulster...

Yes he's been acting under instructions but what he's being doing isn't as good as what D'arcy can do in that role and that's why he's starting.

Yes he's been acting under instructions but what he's being doing isn't as good as what D'arcy can do in that role and that's why he's starting.

Cannot agree with you in the slightest there. Marshall is the more powerful man and it shows and moreover, I find it strange you're now flagging D'Arcy's superiority in this area, when you originally posted in agreement with an article that highlighted how well Marshall had done in this area and says "D'Arcy simply doesn't have the same power as Marshall anymore, so it's an interesting conundrum for Schmidt."

I'm trying to attack D'Arcy's selection here. I'm simply highlighting that Marshall did well and the criticism he's getting is unwarranted. D'Arcy is in because he is experienced, because he has the understanding with the others and because Marshall missed a lot of training after that stint. Fair enough. Here's hoping D'Arcy and Ireland do well (sorry Taffs). But there's no need to be having a cut at Marshall to justify it and this now whiffs a little of changing goalposts.

Cannot agree with you in the slightest there. Marshall is the more powerful man and it shows and moreover, I find it strange you're now flagging D'Arcy's superiority in this area, when you originally posted in agreement with an article that highlighted how well Marshall had done in this area and says "D'Arcy simply doesn't have the same power as Marshall anymore, so it's an interesting conundrum for Schmidt."

I'm trying to attack D'Arcy's selection here. I'm simply highlighting that Marshall did well and the criticism he's getting is unwarranted. D'Arcy is in because he is experienced, because he has the understanding with the others and because Marshall missed a lot of training after that stint. Fair enough. Here's hoping D'Arcy and Ireland do well (sorry Taffs). But there's no need to be having a cut at Marshall to justify it and this now whiffs a little of changing goalposts.

Criticism? Having a cut? How on earth are you getting that idea? I've said he's simply hasn't been doing his job as good as D'arcy can, that's hardly insulting. Yeah Marshall is clearly more powerful he's got 7 kg on him. That doesn't mean his defense and breakdown work is better. As I've said I feel Marshall goes to high for my liking especially coming up against Roberts where the more chop tackling D'arcy comes into his own. I really like Marshall I just think D'arcy is more suited for this match, Marshall will play at least one other match and he deserves to.

I don't know coherent I am at the moment because I have suffering from a bad throat/chest infection, but I cannot see any over the top criticism from me about Marshall or what moving of the goalposts I'm doing

I'm a bit disappointed that we wont have an open game like we're used to from these two sides because to put it scientifically it is windy as **** in Dublin at the moment!

Chris Henry and Peter O'Mahoney need big games today, I'm confident in Henry, O'Mahoney not so much!

Really up for this, cannot wait until kick off, partly so we can stop all this inane talk about "grudge matches" and the Lions selection. Its going to be such a close game, I fully expect to be a nervous (possibly drunk) wreck come final whistle

Latest posts