• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 4: England vs Scotland (12/03/2017)

I know I'm not a doctor but could somebody please tell me which part of the anatomy that is marked in red.

Oh wait. I just checked with my 4 year old daughter and she assures me those are arms.

No arms
c80accf59776f814b2855453c85c0fc7.jpg

============================
With arms
5e91eb46cc12e7cdb913db5772234f99.jpg

I can see the difference. Can you?

Not a fan of media faux outrage generally, but this was a little ****ty of ITV, particularly for a U.K. wide broadcast. I look forward to their RWC 2019 coverage reminding us that Japan seek to join England as the only host country to fail to exit the group stages.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby...disrespectful-greig-laidlaw-caption-1-4390220

That screenshot and italys tactics were the only 6 nations news to make the somewhat mainstream sports news in United States

Not a fan of media faux outrage generally, but this was a little ****ty of ITV, particularly for a U.K. wide broadcast. I look forward to their RWC 2019 coverage reminding us that Japan seek to join England as the only host country to fail to exit the group stages.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby...disrespectful-greig-laidlaw-caption-1-4390220

Out of everything he has achieved, ITV go with that. It may be a fact, but it's irrelevant and doesn't sum up how important he's been for Scotland. I personally think his speed at the ruck sometimes holds Scotland back, but in terms of leadership and consistency with kicking, he has been outstanding and has been instrumental in getting this team into the position it is now.

Out of everything he has achieved, ITV go with that. It may be a fact, but it's irrelevant and doesn't sum up how important he's been for Scotland. I personally think his speed at the ruck sometimes holds Scotland back, but in terms of leadership and consistency with kicking, he has been outstanding and has been instrumental in getting this team into the position it is now.

Yeh that's really disappointing but at the end of the day it's the British media .... it's full of bell ends

You've never played rugby in your life

Certainly not the sissy stuff of today. I played when you could still play 60 minutes completely concussed with a broken rib.

1967-1989 - full on amateur.

More social for 20 years then played my last game age 50 - on my birthday as it happens.

How about you sweet cheeks.

Certainly not the sissy stuff of today. I played when you could still play 60 minutes completely concussed with a broken rib.

More social for 20 years then played my last game age 50 - on my birthday as it happens.

Please tell me more master.

I see the problem now, you're so old your blind.

Please tell me more master.

Hi Mole. Glad to see you're still contributing. Good stuff.

I know I'm probably in the minority on this but I think there is still the issue of intent - & therein lies the problem. It's interpretation by the ref in the moment.

The difference between yellow and red on the field is obvious Ito intent.

The difference between a penalty and yellow is less obvious in the moment. Refs probably need to rely more on real time reply to make an objective decision and that is precisely what happened. The TMO was able to give a more objective interpretation of action and by implication, intent.

Was the tackle late - Yes. Marginally. I think Hughes knew it too. There was some intent by Hughes. Penalty and a final warning as first offence.

Was the tackle high - No. It wasn't low but it was below the shoulder line.

Did Hughes attempt to use his arms - Yes. The fact that the action of closing the arms in the tackle was incomplete was as a result of other in play contact / dynamics.

Common sense prevailed.

Hi Mole. Glad to see you're still contributing. Good stuff.

I know I'm probably in the minority on this but I think there is still the issue of intent - & therein lies the problem. It's interpretation by the ref in the moment.

The difference between yellow and red on the field is obvious Ito intent.

The difference between a penalty and yellow is less obvious in the moment. Refs probably need to rely more on real time reply to make an objective decision and that is precisely what happened. The TMO was able to give a more objective interpretation of action and by implication, intent.

Was the tackle late - Yes. Marginally. I think Hughes knew it too. There was some intent by Hughes. Penalty and a final warning as first offence.

Was the tackle high - No. It wasn't low but it was below the shoulder line.

Did Hughes attempt to use his arms - Yes. The fact that the action of closing the arms in the tackle was incomplete was as a result of other in play contact / dynamics.

Common sense prevailed.

I absolutely agree with everything on the tackle. It was just the whole back in day rant that I was jabbing at.

Yep I've outgrown the ignorance of youth.

You might get away with lame complaints like this in this English criclejerk safe space of a forum, but I'm going to tell you how it is.

If you're going to complain about some Irish player doing a pirouette even a Russian ballerina would be proud of into Sam Canes shoulder then proceed to bang onto me about how you're a hard old bugger from "back in the good old days", then there's no way I'm going to take anything you say seriously, I'm just going to think you're a soft old toff.

Last edited:
The problem with the caption is most of the time one most sports programmes they like to big up their pundits history of the fixture. I bet if you look at previous games each pundit has similar captions. Problem is Laidlaw's record in this fixture is poor and probably a lack quality control led to a stupid caption.

Plus it's not like Laidlaw is a saint when it comes to 'banter' over this fixture as well.

You might get away with lame complaints like this in this English criclejerk safe space of a forum, but I'm going to tell you how it is.

If you're going to complain about some Irish player doing a pirouette even a Russian ballerina would be proud of into Sam Canes shoulder (with less than a second to react) then proceed to bang onto me about how you're a hard old bugger from "back in the good old days", then there's no way I'm going to take anything you say seriously, I'm just going to think you're a soft old toff.

He's a member of the stripey blazer brigade for sure.
I notice he didn't put up a picture of the clothesline from the side angle where you can see one arm belt the Scottish back in the chest while the other arm is nowhere near making contact. It's an afterthought.
It was entirely premeditated.
It was a one arm tackle he just wanted to belt the bloke.
What is disappointing is that Hughes didn't see that the bloke was about to have to run through 2-3 of his team mates that Hughes was standing next to. He was going to be impeded anyway by his own team mates.
It wasn't a high tackle, no problem there, but it was a premeditated, late, one armed tackle and anywhere but Twickenham, in this modern era of rugby, he would have been off for a 10 minute rest.

It would not have changed the game. Scotland were woeful and England were dominant in all areas for long periods.
It was a case of children and men.
For me nothing has changed. How long is it since Scotland won at Twickers? Some of the contributors here weren't born to see it I bet. Scotland were badly exposed on the weekend. They do well considering their tiny catchment numbers. However against a powerhouse rugby nation like England, easily the biggest rugby nation on the planet, they are never really likely to create an upset more than once a half century.

Latest posts