• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Six Nations] England vs Scotland (Round 4)

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
England team v Scotland:
1. J. Marler
2. D. Hartley
3. D. Cole
4. D. Attwood
5. C. Lawes
6. J. Haskell
7. C. Robshaw (C)
8. B. Vunipola

9. B. Youngs
10. G. Ford
11. J. Nowell
12. L. Burrell
13. J. Joseph
14. A. Watson
15. M. Brown

16. T. Youngs
17. M. Vunipola
18. K. Brookes
19. G. Parling
20. T. Wood
21. R. Wigglesworth
22. D. Cipriani
23. B. Twelvetrees
Pretty much as expected would prefer Parling to start (less of 'impact' player from the bench) but there's nothing surprising from that selection with no rash decisions made.

Cips will only play if we have a big lead to rest Ford or there's an injury to Ford or there's an injury and 36 is on the field. The perception I get is Cips is there for cover only and not part of the game plan and they want Ford to get as much international experience as possible before the RWC. Farrell will likely be on the bench then so Cips getting a chance isn't part of their plans.

I still reckon fazlet will be starting 10 come the world cup.
Really hope not, Even from a Scot. Ford i think is the better player atm and is having a really good six nations and at this stage definitely deserves the 10 jersey then farrell

I don''t want GN10 to be right but I'm pretty certain he is.

^this

Plus GN10 is apparently in the know being Farrell's father and must whisper sweet nothings in Lancasters ears at night.

Farrell is a top player, and will have a massive part to play in wc. With a name like that I was hoping Ireland could have claimed him! We need good reserves. But ford is a very smart player too. England will need two quality 10s and they have them now. If brown stays fit and tuilagi and co get back they will scare teams. Plus it is in England and the success of the tournament relies on home nations (esp England) having a good run. Ireland v England final on the cards!

- - - Updated - - -

Just realised I didn't mention Scotland in my last post, sorry lads, but they haven't shown up at 6N for a looooonnnnnnnnggggg time... It's a far cry from Hastings, Townsend and co... England by 20+

For an Eng vs Ireland final, one would have to finish 2nd in their group, the beat one or both of SA and NZ... They'll probably meet in the semis if they win their groups

Farrell Snr has spoken.

Seriously though, GN10 is right. If he's fit he is first choice. The autumn proved that.

Unless Farrell has magically upped his attacking game since being injured, I think it would be a step back to choose him. Ford is much better at attacking the line and apart from being a bigger physical presence and perhaps having a longer boot, I can't think of many areas where Farrell would give us something Ford can't deliver.

Meh, not really sure I like the changes. Easter making way even though he's had a good impact off the bench. Even at his best, Wood is not an impact player. Whilst Haskell keeps his place, even after his penalty machining ways.

Unless Farrell has magically upped his attacking game since being injured, I think it would be a step back to choose him. Ford is much better at attacking the line and apart from being a bigger physical presence and perhaps having a longer boot, I can't think of many areas where Farrell would give us something Ford can't deliver.

50898426.jpg

Me, I'm praying for Slade to come good really really quickly.

Meh, not really sure I like the changes. Easter making way even though he's had a good impact off the bench. Even at his best, Wood is not an impact player. Whilst Haskell keeps his place, even after his penalty machining ways.

Because Wood was the embodiment of a disciplined player before the injury? Hask hasn't given away any more pens than Wood. And one of those pens against Ireland likely stopped a try, so a rather good one to give, especially as he managed to stay on the pitch too.

Haskell frees up BV to be much more effective too, something Wood can't supply.

Because Wood was the embodiment of a disciplined player before the injury? Hask hasn't given away any more pens than Wood. And one of those pens against Ireland likely stopped a try, so a rather good one to give, especially as he managed to stay on the pitch too.

Haskell frees up BV to be much more effective too, something Wood can't supply.

This. Wood was an absolute penalty machine before injury ruled him out. And some of the penalties were moronic.

Both Haskell and Wood can give away idiotic penalties, but I'd say in general Wood's discipline is far better than Haskell's. I've not seen people calling for Attwood's head after his headless-chicken impressions vs Ireland.
Haskell's not particularly been setting the world on fire - seems to struggle to bring his club form to the international stage consistently.

Not saying that Wood should start over Haskell, just that Haskell's not the be all and end all, and Wood isn't some pantomime villain.

And one of those pens against Ireland likely stopped a try, so a rather good one to give, especially as he managed to stay on the pitch too.

so Haskell gives away good penalties, and Wood gives away bad penalties? ;)

I actually know what you're trying to say, but I said the exact same thing about Woods penalties in the AI's and people went postal at me :)

Both Haskell and Wood can give away idiotic penalties, but I'd say in general Wood's discipline is far better than Haskell's. I've not seen people calling for Attwood's head after his headless-chicken impressions vs Ireland.
Haskell's not particularly been setting the world on fire - seems to struggle to bring his club form to the international stage consistently.

Not saying that Wood should start over Haskell, just that Haskell's not the be all and end all, and Wood isn't some pantomime villain.

You're not wrong, but I think Haskell had a good two first games and only one pretty poor one against Ireland, in which he was in good company.
He's had a number of very good performances such as first test in New Zealand and against Wales recently but has never been recognized with consistent selection.
Wood is no pantomime villain, but, has played quite poorly for England recently and without good discipline.

For me, the point is that going back to Wood right now would be hugely regressive. I quite like him as a player but don't feel he has sufficient 'points of difference' to stand out at this level.

Scottish Team:

15 Stuart Hogg,
14 Dougie Fife,
13 Mark Bennett,
12 Matt Scott,
11 Tommy Seymour,
10 Finn Russell,
9 Greig Laidlaw,
8 David Denton,
7 Blair Cowan,
6 Rob Harley,
5 Jonny Gray,
4 Jim Hamilton,
3 Euan Murray,
2 Ross Ford,
1 Alasdair Dickinson.

Replacements: 16 Fraser Brown, 17 Ryan Grant, 18 Geoff Cross, 19 Tim Swinson, 20 Johnnie Beattie, 21 Adam Ashe, 22 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, 23 Greig Tonks.

Latest posts