• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Six Nations] England Squad

Vellacott overtaking Robson is purely to get him capped IMO.

Robson so much better in all areas.
Havnt seen much of vellacott, he is obv a very quick but how is he at controlling the game. It also depends on the type pf player EJ wants. Does he have quick delivery?

England are going to win the 6N with that squad. Good balance of experience and newcomers. Got a glimpse of Marcus Smith's ability and he's a talent.

Ireland favourites for me, by a fair distance.

That's what my gut says too. My guess is that the bookies are placing a lot of emphasis on the fact that the potential decider takes place at Twickenham. Personally I'd weigh that off against the fact that England appear to be doing the same thing and expecting different results when it comes to beating Ireland and have a potential banana skin in the shape of a trip to Murrayfield. Maybe there's not as much value on Ireland as I'm perceiving, but surely there is some and shall be having a nibble accordingly.

Yeah, Ireland's pack our going to make us their *****es. Every single one of their forwards is a dominant ball carrier; we have 1. Also wouldn't be at all surprised if we get beaten by Scotland. Or Wales and France come to think of it. Our pack selection is just so physically weak.

Really have no idea what our team will be against Italy. Will Eddie go bold? Would like to see Mercer and Earle get some game time.

LCD's omission is baffling. Can only think Eddie's not yet convinced by his arrows, but he offers so much else. I'm a fan of "the basics", but is he really no better than our 4th choice?

As for 9, its almost like Eddie's getting a buzz from the unnecessary risk. What other logical explanation is there? Seems that only injury will change his thinking.....let's hope it doesn't come at a key time.

Really have no idea what our team will be against Italy. Will Eddie go bold? Would like to see Mercer and Earle get some game time.

LCD's omission is baffling. Can only think Eddie's not yet convinced by his arrows, but he offers so much else. I'm a fan of "the basics", but is he really no better than our 4th choice?

As for 9, its almost like Eddie's getting a buzz from the unnecessary risk. What other logical explanation is there? Seems that only injury will change his thinking.....let's hope it doesn't come at a key time.
He said that having more than 2 9s in a training camp is inconvenient because if you're training with 2 teams against eachother then 1 9 is always going to be doing nothing and so it limits their training time. I see his point but I'm not sure it warrants the massive risk that comes with it of going to a RWC with an uncapped 9 as your only backup. But hey-ho, in Eddie we trust.

I'm in favour of LCD getting a little more form and fitness at club level before being drafted in to a training session without playing in a match.
He can still come in later in the competition after all, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's 3rd choice hooker in the event of an actual injury/ban (excepting head of Italy).

As for 9s, I'm much happier having heard that Robson and Vellacott are in the wider EPS squad; though I'd still like thatm to be training with the squad as well (for the last 2-3 years in Robson's case). Besides, I don't believe Eddie's comments on training with more than 2 SHs, given that he does like to have 3 full tight5s; and 3 each for 10-13. Surely the extra 9 could go train with the extra 10, 12 and 13? or maybe just hang around witht eh squad and (potentially) get a reality check as to the step-up in expectations. Or even, horror of horror; get the chance to show that they're better than the incumbents in training!

In more pressing matters it would seem that NZ's back up 15 and guy who can play 10 will be Damian Mackenzie for the WC (Ben Smith to come back) . Ours is Harry Mallinder...

England are going to win the 6N with that squad. Good balance of experience and newcomers. Got a glimpse of Marcus Smith's ability and he's a talent.
Is this like reverse arrogance?
I think we'll come third or 4th

He said that having more than 2 9s in a training camp is inconvenient because if you're training with 2 teams against eachother then 1 9 is always going to be doing nothing and so it limits their training time.

Meanwhile, all 3 hookers and 6 props.....

Apparently (second hand story from someone who was involved with the camp) Eddie has a series of tests that he requires all his forwards to pass and considers them sacrosanct - fail them and you're not playing. According to the story, this is why Ewers is on the outside looking in. As LCD is coming back from injury, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he's struggling to pass one or more of these tests. Pure conjecture and the source of the story could have been making it up for all I know, so take it for what it's worth.

Assuming Ford and Farrell continue as 10-12 is it going to be Teo or Joseph outside them? While the front 5 is pretty scary that backrow is a bit under whelming, some talented young players in there though.

Assuming Ford and Farrell continue as 10-12 is it going to be Teo or Joseph outside them? While the front 5 is pretty scary that backrow is a bit under whelming, some talented young players in there though.
Is it? In the front row Vunipola's quality but Hartley and Cole are both dead weight. In the second row, Itoje's recently back from injury and is hardly pulling up trees anymore, Kruis has gone missing, Isiekwe's 19 and Lawes and Launchbury have dipped from their excellent form of last season and earlier this year. They're hardly scary.

Is it? In the front row Vunipola's quality but Hartley and Cole are both dead weight. In the second row, Itoje's recently back from injury and is hardly pulling up trees anymore, Kruis has gone missing, Isiekwe's 19 and Lawes and Launchbury have dipped from their excellent form of last season and earlier this year. They're hardly scary.

I was thinking of George and Sinckler starting although I doubt that's going to happen. Even out of form Lawes and Launchbury is still a lot better than what most counties can put out.

Is this like reverse arrogance?
I think we'll come third or 4th
Don't know if this reverse arrogance but it's false modesty in your case. You know England under Eddie Jones and with 18 wins is not going to finish 3rd or 4th. Come on.

Don't know if this reverse arrogance but it's false modesty in your case. You know England under Eddie Jones and with 18 wins is not going to finish 3rd or 4th. Come on.

Amount of injuries we have and current strength of the Irish provinces I think winning it would be massive. 2nd or 3rd is realistic for me.

Latest posts