• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

(2022 Rugby Championship - Round 2) - South Africa v New Zealand (13/8/2022)

It *might* work out fine. Even so why not give yourself every chance you can. I understand the need for developing depth and giving Dweba the chance to redeem himself and continue to build confidence in the test arena but surely you don't do that vs NZ- at least not from anywhere other than the bench considering the form Marx is on?

Marx at 28 has another RWC in him looking post 2023. Mbonambi probably will have his last RWC next year (at 31 currently). I can't see him doing a Schalk Brits at 36 assuming the likes of Dweba (26) and Grobbelaar (24) keep developing and pushing. Its good that we have options but Marx is a player where you could argue his case to be included in a world XV and currently I think we only have about 3 of those even if we have good depth. The man is on form, play him.

How abysmal was Dane Coles when he came on though wow haven't seen him that bad ever I don't think.

How abysmal was Dane Coles when he came on though wow haven't seen him that bad ever I don't think.
I had the same idea. Not his type of game though TBF. A number of NZ forwards looked off it TBH- at least some credit has to go to our boys though for keeping them out of the match.

Nienaber has made it clear by starting Dweba now that Mbonambi is injured that he is trying to prove a point/ has a clear plan.

But I disagree, come on let Dweba come off the bench, why does Marx need to finish the game?

But as others have said I do rate Dweba, just not as much as Marx.

Quick question Nienaber and some fans say it's the same if you come on in the first half or the second half. It's not to say the one player is better by starting, its just different roles.

So we want to believe Nienaber. Yes, we believe you, let's move on. But then for the 50th game of Marx he gets a start because its a milestone and they want to make it 'special' - so what he is inadvertently saying is that in order to make it special you need to start, therefore more value is placed on the starter, and Marx is privileged to have been given this opportunity on his milestone game. If Marx believed that his substitute role is of equal value then why bother staring him for his 50th game? The player believes he is equal right?

Nienaber has made it clear by starting Dweba now that Mbonambi is injured that he is trying to prove a point/ has a clear plan.

But I disagree, come on let Dweba come off the bench, why does Marx need to finish the game?

But as others have said I do rate Dweba, just not as much as Marx.

Quick question Nienaber and some fans say it's the same if you come on in the first half or the second half. It's not to say the one player is better by starting, its just different roles.

So we want to believe Nienaber. Yes, we believe you, let's move on. But then for the 50th game of Marx he gets a start because its a milestone and they want to make it 'special' - so what he is inadvertently saying is that in order to make it special you need to start, therefore more value is placed on the starter, and Marx is privileged to have been given this opportunity on his milestone game. If Marx believed that his substitute role is of equal value then why bother staring him for his 50th game? The player believes he is equal right?
Could be that they wanted to let him leave the field during the game so the crowd could applaud him, or maybe Marx wanted to start.

I was at a wedding watching last weeks game on my phone and half time came at the perfect time for me, as I was about to do my best man speech haha. Gave the HT score as my icebreaker. Hoping this weekend the AB are more competitive and obviously for SA to still win.

Nz will get one or two freak tries - but the better team will win

Problems with nz side
Dane Coles playing at all
akira Ioane
Havili at 12
Ian Foster - only game they won this year was when he had covid

Was hardly going to drop cane.

Don't like that frizell is there; if they wanted more grunt at 6 they could have played Scott or vaai.

Lomax may not have been demolished last week but he's been significantly worse than taavao in super rugby all season.

Havili ione hasn't worked yet as it's unbalanced, even more so with mounga at ten - at least beauden could take it to the line. They're going to have to be pretty slick to make this combo work.

Hey but give it a go, why not, one last hurrah . Hope they have some fun

The rest of the season is going to be a massive anticlimax

Last edited:
Big call to drop BB as in my view he alongside Savea were NZs best players unless I missed something. I suppose one could expect more familiarity with Mounga and Havili if that's what they were looking for? I just think you'd rather just drop Havili - solid on D but looked like he was out of sync on NZ's own ball with those around him. ALB injured I assume?

Was hardly going to drop cane.

Don't like that frizell is there; if they wanted more grunt at 6 they could have played Scott or vaai.

Lomax may not have been demolished last week but he's been significantly worse than taavao in super rugby all season.

Havili ione hasn't worked yet as it's unbalanced, even more so with mounga at ten - at least beauden could take it to the line. They're going to have to be pretty slick to make this combo work.

Hey but give it a go, why not, one last hurrah . Hope they have some fun

The rest of the season is going to be a massive anticlimax
Help me out here, who was the guy who played at 6 for the highlanders. Big guy, almost lock big. Pretty sure he had a mullet, dark hair. I remember him getting injured ages ago but nothing to bad. This is years ago now so I'm assuming he's retired or something but I'm completely drawing a blank on his name and it's doing my head in.

Anyway, he was great.

The ABs are going to get absolutely annihilated this week - I can feel it. The Boks will win by 20.
They got annihilated last week.

I think it'll be closer but the Boks should win. NZ will still be in the game around the hour mark but will lose out in the last 20. Exactly how Wales v NZ games go usually.

Big call to drop BB as in my view he alongside Savea were NZs best players unless I missed something. I suppose one could expect more familiarity with Mounga and Havili if that's what they were looking for? I just think you'd rather just drop Havili - solid on D but looked like he was out of sync on NZ's own ball with those around him. ALB injured I assume?
Alb very much injured. Smith, mounga, havili all will try and shovel it on and ione will then try and run it from 20 metres behind the advantage line with no support.

"Help me out here, who was the guy who played at 6 for the highlanders. Big guy, almost lock big. Pretty sure he had a mullet, dark hair. I remember him getting injured ages ago but nothing to bad. This is years ago now so I'm assuming he's retired or something but I'm completely drawing a blank on his name and it's doing my head in.Anyway, he was great.
I'm guessing you are referring to Elliot Dixon

Last edited:
I think Mo'unga is a good shout with this current team. BB works with a pack in charge of the game. He can't ploy his teams way to victory when he only has parity or worse.

Jordie at 12 with BB at 15 is probably worth a shot though, not sure what they're trying to achieve with Havili

The Waikato 9 10 12 13 combo of roe mckenzie leuila b. Sullivan is a better combo, (though leuila is not eligible for all blacks now he played for samoa.)

Alb very much injured. Smith, mounga, havili all will try and shovel it on and ione will then try and run it from 20 metres behind the advantage line with no support.

I'm guessing you are referring to Elliot Dixon
Nah, just remembered. It's Liam Squire I'm thinking about. What happened to him? He's probably really old now anyway but I thought he was a beast.

Could be that they wanted to let him leave the field during the game so the crowd could applaud him, or maybe Marx wanted to start.
yeah that's what we do in basketball here in the states. Even the scrubs start on senior night and get pulled at the first whistle so they get a big ovation.

I'd say between Marx and Bongi who would start doesn't really matter cause the chance of either having a complete shocker is quite low. But if you are going to play someone that is risky (either an injury or inexperienced) you should start them so that you can pull the trigger on the sub. If you have them on the bench you are screwed once you realize they can't play in the game.

Do the All Blacks go home from here or first to Aus or Arg?
Will the new Coach be meeting them in Aus or Arg
Is Sam Cane flying with Fossy?
Is Fossy and Cane's flight on Sat or Sunday?
I think Dane Coles should go with them.....no I'm Joking keep him for a long time ....great at lineouts and does not just stand on wing like a fat center....

Last edited:

Latest posts