• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Six Nations] England Squad

Yeah, **** Shields. He can earn his spot if he's good enough.
Everyone was queuing up to suck off Symons when he arrived but he's been an average journeyman

Have to say, I've hardly even heard of Sam Moore - any Sale fan who can shed some light on him?
Incredibly highly rated by people who have watched him but looked a little laclustre for England u20s. Not done anything wrong but not really stood out even a little bit.

Everyone was queuing up to suck off Symons when he arrived but he's been an average journeyman

Mostly people who don't watch very much SH rugby.

Shields is better than Symons and O'Connor, quite a bit better... but he's certainly not of the calibre that should be ordained before he's even got here.

Seeing as Armand doesn't get in because he's 28 I'd really hope not seeing as Rhodes is 30.

Whilst I too would prefer to have young, non-residency qualified talent given opportunities, I think we have seen enough from Jones to feel comfortable that he has a clear succession plan at most positions (perhaps 9 excluded).

With that in mind, I would rather we got a fantastic 18 months out of an "out-of-the-box" 28-35+ year old player, than invest in a great developmental prospect for RWC 2023. To date, this has been a null point, as most players that have fallen into this category have either been no better than the younger alternatives or they do not fit Jones's mold for their given position.

Rhodes, on the other hand, may be a different story. He provides Jones with the "lock-like" presence at 6, but plays more like a flanker masquerading as a lock rather than reverse (which is how I see Itoje and Lawes). He's a more dynamic carrier than either Itoje/Lawes, destructive tackler, good line out operator and has a solid impact at the breakdown (~=Robshaw).

Given the chance I feel like he could be the missing piece for the back row...

Note: Haven't seen enough of Shields to comment on his impact. He looks to be a similar type of player, slightly quicker, slightly less physical.

Whilst I too would prefer to have young, non-residency qualified talent given opportunities, I think we have seen enough from Jones to feel comfortable that he has a clear succession plan at most positions (perhaps 9 excluded).

With that in mind, I would rather we got a fantastic 18 months out of an "out-of-the-box" 28-35+ year old player, than invest in a great developmental prospect for RWC 2023. To date, this has been a null point, as most players that have fallen into this category have either been no better than the younger alternatives or they do not fit Jones's mold for their given position.

Rhodes, on the other hand, may be a different story. He provides Jones with the "lock-like" presence at 6, but plays more like a flanker masquerading as a lock rather than reverse (which is how I see Itoje and Lawes). He's a more dynamic carrier than either Itoje/Lawes, destructive tackler, good line out operator and has a solid impact at the breakdown (~=Robshaw).

Given the chance I feel like he could be the missing piece for the back row...

Note: Haven't seen enough of Shields to comment on his impact. He looks to be a similar type of player, slightly quicker, slightly less physical.
All of that could be said of Armand.

Chris Jones from 5live just tweeted - Sam Simmonds out for England's next two matches with shoulder problem. Nathan Hughes set to come back in. "He's back fit, fresh, but has plenty of conditioning work to do," Eddie Jones tells us.

Chris Jones from 5live just tweeted - Sam Simmonds out for England's next two matches with shoulder problem. Nathan Hughes set to come back in. "He's back fit, fresh, but has plenty of conditioning work to do," Eddie Jones tells us.

That's a shame, I really want to see Simmonds at 7.

If Hughes' conditioning is poor then that means we can look forward to more Robshaw at 8!

If Hughes' conditioning is poor then that means we can look forward to more Robshaw at 8!
Oh god i hope not, its going to be robshaw underhill and hughes, mercer on the bench or hughes on bench and mercer starts. But either way hopefully no more back 3 of lawes underhill robshaw lol

Would hold the horses on Shields currently.

How many New Zealand forwards who have come over to play for England really hit it big in the prem?
He's 27 with 70 super rugby caps and in the 6 years of playing top level rugby in New Zealand not been capped by them.

It isn't like Willis has started 2 games, he's played in 14 Prem/Champions cup matches this season out of 20 and he's impressed in all the ones i've seen.

People ready to roll the red carpet for sheilds because he was a super rugby regular has no one learnt from O'Connor and Symons?
I mean he might be great. but watching super rugby not sure what he brings that flankers here don't have.

For the record. I agree on Shields. However, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him go straight in to the squad (as Te'o and Francis did) without playing a game for Wasps.

To Toby's point, Rhodes offers something similar to Armand who is already available and currently overlooked.

Oh for crying out loud at this rate we'll be starting 5 2nd rows on St. Paddys Day

Oh god i hope not, its going to be robshaw underhill and hughes, mercer on the bench or hughes on bench and mercer starts. But either way hopefully no more back 3 of lawes underhill robshaw lol
You have for too much faith in EJ agreeing with TRF on backrow balance :p

Oh for crying out loud at this rate we'll be starting 5 2nd rows on St. Paddys Day
6. Itoje, 7. Armand, 8. Beaumont
Probably more balanced than anything we've put out so far :p

Gutted about Simmonds.

Mercer has been released back to Bath so that pretty much KOs any chance of him being in the 23 for Scotland.

With no billy, hughes(if not up to speed) or simmonds, then what is our strongest back row? Please say its actually not robshaw lawes and underhill? Is mercer seriously not being given a shot? He's had alot of time in camp, he isnt an apprentice anymore why wont EJ use him. Or bring in B curry he's on form. Or even willis as tigs said to add a different dimension to our game. Just not robshaw at 8.

What's the story with Ben Morgan currently? Is he injured because if not then surely even if he's in poor form he's better than Robshaw at 8.

Latest posts