• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Warm Up Match: Wales vs Italy (05/09/15)

Who will be their main goal kicker now and what are their percentages like?

Dan Biggar without a doubt - doesn't quite have Halfpenny's range but he rarely misses anything within 40m. Not sure on the exact percentages but he's very, very good. Only thing is he does this kinda funny shuffle thing as he winds up. The Biggar wiggle. Or Biggle, perhaps!

Elsewhere, if Gareth Anscombe or James Hook came back into the squad then they are both reliable goalkickers too, just not on Biggar and Halfpenny's level.

Biggar would easily be regarded as one of the best goalkickers in the world if he weren't behind arguably the best kicker in the world in Halfpenny.

The WRU have just confirmed Halfpenny will miss the entire tournament with an ACL injury. He could be out for up to 6 months according to reports in the French media. :(

As compensation, the WRU are now offering the entire Welsh public a supply of Brains on tap to get us all through the next couple of months

its very bizzare, its like he suddnely develops a twitch haha. but hes a world class kicker in his own right, just doenst have the range as you mentioned.

- - - Updated - - -

Biggar would easily be regarded as one of the best goalkickers in the world if he weren't behind arguably the best kicker in the world in Halfpenny.

argumentally speaking of course

Not world class as he doesn't have the length. Very much like Paterson for Scotland (maybe with a tad more distance). Other than that, he rarely misses so I don't think you'll miss halfpenny too much.

When you kick like Morne Steyn you hit World Class IMO.. Or Nicky Robinson the way he's going ;)

Defensively Wales will struggle now I think in terms of positioning . Teams already use tactical kicking against Wales because of Cuthbert and Norths obvious faults there . They will struggle even more now 1/2p is injured . Liam Williams is also just back from injury obviously . Has anything been released about Webb ?

Last edited:
Defensively Wales will struggle now I think. Teams already use tactical kicking against Wales because of Cuthbert and Norths obvious faults there . They will struggle even more now 1/2p is injured . Liam Williams is also just back from injury obviously . Has anything been released about Webb ?

No news on Webb yet as far as I can see. WRU said they will release more info soon. But I hold no hope for him tbh. At first I thought Halfpenny had more of a chance of recovering as his injury didn't look as bad on the replays. Webb's injury looked like a terrible long-term one, and the WRU have already confirmed he damaged his knee as well as ankle.

Not world class as he doesn't have the length. Very much like Paterson for Scotland (maybe with a tad more distance). Other than that, he rarely misses so I don't think you'll miss halfpenny too much.

although we've not seen him kick from that range YET im willing to bet alot of his training over the next few weeks will be long range kicking in case we do get the opportunity. maybe not 'world class' but hes certainly up there somewhere

That's rubbish.

I'd agree with Tommy to be honest . He's a great kicker but the term world class gets thrown around a little easy for me . He's largely untested under pressure at international level . Just out of interest would you label Owen Farrell a world class kicker ?

although we've not seen him kick from that range YET im willing to bet alot of his training over the next few weeks will be long range kicking in case we do get the opportunity. maybe not 'world class' but hes certainly up there somewhere

I don't doubt that at all. Like I said, I don't feel wales will miss him too much. If Liam Williams comes into the team like he hasn't been out injured Wales will be a tad more dangerous on the counter. Exciting prospect.

Maverick, I can't think of many world class kickers at the moment. Obviously halfpenny is world class, but I don't think many come close to him at the moment.

I don't doubt that at all. Like I said, I don't feel wales will miss him too much. If Liam Williams comes into the team like he hasn't been out injured Wales will be a tad more dangerous on the counter. Exciting prospect.

Maverick, I can't think of many world class kickers at the moment. Obviously halfpenny is world class, but I don't think many come close to him at the moment.

would be a nice little thread idea if someone can colate all the teams kicking stats, for the kickers that will be playing at the world cup. it must be out there somewhere

Surprised still nothing about Webb looked worse than halfpenny. Maybe they sent him to Fiji and got some magic leaves

Biggar is a superb goal kicker. Admittedly, hasn't had the chance to show it properly at international level (did well enough on the SA tour in 2014) has shown it loads for the Ospreys. One that comes to mind is him nailing a couple of late, high pressure touch line conversions to win the Pro 12 away to Leinster. Might not be international, but not to be sniffed at!

Anywho, not particularly optimistic about our chances after this. Lost 3 players now who are key to the game plan.

JD2 first - lose our tried and tested midfield partnership.

Halfpenny, while a massive blow, can probabaly be covered between Williams and Biggar - but it's hard to be positive when Williams is only just coming back from injury... Plus the utterly useless Cuthbert will now almost certainly start. Just bloody great.

Webb is just huge. Form player in Wales, and a key source of tries... Gareth Davies has admittedly been just as prolific at club level as Webb, but no idea if we can expect him to do the same at international level. Praying Phillips doesn't jump his way into the starting spot... Lloyd Williams does add speed to play at least.

I can see a horrible situation where we rush Liam Williams back, and he gets injured immediately and we have to call up bloody Hook to play 15. My worst nightmare however, would be Cuthbert being forced back there...

Just to add to the Biggar appreciation. Quality goal kicker, and I don't think his distance is too shabby - certainly not a Paterson!

For anyone who is panicking about Webb, here is a few highlights from the 13/14 season of Davies. I know these highlights don't show his full game, but they do illustrate how similar he is in playing style to Webb. And yes, he is yet to prove himself at international level, but he was showing as much promise as Webb before he got injured.

Last edited by a moderator:

Last seasons pro 12 kicking stats % -:
1 Ian Madigan Leinster 87.04
2 Dan Biggar Ospreys 86.96
3 Ian Humphreys Ulster 84.62
4 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne Edinburgh 82.93
5 Steve Shingler Scarlets 82.14
6 Peter Horne Glasgow Warrior 80.00

He's got decent range, not quite halfpenny of Morne Steyn, but he's reliable up to around the half way line.

I know he's relatively untested at international level, but he's been showing remarkable consistency for the O's for quite a few years now.

More to another point will Boudjellal be tearing up Halfpennys Toulon contract as we speak now he's out for 6 months? Who will Halfpenny go to next?

Latest posts