• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Six Nations] England vs Scotland (Round 4)

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Greig Tonks covering 10-15.....is he still as terrible as he was at Saints?

I only just noticed that too...
I suppose Laidlaw covers 10?

But generally, its never a good idea in my opinion to hedge your bets and stick all your back-rowers on the bench. Much better to work out your best 4. Unless you literally have nobody else left and I don't think Scotland are quite at that point yet... Heathcote for example.

i dunno, i quite like a 5/2 split.

But not with those players.

That's it, though - you have to have, not only the calibre of players but also the type of players who can fit multiple positions equally well without it being a case of shoe-horning.
England don't currently have a utility player capable of playing 10 - 15 equally well, and for that reason we shouldn't do that slip.

not sure if anyone picked up on this but Alex Dunbar is out of the team as he picked up an ACL injury in training this morning - 6 months out (minimum), that's his world cup gone.

not sure if anyone picked up on this but Alex Dunbar is out of the team as he picked up an ACL injury in training this morning - 6 months out (minimum), that's his world cup gone.

Yeah, I noticed that but didn't question it for some reason.

At what point did he push Matt Scott out, anyway?
Scott was definitely one of the bright lights for Scotland 2 years ago and then he was no longer first choice...

Yeah, I noticed that but didn't question it for some reason.

At what point did he push Matt Scott out, anyway?
Scott was definitely one of the bright lights for Scotland 2 years ago and then he was no longer first choice...

think Scott got injured and Dunbar came to the fore.... They have three quality centers, but Dunbar is a real talent, feel really sorry for him as they reckon 6-9 months out. So he wont' play again this (calendar) year.

Sad news, was looking forwards to seeing him go up against us, although Scott-Bennett isn't too shabby either.

Greig Tonks covering 10-15.....is he still as terrible as he was at Saints?
I dont know, what was he like at Saint's ?, I think Tonks is better at 10 then fullback because in defence he is not that good and i would rather have a strong tackler at fullback.

But i dont mind the Scotland squad. Dont understand the reason off only having 2 backs on the bench. Really not happy to hear about Alex Dunbar knee injury but Matt Scott is a good player but would love to see Dunbar in there. Not sure if i would have Denton over Ashe though but its good to see them both back. But i still dont think its enough to beat England just aslong as we dont get smashed then i'll be happy with any result.

Last edited:
That's it, though - you have to have, not only the calibre of players but also the type of players who can fit multiple positions equally well without it being a case of shoe-horning.
England don't currently have a utility player capable of playing 10 - 15 equally well, and for that reason we shouldn't do that slip.

Arguably Daley is our best example of that utility player. Would it not be prudent to get him in the team as a utility sub?

Arguably Daley is our best example of that utility player. Would it not be prudent to get him in the team as a utility sub?

Probably, but I think Lancaster sees him as possibly coming into the equation for 2019 of at all.

Sadly I still don't think he'll amount to much in the context of England.

He scored a blinder of a try on the weekend, did you see? And has generally had a good season.

however, generally, he hasn't quite kicked on in the way I'd wanted him to... I thought he'd be a year or so ahead in his development by now...
I don't know...but I have a feeling we're not going to see him that much for England.

Probably, but I think Lancaster sees him as possibly coming into the equation for 2019 of at all.

Sadly I still don't think he'll amount to much in the context of England.

haha, great minds...

Daly... Daly... there's no bloody e there...

Daly won't make it as a utility. If Lancaster was interested in a utility, Matthew Tait would have been far more involved. It's quite absurd that a man who cheerfully sticks 12s at 13s, full-backs on wings and Tuilagi everywhere doesn't have an actual interest in players with genuine high end class in 3 positions, but there we go.

He might make it as an OC though and I wouldn't write him off yet. Yes, we all hoped he'd be further along, but he's only 22 and really, his only issues as a future England international are

a) The belief that Lancaster prefers his centres well north of 15 stone; that said, that's not a hard and firm rule with him
b) Tuilagi and Joseph making strong cases for the jersey; it's up to Daly to make his case when he gets an opportunity ahead of them, and given the attrition rate of the modern game/murmurings of Tuilagi back to 12, I think he will.

Not insignificant issues, but not insurmountable. It helps that he's got a massive boot on him. I reckon he'll get a chance - from there it's up to him to take it. But he has to prove himself in his proven position, he's not going to make it as a no. 23.

Last edited:

Daly won't make it as a utility. If Lancaster was interested in a utility, Matthew Tait would have been far more involved. It's quite absurd that a man who cheerfully sticks 12s at 13s, full-backs on wings and Tuilagi everywhere doesn't have an actual interest in players with genuine high end class in 3 positions, but there we go.

He might make it as an OC though and I wouldn't write him off yet. Yes, we all hoped he'd be further along, but he's only 22 and really, his only issues as a future England international are

a) The belief that Lancaster prefers his centres well north of 15 stone; that said, that's not a hard and firm rule with him
b) Tuilagi and Joseph making strong cases for the jersey; it's up to Daly to make his case when he gets an opportunity ahead of them, and given the attrition rate of the modern game/murmurings of Tuilagi back to 12, I think he will.

Not insignificant issues, but not insurmountable. It helps that he's got a massive boot on him. I reckon he'll get a chance - from there it's up to him to take it. But he has to prove himself in his proven position, he's not going to make it as a no. 23.

Since Lancaster has been coach tait has only played fullback.

Daly has actually played a lot at 13 and 15 and wing.

Tait not utility, daly is

I'm not convinced by him as an outside centre....I felt it was his best position for a long time, and it still might prove to be so.. but all he really tends to do is take on defenders on the outside shoulders or pass. I wouldn't say he runs great lines.
He's very good in open field though...

Completely off topic lads. But anyone see that 15 year old kid who looks like a machine for some English school. That's the type of player England will thrive having 13

Completely off topic lads. But anyone see that 15 year old kid who looks like a machine for some English school. That's the type of player England will thrive having 13
Do you mean this guy ?

Last edited by a moderator:

He is in the Leicester Tigers development Program (Basically pre academy)

Although he might focus on Athletics he can run the 100 in 10.9 I think.

He is in the Leicester Tigers development Program (Basically pre academy)

Although he might focus on Athletics he can run the 100 in 10.9 I think.

Wow that is him. He has to be kept in rugby. I was a big fan of Lewsey and Robinson. This guy is like a combination of the 2 and I think if he had the hands 15 would be where I'd put him although he's not bad 13. Has the potential to be the face of an era.

I'm not convinced by him as an outside centre....I felt it was his best position for a long time, and it still might prove to be so.. but all he really tends to do is take on defenders on the outside shoulders or pass. I wouldn't say he runs great lines.
He's very good in open field though...

No particular argument - but that's not a bad place for a 22 year old to be and he has the attention of the international selectors doing it.

Latest posts