• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Rugby Championship] Round 3: New Zealand v Argentina (09/09/2017)

Well, I actually think this is one of those matches people will think we made it better than anyone expected.

Hard to guess the difference, but I think we should go down for like 30+, something of the sort.

maybe need to consider that the game is a yarrow stadium, NZ has had a heck of a lot of rain this winter. it may not be a point fest like the the last one against Aussie.

Yea the weather is crap in the Naki, so I don't think it'll be as free-flowing and high-scoring as it otherwise would be. Still expecting a dominant ABs performance though.

96kg, 90kg and 81kg... Smallest back three we've had in years.

thats probably it...there's going to be big forwards just waiting for one of these guys to try and hit it up through the middle

thats probably it...there's going to be big forwards just waiting for one of these guys to try and hit it up through the middle

Which is probably why.. they won't try.

Battering ram is not the only way to get through a defence.

Which is probably why.. they won't try.

Battering ram is not the only way to get through a defence.

so just writing off one type of attack

of course its not the only way

all i mean is all three of these guys go looking for gaps in the defense on the regular...when those gaps unexpectedly get filled buy one of the larger blokes on the field they are less likely to stand up in or shrug off the tackle than some like savea, naholo or Iaone

Last edited:
so just writing off one type of attack

of course its not the only way

all i mean is all three of these guys go looking for gaps in the defense on the regular...when those gaps unexpectedly get filled buy one of the larger blokes on the field they are less likely to stand up in or shrug off the tackle than some like savea, naholo or Iaone
Yea but they're more likely to find those gaps, so I don't really think we're really disadvantaged. I'm actually really excited by this mix... especially the thought of DMac combining with NMS down that left wing like he used to with Lowe. Those could be awesome together.

you dont need those big players to face arg. cordero is playing along with bonfelli and tuculet. similar size.
i hope its not too painfull to watch

you dont need those big players to face arg. cordero is playing along with bonfelli and tuculet. similar size.
i hope its not too painfull to watch
Yes and same goes for the Saffas. Small back three but make up for it by being good rugby players. Size is just one element, certainly not a requirement.

The wise one is talking up this Fifita. Not convinced myself. Seems a bit loose to be an AB 6. I think there are others more worthy. Hoping he shuts me up and proves me wrong.

... especially the thought of DMac combining with NMS down that left wing like he used to with Lowe. Those could be awesome together.
yup dMac brings a lot to the table but he has to cut out his errors.
he's dynamic and always creating opportunities but one day that opportunity will be for the opposition and it could be costly.
dagg was the same and started out making heaps of errors tho he created abundant opportunities. that try that dusatoir scored in the 2011 WC final was due to dagg and that game was close. when dagg replaced mils, dagg made more errors in one game than mils had all season. dagg eventually evolved and is now a rock in the back 3.

dMac will come right but is still a work in progress.

Looking forward to this test. Finally get a Perenara/BB duo - but live with the reality that when Laumape comes on, one or both of those starters will have either gone or been moved so I need to wait longer to see the trio in action again.

Caitlyn thinks I have a 'hard on" for the 'Canes but the simple fact is I have my opinions of player skills and will not change them simply because, by co-incidence, a lot play for the 'Canes. I also believe strongly in combinations - something subtle that we hopefully will witness big-time when we have Fifita/Ardea/Perenara and BB starting. When Nehe is on the blind, he will add to that magic.

If Mac or BB opt to run the ball back at the opposition, I hope like hell they head in the direction of Nehe. If he can't beat his markers he will take the tackle.
if Israel ends up with the ball he will kick and chase and stand and see the ball coming back way above his head. The Pumas back three are as solid as concrete and kick a rugby ball for miles. My old man knew a bit about rugby and always said " sort out your oppositions strengths

Agreed. Has unique skills and not worried about taking a hit for his team. Just another kiwi who has admired Conrad Smith and his role as an extra loose forward.

i'm torm between blooding a few new guys (openside maybe) and showing the Argies the respect the deserve (aswell as building some coninuity) and going more or less full strength

If you say a team "deserves respect" the chances are you do not believe that they do. Would you say it about England? Any talk of blooding new players is indication that NZ have this in the bag (which they do). In the short history of the Rugby Championship, NZ have never been so strong, and Arg so inequipped to limit the damage which is going to be inflicted on them. On a side note, and nothing to do with your own comment, I had to laugh at one NZ websites preview for the game this week. Laden with the usual cliches about the Pumas being strong up front and a formidable scrummaging side who would cause NZ problems in this area, and nowhere else. I thought to myself if the article reporter had watched a single Jags/Pumas match in the last two years - if he had he would know Arg now pose no threat whatsoever at scrum time and if they are to score a try, it will likely come from broken play.

i say "deserves respect" because baring a drop in form this season i think they have shown some improvement over the last few years and to talk like its some training fun undermines any progress made.

I think you can believe with very little doubt we're going to win but still respect the Argies