• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] Round 16: Hurricanes vs. Chiefs (09/06/2017)

Was at the game so didn't have the luxury of really seeing what was going on, but I though Julian Savea was actually pretty good. Put in some big hits on D and looked dangerous with the ball. The accuracy of our backline was hopeless at times, really frustrating. We could've won that game at many different stages, but we didn't, and in the end we didn't deserve to.
McKenzie and Lowe delivered a big **** you to the selectors. Jordie was average, clearly out-played by DMac, as he has been all season. Lowe was just Lowe again... what more that man could've done to be an All Black I really don't know. Maybe if he had changed his last name to Barrett...

ALB also hitting some timely form which is pleasing.

Laumape was a big weakness in this one. If his space is shut down, and he can't bump off tackles, he's out of ideas.

Chiefs defense, especially on the scramble, was very impressive.

Both Barretts were very average- at best.

Dirty hit to the head by JTA on Brown, I don't see how that went undetected.

I don't think Cruden's knee will be a big issue. If I saw it correctly, it was a knee to the inside of his knee, and any news of a tear to his MCL is very premature.

I'm a big Canes supporter but I believe the Saders will get the trophy this year. They have a true team spirit and a very balanced squad with a solid game plan. The Hurricanes' tactics are skewed towards fast attacking backs, but when they face a team that successfully starves them of possession, they become totally ineffective.

Chiefs can be very strong but sometimes go missing. They aren't a consistent team.

I honestly don't see any clear favourites right now. I think any one of the Crusaders, Canes, Landers, Chiefs and Lions are a good chance to take it. We definitely can't forget the Lions, they're an excellent side and their home advantage is a big factor. The 4 kiwi sides have bugger all between them.... it just comes down to who shows up on the day. And who knows what teams will gel or won't gel after the international break, who will or won't be injured etc...
All momentum that teams have built to this point will go back to zilch, so it's anyone's for the taking.
IMO it's too tough to label a favourite at this point.

was a close game, jordie and savea were actually pretty good.

was funny though, before each game the chiefs put up a stats comparison on facebook between key players and for this game they put up the stats for Jodie and dmac. And as you would expect dmacs stats were basically far superior which gave a lot of people a platform to question the All Black selections...

The chiefs defense mostly shut down bauden, Laumape and Aso. ALB and Ngatai were fricken amazing on defense. Jordie was good and made some inroads.

And Julian Savea did run hard and make a good effort, he almost got a try as well only just stopped by a dmac try saving tackle.

But dmac and Lowe were the difference again, team effort of course and also Stephenson with his critical break. These guys and the chiefs as a whole deserve some credit when maybe they haven't go the respect they deserve from the AB selectors.

Alaimalo was very impressive, I would say head to head he was better than Savea as well. And he linked well too which is critical for chiefs play, the passing between I think he and Messam that led to the early try. To me that has always been one of the key differences between Save and lowe. It may seem a simple stat but Savea has something like less than 1 third the number of passes as Lowe this season.

for the chiefs to do it all without Retalick, in an away game, after losing Cruden to injury and dealing with a yellow card.

The critical thing now for the chiefs is maintaining their form over the June break.

Ngatai is a huge boost, his fitness is a bit lacking hes clearly a bit old school and needs more game time to get his match fitness up. But he was crucial, while he was on the park he kept Laumape and Aso completely in check and he made it over the gain line constantly, took some heat off Cruden and ALB.

for NZ to clean sweep this competition now it looks like the if things go to form the crusaders beat the canes and the chiefs beat the brumbies it will be the hurricanes that will have to travel to play the lions and I think the hurricanes can do that.

Forgot to add. The chiefs loosies were good, Cane was very good and seemed like he took it on himself to keep bauden Quiet and did a very good job, Messam was very good and I think it was a mistake to take him off early he looked fresh and was starting to get into the game and Brown was starting to show serious fatigue.

But I must say, Ardie Savea was mind blowing good. he obviously wanted to win this game for his bro and put in a massive effort.

was a close game, jordie and savea were actually pretty good.

was funny though, before each game the chiefs put up a stats comparison on facebook between key players and for this game they put up the stats for Jodie and dmac. And as you would expect dmacs stats were basically far superior which gave a lot of people a platform to question the All Black selections...

The chiefs defense mostly shut down bauden, Laumape and Aso. ALB and Ngatai were fricken amazing on defense. Jordie was good and made some inroads.

And Julian Savea did run hard and make a good effort, he almost got a try as well only just stopped by a dmac try saving tackle.

But dmac and Lowe were the difference again, team effort of course and also Stephenson with his critical break. These guys and the chiefs as a whole deserve some credit when maybe they haven't go the respect they deserve from the AB selectors.

Alaimalo was very impressive, I would say head to head he was better than Savea as well. And he linked well too which is critical for chiefs play, the passing between I think he and Messam that led to the early try. To me that has always been one of the key differences between Save and lowe. It may seem a simple stat but Savea has something like less than 1 third the number of passes as Lowe this season.

for the chiefs to do it all without Retalick, in an away game, after losing Cruden to injury and dealing with a yellow card.

The critical thing now for the chiefs is maintaining their form over the June break.

Ngatai is a huge boost, his fitness is a bit lacking hes clearly a bit old school and needs more game time to get his match fitness up. But he was crucial, while he was on the park he kept Laumape and Aso completely in check and he made it over the gain line constantly, took some heat off Cruden and ALB.

for NZ to clean sweep this competition now it looks like the if things go to form the crusaders beat the canes and the chiefs beat the brumbies it will be the hurricanes that will have to travel to play the lions and I think the hurricanes can do that.

Forgot to add. The chiefs loosies were good, Cane was very good and seemed like he took it on himself to keep bauden Quiet and did a very good job, Messam was very good and I think it was a mistake to take him off early he looked fresh and was starting to get into the game and Brown was starting to show serious fatigue.

But I must say, Ardie Savea was mind blowing good. he obviously wanted to win this game for his bro and put in a massive effort.
Totally agree with everything you said.

Jordie had a good game. He didn't match Dmac who was outstandingly good but he wasn't average either. He gave the ball away by the end of the match after refusing to kick it, but apart from that, his offloading game was sound.

Ngatai is out of form but still has such an influence on the field! Says a lot about his class. If he'd never had these concussion issues, he'd surely be New Zealand's premier second five, even better than an in form SBW.

Julian will never be the committed and hardworking player his bro is. Ardie Savea alone puts the Hurricanes on the front foot. He definitely deserves to be in the ABs squad. Not so sure about Julian though.

It's interesting to see how complementary Matt, Ardie and Sam are at 7. Ardie's a powerhouse and eats meters like a monster. Sam is the silent worker, tackles, defends, does the ugly job but doesn't always get enough recognition for his sacrifice. Matt is an excellent jackal and tackles equally well. As such, Ardie's more a n°8 than a flanker, but he's also a fearful tackler, he's physical enough to be dominant, it would be a shame to play him out of position.

I would have tapped and had a crack at the line to deny the bonus point. Being a point back of the Hurricanes looms large. I believe both Chiefs and Hurricanes will win their final game.

What do you guys think?

Latest posts