• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Six Nations] Wales vs Ireland (Round 4)

Funny that Wales were in this position too going into the last world cup. After the 6 nations Gatland transformed the side and they went on a good run in the following years. Maybe Gatland has something up his sleeve for the world cup?

¿Que?

Also, Carwyn never coached Wales...

I know but he did coach the Lions.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha, ha, no.

One day Gatland will go away like a bad dream, and I'll be there to say that I didn't rate him before it was cool not to. :p

You want him to go, you must be worried about the WC group

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, but right now I'm not sure if he is continuing to improve Wales or is actually holding them back.

Once upon a time Jamie Roberts was a freak of nature in the backline. Now he is just another big unit.

Plan A has been getting built since late 2008 - thats coming on 7 years. There has only been an extraction of creativity in that time (no more Henson, Byrne & S. Williams) and replacement with uniformly straight hard runners*.

*An exception being the recent introduction of The Rat Williams - who, give the man his dues - can be deceptively creative.

You'd have to wonder how many problems the Welsh 3/4 line could pose if they were being conducted by Rhys Patchell from 12 rather than led like a battering ram by Jamie Roberts at 12.

I'd prefer Scott Williams creating with either Roberts or Fox outside him, another alternative Ainscombe in the centre so the 9 has a left and right option.

- - - Updated - - -

Funny that Wales were in this position too going into the last world cup. After the 6 nations Gatland transformed the side and they went on a good run in the following years. Maybe Gatland has something up his sleeve for the world cup?

I think he has, but I doubt we will see it until the summer.

We have a very good record in Wales only losing twice since 1983 I think. Wales have probably become as much as if not more of a grudge match than England in recent years so I'm really looking forward to what will most likely be a very physical match.

I know most Welsh don't subscribe to his views but I'm going to leave it here because its funny.
http://www.the42.ie/ireland-wales-six-nations-1967317-Mar2015/

Turns out he has some follow through at least. :D
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-v-ireland-only-six-8765818

Note: I'm not saying there's a lot to get annoyed about in his selection. Most of it is meh, it's just how he changes his logic to give the tight calls to the Welsh.

Last edited:
But BG8 how many have we scraped in last 5/10 mins over there. The 2 ROG drop goals for instance. This fixture 2 years ago Wales never turned up but then were explosive rest of tournament.

It's walesonline that drives me mad. I try not to read it, but the irish media have no resorted to reporting what walesonline say...

Anyway - huge respect for the Welsh. Just hope Gatland has a plan B ;)

The problem for Wales is if England can shut them out defensively for an entire half what can Ireland do? The only glimmer of hope for Wales is while Ireland are a better defensive unit than England they don't appear to have the same ability in try-scoring flair (not saying England are brilliant just they have a bit more to them than Ireland in attack).

Sorry just can't see past Ireland on this one, Wales have yet to impress this competition and their lack of plan B will mean Ireland will be extremely well drilled in stopping them. As proven this weekend in defense everything England do well Ireland do better currently.

Look, Wales have far more than a glimmer of hope going into this game. Ireland are favorites, i don't understand how they couldn't be, but Wales can turn them over. Also, I don't agree that England are the better try scoring side, Ireland look more dangerous for me regardless of this English 'flair' (which i have not seen much evidence of).

- - - Updated - - -

We have a very good record in Wales only losing twice since 1983 I think. Wales have probably become as much as if not more of a grudge match than England in recent years so I'm really looking forward to what will most likely be a very physical match.

I know most Welsh don't subscribe to his views but I'm going to leave it here because its funny.
http://www.the42.ie/ireland-wales-six-nations-1967317-Mar2015/

Turns out he has some follow through at least. :D
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-v-ireland-only-six-8765818

Note: I'm not saying there's a lot to get annoyed about in his selection. Most of it is meh, it's just how he changes his logic to give the tight calls to the Welsh.

And we will have to endure Keith 'one eyed' Wood all during the build up next weekend :p

Edit: A note on Gatland. Seems to me, that winning the last lions series was the worst thing to happen for his reputation with anyone who isn't Welsh.

Last edited:
I read on a welsh website that they were looking at bringing back ieuan Evans? Any truth to this? Not the ieuan Evans bit, the part saying that there's a welsh website out there...
Just a spot of slightly racist banter to wind a few heads up.
Cue:pC brigade

- - - Updated - - -

Keith wood can be pretty biased in his assessment of Ireland games

I read on a welsh website that they were looking at bringing back ieuan Evans? Any truth to this? Not the ieuan Evans bit, the part saying that there's a welsh website out there...
Just a spot of slightly racist banter to wind a few heads up.
Cue:pC brigade
.....what?

Should be a tight game.... Wales has stopped playing the game like the French as they used to. And they're not as good to watch. North is way too safe now and they lack the spark that little Shane used to bring

Last edited:
Look, Wales have far more than a glimmer of hope going into this game. Ireland are favorites, i don't understand how they couldn't be, but Wales can turn them over. Also, I don't agree that England are the better try scoring side, Ireland look more dangerous for me regardless of this English 'flair' (which i have not seen much evidence of).

Last edited by a moderator:
Should be a tight game.... Wales has stopped playing the game like the French as they used to. And they're not as good to watch. North is way too safe now and they lack the spark that little Shane used to bring

I agree. Sexy rugby was a Welsh characteristic and was a mandatory part of our game up until Gatland joined. Also agree that North is under too stringent orders to hold line and is basically being used as a Wing version of Roberts. Shane Williams' loss is becoming more evident every day. If i look back at some youtube videos now, i can't believe he ever existed in the Welsh team as he looks like he's from another planet. god i miss him

That's not exactly astonishing flair, more outright terrible defense by 2-3 players. Soft soft try. Decent feet though, nothing much more.

They didn't show anything against Ireland at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, how is that flair? good finish, but hardly world class flair

- - - Updated - - -

And we will have to endure Keith 'one eyed' Wood all during the build up next weekend :p

Edit: A note on Gatland. Seems to me, that winning the last lions series was the worst thing to happen for his reputation with anyone who isn't Welsh.

You are absolutely bang on, I know plenty of England fans who would have rather the Lions lost than give praise to Gats. Mind you I still blame Woodward for wrecking Hensons confidence and as a result career.

I miss Shane Williams... One of goat.... The centre pairing is crucial, and wales centre partnership is strong... Millennium stadium is the best rugby stadium in works but England managed to silence crowd... Something ireland will have to do if they want to win

I know plenty of England fans

Find this exceptionally hard to believe considering your incredibly ignorant views on English rugby.

Don't know how I feel about this game. On the one hand I don't want Ireland to win the Slam :)p) but on the other I don't want Wales to win. The fans have been going on about how they're going to win the Six Nations ever since they squeaked home vs Scotland (I don't think they'd win the whole thing if they were to beat Ireland, but I can just how insufferable it'd be if they did beat Ireland).
A draw would be nice.

I miss Shane Williams... One of goat.... The centre pairing is crucial, and wales centre partnership is strong... Millennium stadium is the best rugby stadium in works but England managed to silence crowd... Something ireland will have to do if they want to win

On this I think we will see exactly how the Henshaw/Payne partnership is bedding. This will be their biggest test by far.
Regards stadium it is as you say the best but most Irish guys have had their best ever rugby days there.

Find this exceptionally hard to believe considering your incredibly ignorant views on English rugby.

Don't know how I feel about this game. On the one hand I don't want Ireland to win the Slam :)p) but on the other I don't want Wales to win. The fans have been going on about how they're going to win the Six Nations ever since they squeaked home vs Scotland (I don't think they'd win the whole thing if they were to beat Ireland, but I can just how insufferable it'd be if they did beat Ireland).
A draw would be nice.

Bit hypocritical mate?

I'm not gonna spend the next 30 minuites trying to find highlights of England breaks vs. Ireland to show they have attacking flair, it's simply not worth my time or effort.

However so far this tournament

Ireland tries = 3
England tries = 8

Both played Italy, both played each other, Ireland played France, we played Wales if your an easier team to score tries against than France....god help you.

Look you can make up deluded excuses whenever, like when you thought Wales dominated for the first 40mins of Wales V England match as some sort of vendetta against me but please your making yourself look silly at times.

Anyway this is about Wales and Ireland so lets focus on that game and those teams.

Bit hypocritical mate?
Not really - go to any social media outlet and have a look at the comments on any Wales related post.
Obviously social media isn't the best gauge and is generally the vocal minority, but the Welsh lot on there are very vocal.

Mind you I still blame Woodward for wrecking Hensons confidence and as a result career.
Skipped over this before! That is pure hilarity :lol:

Latest posts