• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 4: Scotland vs. France (13/03/2016)

It's just nice to see laidlaw smile, it doesn't usually happen. With nation or club.

It's just nice to see laidlaw smile, it doesn't usually happen. With nation or club.

He used the same media training company as Andy Murray - Dourinterviews4u

Hopefully Ben Youngs picked up a few tips today.

bravo Scotland, well deserved. A long way to go for France, we 'll need to be much better if we want to beat England next week-end.

Very well deserved win for Scotland but I can't believe how poor France have become, they did show wee glimpses of good rugby, especially for the tries, it was slightly better than the Wales loss but miles off a winning performance needed against England.

The tries by Scotland were excellent, especially Duncan Taylor's individual try and Tim Visser's final try, the little flap pass was immense.

For me, Stuart Hogg had a great game, his penalty from halfway was great and so was his kicking, the one which stands out was his "spiral kick" from near the posts which he kicked the whole length of the park.

Its long overdue that we win whilst playing well.

Well done Scotland, really well done.
Scotland have been my guilty pleasure in this 6 Nations.
They always try to play enterprising rugby (under Cotter) and that is always entertaining to watch.
For Scotland to break a 10 year hoodoo is an amazing result and the manner in which they played most of the game will bring players to the game.
Fantastic result backed up by some excellent entertaining rugby.
France are a funny bunch, you are never sure who is going to show up but they certainly stayed in the game for long periods.
It's refreshing to see Scotland holding their heads high and playing well, making the right choices, taking the right options and attacking well.
The Flower of Scotland is blossoming.

I'm pleased for Vern Cotter that his Scottish team with its small player base is coming good.
Now can they win in Dublin? Yes, of course, and the Irish know it too!

Let me first of all sincerely congratulate England on their championship win. I think they will win the Grand Slam, and they will deserve it.

HOWEVER ! Was anyone else as frustrated as me with the BBC's sports headlines last night where they kept saying "....England have won the championship after France lost to Scotland etc" as opposed to "Scotland produced a brilliant win over France, allowing England to win the Championship etc" ?!

I'm afraid faintly typical of the England-focussed, wrong end of the telescope approach of the BBC.

Never mind, let's just enjoy a great win !

The news being reported is England have won the championship not that Scotland have won a game. Why should Scotland's win get over the fact that England won the entire thing? Allowing England to win the championship? England have beaten all opponents whilst everyone else has floundered. Should they also caveat it with the fact Ireland and Wales ended in a draw. Or any other result that's happened in our favorite? Nope because England one the championship which is what was being reported.

There probably an article somewhere that's the report on the game itself that has a headline suitable for you.http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35756073

- - - Updated - - -

Just to be clear the headline from their article on the match itself was.

Scotland end drought with win over France

Not sure that was the point?

The news being reported is England have won the championship not that Scotland have won a game. Why should Scotland's win get over the fact that England won the entire thing? Allowing England to win the championship? England have beaten all opponents whilst everyone else has floundered. Should they also caveat it with the fact Ireland and Wales ended in a draw. Or any other result that's happened in our favorite? Nope because England one the championship which is what was being reported.

There probably an article somewhere that's the report on the game itself that has a headline suitable for you.http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35756073

- - - Updated - - -

Just to be clear the headline from their article on the match itself was.

Scotland end drought with win over France

I think they took umbrage at the "France lost to...." bit which whilst true does spin differently even to "France were beaten by". " lost to" suggests passivity and allowance. I don't think they were complaining at all about reporting the championship win, just a small belittling of a very good Scottish performance. Fwiw I read the article and thought the same thing as an Englishman.

He said the ***le should be about Scotland's win not England's championship. When the article was about Englands championship not Scotland's win so yeah I don't think he meant that all he was just complaining headline news was about England not Scotland.

I still disagree with your fair point though the important thing in championship is that France lost not that Scotland won. It didn't matter who they were playing yesterday it could of Micronesia and the important factor in terms of who won the champions would be France can't get as many point as England now. So for the article to state England won due to France losing is entirely accurate and a better reflection of why England won the championship than Scotland winning.

Fair enough.

He said the ***le should be about Scotland's win not England's championship. When the article was about Englands championship not Scotland's win so yeah I don't think he meant that all he was just complaining headline news was about England not Scotland.

I still disagree with your fair point though the important thing in championship is that France lost not that Scotland won. It didn't matter who they were playing yesterday it could of Micronesia and the important factor in terms of who won the champions would be France can't get as many point as England now. So for the article to state England won due to France losing is entirely accurate and a better reflection of why England won the championship than Scotland winning.

Not going to get bent out of shape about it. Just interests me the power that language has to convey things differently. Personally for me in terms of logic it stacks up to talk about the championship winners first after all that's what a tournament is about. However, in terms of relevant interest I could make a case for reporting the Scots biggest result in a decade that denies France the chance for the championship.

Anyway it's not as much fun as claiming that if x number of decisions had been made differently then x country would have definitely won!

Last edited:
Just watched the replay of Hogg's try and flick on to Visser. The slow-mo really highlights how much Fickou and Spedding were done like kippers with the speed of his footwork and the unexpected flick pass. Really impressive play.

Last edited:
Just like the Aussies fairly beat you in the World Cup.

Couldn't agree more. I said at the time Scotland had chances to put that game away. Never was one of the ones feeling sorry for themselves at the time when it was our own inadequacies that led to that defeat.
So,as I said, get over it.

Latest posts