• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Six Nations] England vs Scotland (Round 4)

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
it's gutting that scotland cannot seem to learn from their mistakes, it was the same under Andy Robinson, we looked like we were improving for a couple of games (Even if we still lost) and then we drag ourselves down n take a backward step in the next game. I'm hoping Vern Cotter can find a way to correct that, because progress is all well and good but counts for very little unless you're winning matches.
Our backline is as talented and potent as it has been in a long time, but it's not consistent enough in clinical finishing.
Our pack looks rather light without Richie Gray there, would put jim hamilton in for swinson to add a bit more bulk in the engine room.
we need to get Dave Denton and Adam Ashe back in the side on saturday. They both add skill and ball carrying ability that you'd want in any side from the backrow. Johnnie Beattie hasn't done enough to warrant keeping his place, Rob Harley makes his tackles but has been lacking impact on the ball carrying side, Blair Cowan does the typical 7 job, but he gets caught offside or isolated once too often, needs to be more streetwise.
i think the game against england will be closer than people think, but im still going for an english win sadly

it's gutting that scotland cannot seem to learn from their mistakes, it was the same under Andy Robinson, we looked like we were improving for a couple of games (Even if we still lost) and then we drag ourselves down n take a backward step in the next game. I'm hoping Vern Cotter can find a way to correct that, because progress is all well and good but counts for very little unless you're winning matches.
Our backline is as talented and potent as it has been in a long time, but it's not consistent enough in clinical finishing.
Our pack looks rather light without Richie Gray there, would put jim hamilton in for swinson to add a bit more bulk in the engine room.
we need to get Dave Denton and Adam Ashe back in the side on saturday. They both add skill and ball carrying ability that you'd want in any side from the backrow. Johnnie Beattie hasn't done enough to warrant keeping his place, Rob Harley makes his tackles but has been lacking impact on the ball carrying side, Blair Cowan does the typical 7 job, but he gets caught offside or isolated once too often, needs to be more streetwise.
i think the game against england will be closer than people think, but im still going for an english win sadly

Your frustration is understandable but, as I've said elsewhere, I think it's important to remember how young and unsettled this Scotland squad is.
Teams under new management generally carry high expectations on their shoulders for a few years before they start to deliver. Even England under Lancaster, 2 1/2 years ahead of you guys in terms of squad development, haven't managed to win anything of note (Triple crown was nice, though)

On top of this I'm just thinking of all the Glasgow and Edinburgh players who have been capped by Scotland in the last few years...it's really quite a few. It's going to be longer before Cotter can claim to know his best side. As a Wasps fan, I can only imagine that Ruaridh Jackson is a massive loss for you - there's also no Duncan Weir, Fin Russell, and potentially now Peter Horne. I don't know Scottish rugby nearly well enough to comment on how that leaves you but I would imagine that expectations will have to be managed...and limited.
A top player in Ross Rennie has recently had to retire through injury...you're missing Fusaro just as he was starting to accrue a few caps, kelly Brown is out of the reckoning it seems...I'm not sure whether Blair Cowan can really carry all those expectations just yet.
Maitland and Visser are big losses right now, too..

Ashe, no.

isn't seymour injured?
No, Seymour was playing against italy and is available for this game. But Ashe i feel might be underrated abit here but i Understand, but what about Beattie or Denton though ? both are available.

- - - Updated - - -

While on the bbc Maitland commented about hogg's comment

"Hoggy's a passionate man," said Maitland. "I wouldn't say the English don't respect us.
"But we haven't won down there since '83, so they probably could afford to say that."

Would you agree with this ?

No, Seymour was playing against italy and is available for this game. But Ashe i feel might be underrated abit here but i Understand, but what about Beattie or Denton though ? both are available.

on Seymour I like the cut of his Jib, so I might be tempted, but Beattie and Denton i wouldn't' touch...

"Hoggy's a passionate man," said Maitland. "I wouldn't say the English don't respect us.
"But we haven't won down there since '83, so they probably could afford to say that."

I wouldn't agree with that at all.

In fact I think it speaks volumes for the mental fragility of guys like Hogg that they need to drag all "English are the Arrogant" muck up, and I think the pair of them should keep quiet they are just giving England a reason to stick it up them.

Look at it this way, if it was reversed and an English player was saying crap about the Scots, do you think you'd accept the "they are just passionate" defense? You can be passionate without reeling out tired old nationalistic stereotypes. I agree with GN10, Scots making those sort of comments are just giving the English that desire to show our response on the pitch. England have a habit of hitting teams that decide to be gobby to us before a game quite hard.

Look at it this way, if it was reversed and an English player was saying crap about the Scots, do you think you'd accept the "they are just passionate" defense? You can be passionate without reeling out tired old nationalistic stereotypes. I agree with GN10, Scots making those sort of comments are just giving the English that desire to show our response on the pitch. England have a habit of hitting teams that decide to be gobby to us before a game quite hard.
Not really no, But I'm sure Hogg is passionate for the game but i dont think that passion is the reason why he made the comment. My real thoughts on his comment is that England i'm sure do respect Scotland for representing and being part off the tournament but i wouldn't see why losing games mean losing respect.

- - - Updated - - -

Thought i'd post this year too the England under 18 beat the Scotland under 18 39 - 27 and even that we lost this does look like a game that i should have watched, great tries scored from both teams

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really no, But I'm sure Hogg is passionate for the game but i dont think that passion is the reason why he made the comment. My real thoughts on his comment is that England i'm sure do respect Scotland for representing and being part off the tournament but i wouldn't see why losing games mean losing respect.

wait-what.jpg

How didn't that make sense ?, I'm sorry but if what Hogg said was true then why would you not respect us for losing games ?, I'm not saying that we should be respected for losing but we just shouldn't lose respect for losing.

I'd just work on the basis that Hogg is mistaken. Personally, to me, this smells like a Scotland team trying to pump itself up by every means necessary.

As for Denton/Beattie vs Vunipola - both of the former have their good points, but Vunipola's hit the international form of his life and both of the former have their poor points as well.

I got bored of spelling the TRF word of February and March normally. Sometimes change and improvisation are needed.

Would you like a job advising Stuart Lancaster? You sound just the man to tell him some home truths.

And Glos look better when Robson plays.
Nope, that is absurdly untrue.

Robson may have a more impressive highlights reel than Laidlaw, but Laidlaw is a significantly better 9. Robson is too frantic, sometimes losing control of the game in the process. This is especially an issue at Gloucester, since so much of the game is played through the 9 (e.g. Laidlaw generally makes more kicks than Hook, such as on the weekend Laidlaw made 15 kicks to Hook's 7). If Laidlaw had a good running game, he'd be a contender for the best 9 in the world. Everything else he does is class.

Nope, that is absurdly untrue.

Robson may have a more impressive highlights reel than Laidlaw, but Laidlaw is a significantly better 9. Robson is too frantic, sometimes losing control of the game in the process. This is especially an issue at Gloucester, since so much of the game is played through the 9 (e.g. Laidlaw generally makes more kicks than Hook, such as on the weekend Laidlaw made 15 kicks to Hook's 7). If Laidlaw had a good running game, he'd be a contender for the best 9 in the world. Everything else he does is class.

It might be the same with every Scottish player and the whole team, they are each missing just one element that stops them being class. The team lack the ability to close out a game, Laidlaw lacks a running game, Russell lacks composure (understandable given the inexperience), the pack lacks the strength in the scrum compared to other nations... running theme?

It might be the same with every Scottish player and the whole team, they are each missing just one element that stops them being class. The team lack the ability to close out a game, Laidlaw lacks a running game, Russell lacks composure (understandable given the inexperience), the pack lacks the strength in the scrum compared to other nations... running theme?
Meh, Laidlaw is better than anything England currently have at 9.

I kind off Disagree with that, Russell is not afraid to try something new out, even at International level

Latest posts