• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] Wales vs Tonga (17/11/18)

Wainwright played well. Bit lightweight for a top level 6 but still young and can work on that but showing some real promise.

Tomos Williams, Watkin, Jenkins and Liam Williams all to come in for the SA game please.

Massively satisfying performance that. The question marks got answered affirmatively, namely Seb at 8, Wainwright & Cory at 6, the young centre partnership and Holmes at 15. Nice to see Steff and Biggs have a couple of point proving performances too (although when he came on, Patch proved why he would always be my 10 if fit).

These second and in some case third stringers looked fit, hungry and decisive.

Special mention to Sanjay who is almost always on point and Jake Ball who has struggled to get back from numerous injuries but looked formidable today.

At last, Wales have a very dominant performance against a Tier Two team. Maybe there is real strength-in-depth after all.

At last, Wales have a very dominant performance against a Tier Two team. Maybe there is real strength-in-depth after all.

It's felt 'different' for a while if you ask me (namely when Navidi and Shingler were drafted in last Autumn & performed admirably was the starting point) but today was another statement as far as depth goes. We've been creeping under the radar for a while (and what I mean by that is, NO ONE has given us any credit for breaking into the top 3 earlier this year) but i feel that this autumn is slowly addressing that.

Last edited:
Massively satisfying performance that. The question marks got answered affirmatively, namely Seb at 8, Wainwright & Cory at 6, the young centre partnership and Holmes at 15. Nice to see Steff and Biggs have a couple of point proving performances too (although when he came on, Patch proved why he would always be my 10 if fit).

These second and in some case third stringers looked fit, hungry and decisive.

Special mention to Sanjay who is almost always on point and Jake Ball who has struggled to get back from numerous injuries but looked formidable today.
Williams over 1/2p at 15 for me after today for SA

Tonga just don't have the depth to absorb 11 injury call offs (or whatever it was) but they remain probably the second best coached Tier2 side in my opinion (behind Jamie Joseph).

Even Welsh folk I've never heard of, like the fullback here and the winger Josh last weekend seem to have successful appearances. Welsh depth is becoming very impressive.

Tonga just don't have the depth to absorb 11 injury call offs (or whatever it was) but they remain probably the second best coached Tier2 side in my opinion (behind Jamie Joseph).

Even Welsh folk I've never heard of, like the fullback here and the winger Josh last weekend seem to have successful appearances. Welsh depth is becoming very impressive.

Out of interest what league do you follow as Josh Adams really is not an unknown! Led the English prem in tries last season so he really shouldnt be unknown. He played in the Welsh side for most of last season too!

Jonah Holmes I can kind of see but he has been on serious form at Leicester for the past 6 months so again should be known to some degree.

Out of interest what league do you follow as Josh Adams really is not an unknown! Led the English prem in tries last season so he really shouldnt be unknown. He played in the Welsh side for most of last season too!

Jonah Holmes I can kind of see but he has been on serious form at Leicester for the past 6 months so again should be known to some degree.

Go easy on him dude, begrudging compliments are hard enough as it is!

Afraid I don't get much chance to see the Gallagher league! If it's not the Pro14, Super Rugby, Russian, Romanian or Amercian league then i don't know anything about it :D

All I can say is as a Welsh rugby team your damned if you do or damned if you don't , we beat Australia but its a boring and crap game , then we put 74 past Tonga and it's a second tier nation with injuries although if any other british nation had done that they be singing praises . I suppose the acid test is next weekend against SA but if we do manage to win that then there probably be some BUT involved . IRB have us as no.3 for a reason , but again what does rankings mean.

Go easy on him dude, begrudging compliments are hard enough as it is!

I just had to comment on the top try scorer in the biggest league in Europe being called an unknown.....even though he played several times internationally over the past year too!

All I can say is as a Welsh rugby team your damned if you do or damned if you don't , we beat Australia but its a boring and crap game , then we put 74 past Tonga and it's a second tier nation with injuries although if any other british nation had done that they be singing praises . I suppose the acid test is next weekend against SA but if we do manage to win that then there probably be some BUT involved . IRB have us as no.3 for a reason , but again what does rankings mean.

Yeah its strange HOW hard people outside of Wales find it to pay us any respect or compliments... not a complaint just an observation.

I noticed a comment on Stuff NZ about a month ago stating that, and I'm paraphrasing "we all know the welsh are the village idiots of rugby!"... so I took the bait and simply (& respectfully I might add) asked the fella why he (& the rest of the world) are peddling this mantra... and MY comment got removed LOL! I checked the house rules for removing comments and while I had broke none that I could see, the guy I was replying to had broke a few in that one comment alone... but his comment remained!

Fuel!

Last edited:
I just had to comment on the top try scorer in the biggest league in Europe being called an unknown.....even though he played several times internationally over the past year too!

Jokes.

Yeah its strange HOW hard people outside of Wales find it to pay us any respect or compliments... not a complaint just an observation.

I noticed a comment on Stuff NZ about a month ago stating that, and I'm paraphrasing "we all know the welsh are the village idiots of rugby!"... so I took the bait and simply (& respectfully I might add) asked the fella why he (& the rest of the world) are peddling this mantra... and MY comment got removed LOL! I checked the house rules for removing comments and while I had broke none that I could see, the guy I was replying to had broke a few in that one comment alone... but his comment remained!

Fuel!

Chris Rattue made the comment back in 2006 I think, he is certainly not indicative of NZ sentiment, he is as far as I can tell, almost universally hated in NZ too. And his articles have long been discredited for the click bait journalism that plagues news sites these days. Ignore him and don't take his bait.

Latest posts