• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Six Nations: Ireland vs Wales (Round 2)

weather conditions not ideal it seems today in Dublin...it seems it just about will not rain during the match, but only just.

You Welshies are f**ked.

2 magpies on patrol in the back garden :lol:

I'm a bit disappointed that we wont have an open game like we're used to from these two sides because to put it scientifically it is windy as **** in Dublin at the moment!

Chris Henry and Peter O'Mahoney need big games today, I'm confident in Henry, O'Mahoney not so much!

Seen as POM was probably best of back row last week should help calm that. ;)
As for Irelands plan we were never going to be opening up I think this was always a forwards game with D'Arcy used to punch holes in centre and then if a gap comes we take it but even Schmidt knows our back 3 are massively inferior to theres

Ireland need both Henry and POM to compete at that breakdown. They may not be ball carriers like SOB but they can grunt and steal in the contact areas. Gonna be key today.

Seen as POM was probably best of back row last week should help calm that. ;)
As for Irelands plan we were never going to be opening up I think this was always a forwards game with D'Arcy used to punch holes in centre and then if a gap comes we take it but even Schmidt knows our back 3 are massively inferior to theres

That's why I'm worried, he's not the most consistent player out there!

They have far superior attacking wings but Trimble and Kearney should be able to handle them and we have the better fullback. (I am currently waiting for the nearest Welsh person to attempt to kill me)

well the Welsh backs are Wales' strength against most teams, so it's a given Ireland will have their hands full defending them. Man, Ireland will sorely miss SOB at the breakdown today...and the half-back combination will be interesting to observe today, Ireland with the better one on paper. Might just make the difference.

3 more hours to go. This is going to be a massive clash, shiieeeet.

That's why I'm worried, he's not the most consistent player out there!

They have far superior attacking wings but Trimble and Kearney should be able to handle them and we have the better fullback. (I am currently waiting for the nearest Welsh person to attempt to kill me)

As a unit our back 3 are nowhere near them. And maybe Kearney and Trimble will handle them it remains to be seen but we are wasting our time trying to compete out wide.
Regards POM he's been 1 of Munsters most consistent players this season. So I wouldn't worry.
My biggest worry is our centres and it a legitimate concern that yes they have the understanding but Father Time has caught up with BOD and things he was super at some are just not as effective now and they will be tested today. Also the positional game of our back 3 will be an area that will be crucial today

I'd say if the pitch is wet and the weather stays crap the advantage leans further more towards Ireland. Our defence seems to be well drilled and our maul is a weapon. I can't really see the forwards being dominated. Do well there and we will have an advantage. Also we have the better half back pairing. If the weather ends up being decent enough then it could be a difficult day tackling the much larger Welsh backs. We're lacking today in danger men like Fitzgerald, Earls, Bowe and SOB etc so we will need a smart game. But yeah I'd like to us use the maul when it's on.

Why would we want to keep it in the forwards? If the weather's bad is suits Wales more with their size and power. We showed last year and Australia have shown it numerous times that to beat Wales you have to keep changing the point of attack. We would play as wide as possible wither giving us an overlap our bringing there big slow to turn wingers into the line before putting in ball behind them and attack a relatively short predictable lineout with PO'M at the front and PO'C + Toner covering the middle. Thank God it is clearing up and the Aviva should be somewhat sheltered.

Why would we want to keep it in the forwards? If the weather's bad is suits Wales more with their size and power. We showed last year and Australia have shown it numerous times that to beat Wales you have to keep changing the point of attack. We would play as wide as possible wither giving us an overlap our bringing there big slow to turn wingers into the line before putting in ball behind them and attack a relatively short predictable lineout with PO'M at the front and PO'C + Toner covering the middle. Thank God it is clearing up and the Aviva should be somewhat sheltered.

A) Rain is expected to lash down and we showed last week our skills aren't immaculate yet
B) We don't have pace in our back line which is arguably 1 of slowest around
C) We don't have the skill that Aus have in backs

A) Rain is expected to lash down and we showed last week our skills aren't immaculate yet
B) We don't have pace in our back line which is arguably 1 of slowest around
C) We don't have the skill that Aus have in backs

The rain isn't expected to lash for the actual match and it's actually fairly sunny in Dublin at the moment.

The pace of the backs doesn't mean we can't play a wide gameplan it's about stretching the Welsh defense thus creating holes and mismatches and the back three actually do have decent pace.

A three quarter line of Sexton-Darcy-BO'D has plenty of skill.

Ireland generally play **** in wet weather and sticking it up the jumper doesn't suit us in a pack where only Healy is the only one suited to it.

but....but.....I want it to start NOW !!! :cryy: :cryy:
I want some Rugby !....SOME RUGBY !!!! God, what a tease !! They should have the games start in the morning, so then we can check out our Top 14 and Prem and co. too...

My main concern today is about Ireland's defensive system. Joe Schmidt's Leinster teams tended to defend very narrow in the knowwledge that most European teams can't pass the ball for *****. The Ospreys could and had Leinster's number. Wales are the only 6 Nations teams who know how to pass the ball competently.

That said, Ireland by 20 points!

How is he getting up, hopefully not playing on when he shouldn't.

Is it just me or was there no arms in the tackle?

North to centre? Surprised it's not Hook on.

EDIT: Sexton making a fe errors with his kicking game so far.

Last edited:
How is he getting up, hopefully not playing on when he shouldn't.

Is it just me or was there no arms in the tackle?

Felt it was very cynical, probably deserved what happened to his shoulder.

Edit: I don't wish any player to be injured, but what goes around comes around I guess.

Latest posts